• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter behaviour problem

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
The girls have taken to peeing just outside their litter tray - let me show you in the pictures.

The white bits outside the tray are a baking powder to soak up and slightly neutralise until I can get some white vinegar (won't be left - will monitor then hoover once dried).

Short of ripping the carpet up I don't know what to do. The room set up makes it difficult to move the tray etc. I thought of just putting a mat down over the area.

They are normally so good but this seems to have become a habit as of late. I've no idea who does it as it's done when we are not in the room/upstairs.
7d3f52ef6cabf9203aceb87541b34775.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

My two do this too, similar to you it came on all of a sudden, and pee on the carpet next to their litter tray. I just put down a puppy pad and they go on that. Some days they'll pee a couple of times on it, and other days it can be left for 2-3 days and nothing!!

I swear my two just enjoy keeping me on my toes, but I'll certainly keep an eye on your thread to see what others say! Both of mine have been for health check ups incase it was a build up of calcium or something, but nope both are perfectly fine! Bunnies hey?!?! :lol: :lol:

The girls have taken to peeing just outside their litter tray - let me show you in the pictures.

The white bits outside the tray are a baking powder to soak up and slightly neutralise until I can get some white vinegar (won't be left - will monitor then hoover once dried).

Short of ripping the carpet up I don't know what to do. The room set up makes it difficult to move the tray etc. I thought of just putting a mat down over the area.

They are normally so good but this seems to have become a habit as of late. I've no idea who does it as it's done when we are not in the room/upstairs.
7d3f52ef6cabf9203aceb87541b34775.jpg

I would put a mat down for now, then investigate any urinary tract problems.

You'd have to separate temporarily and get samples from both to be tested.

What a pain! xx

I would put a mat down for now, then investigate any urinary tract problems.

You'd have to separate temporarily and get samples from both to be tested.

What a pain! xx

I could get a sample from bladder express for a quick urine test. I hadn't even thought of doing a UTI check as both seem so perfectly healthy & we've had no changes in behaviour etc. I've got some dipstiks here so will do a test to see what the values are like (They've been peeing on the rug downstairs - don't tell him). I just paid to have it professionally cleaned while he was at work and they haven't *touch wood* peed on it again.

I could get a sample from bladder express for a quick urine test. I hadn't even thought of doing a UTI check as both seem so perfectly healthy & we've had no changes in behaviour etc. I've got some dipstiks here so will do a test to see what the values are like (They've been peeing on the rug downstairs - don't tell him). I just paid to have it professionally cleaned while he was at work and they haven't *touch wood* peed on it again.

Yes I had this. No sign of anything wrong at all. Eating and behaving normally.

Results came back as a bad UTI and plenty blood in urine :(

ps. A steam cleaner is cheaper, if you need to deal with this kind of thing regularly, at the moment x

Yes I had this. No sign of anything wrong at all. Eating and behaving normally.

Results came back as a bad UTI and plenty blood in urine :(

ps. A steam cleaner is cheaper, if you need to deal with this kind of thing regularly, at the moment x
Steam would ruin the rug due to its type of pile :(

Will definitely do a urine test on them. OH is all okay with it. He's trying not to stress. (He hates to think of one being ill).
He said Phoebe just drank half a bowl of water, but I just watched Daphne do the same and they've just eaten readigrass.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will have urine checked, neutralise the carpet and put down a rug. Have got a puppy pen so I can split their room and separate them for a few hours to collect samples, if that fails I'll express their bladders manually.

Steam would ruin the rug due to its type of pile :(

Will definitely do a urine test on them. OH is all okay with it. He's trying not to stress. (He hates to think of one being ill).
He said Phoebe just drank half a bowl of water, but I just watched Daphne do the same and they've just eaten readigrass.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will have urine checked, neutralise the carpet and put down a rug. Have got a puppy pen so I can split their room and separate them for a few hours to collect samples, if that fails I'll express their bladders manually.

Both me and the vet tried that with mine, but the bladder was so small (and she must have just had a pee) that neither of us could get anything.

Good luck xx

Both me and the vet tried that with mine, but the bladder was so small (and she must have just had a pee) that neither of us could get anything.

Good luck xx
Mine pee on average every 4 hours. I used to be the bladder queen in practice as if a bladder couldn't be expressed they'd make me try and I'd always get just enough to do a PCV & dipstik

daphnephoebe;6950502[B said:
]Mine pee on average every 4 hours.[/B] I used to be the bladder queen in practice as if a bladder couldn't be expressed they'd make me try and I'd always get just enough to do a PCV & dipstik

Yes that's how long it took me to get the first sample :D

Second time didn't take so long :thumb:

Yes that's how long it took me to get the first sample :D

Second time didn't take so long :thumb:
Dipstik was normal apart from trace amounts of blood for both so I'm gonna get the vet to send some samples off for a proper urinalysis.

Dipstik was normal apart from trace amounts of blood for both so I'm gonna get the vet to send some samples off for a proper urinalysis.

OK, be good to know exactly what's going on here ...

How will you get the samples? Expression or cystocentesis?

OK, be good to know exactly what's going on here ...

How will you get the samples? Expression or cystocentesis?
Likely just expression as it'll be easier to get a 'safe' sample. I can't trust them to stay still enough at the vets for cysto.

Back