• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit is hurt, injured paw, please help!

Beapig

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Bea and Ham were out in their runs today, both very relaxed, same as usual. I turned my back for one second and saw the neighbour's cat right up by Bea's run. He's a scaredy cat and ran off immediately. Bea looked freaked out, I don't know if she's seen a cat before, and when I turned around I could hear a bit of a commotion. I don't think the cat went for her (it is a real scaredy cat) but I think she freaked and got her claw stuck in the bars when she bolted.

Long story short, she has blood on her paw and the claw is double the length of the others, as if it's almost been totally pulled out. She is licking it and won't let me touch it. There isn't loads of blood but she has a white nose and she has blood on it from washing.

For a start, I'm concerned that ALL of her claws are too long. But when I took her to the vet for her vaccs last week she didn't say they were too long, so I have no idea. I will try and get a pic, but they're definitely longer than Ham's. She came from a flat and I don't think she has anything to wear them down on. Feeling really guilty/worried that I should have cut her claws myself and that this could have been avoided.

What should I do? :( Our local vet shuts in half an hour. She doesn't seem to be in serious pain or anything but it's hard to tell with rabbits I guess. The claw is on an angle and looks pretty horrible. Very upset about this!

P.s. all of her nails stick out about 1.5cm. To me it looks too long, but when she went to the vet last week for a general checkup and looked her all over she didn't say anything. I don't know what to do!

Hi everyone,

Bea and Ham were out in their runs today, both very relaxed, same as usual. I turned my back for one second and saw the neighbour's cat right up by Bea's run. He's a scaredy cat and ran off immediately. Bea looked freaked out, I don't know if she's seen a cat before, and when I turned around I could hear a bit of a commotion. I don't think the cat went for her (it is a real scaredy cat) but I think she freaked and got her claw stuck in the bars when she bolted.

Long story short, she has blood on her paw and the claw is double the length of the others, as if it's almost been totally pulled out. She is licking it and won't let me touch it. There isn't loads of blood but she has a white nose and she has blood on it from washing.

For a start, I'm concerned that ALL of her claws are too long. But when I took her to the vet for her vaccs last week she didn't say they were too long, so I have no idea. I will try and get a pic, but they're definitely longer than Ham's. She came from a flat and I don't think she has anything to wear them down on. Feeling really guilty/worried that I should have cut her claws myself and that this could have been avoided.

What should I do? :( Our local vet shuts in half an hour. She doesn't seem to be in serious pain or anything but it's hard to tell with rabbits I guess. The claw is on an angle and looks pretty horrible. Very upset about this!

If the nail is torn to a strange angle and Bea wont let you take a proper look then I'd get her to the Vet. The nail will need to be removed and it's important to check that the toe is not dislocated/fractured. Bea could probably do with some pain relief too. Try not to panic, I am sure she will be fine :)

Hi everyone,

Oh Bea I am sorry to hear this!

To be honest, it will probably be OK!

How do you feel about cutting her claws now, tonight? (I don't know whether you've managed to get to the vet in the meantime, I am assuming not?) Have you someone who can help you with it?

Shining a torch light behind the nail will highlight the quick and enable you to cut more precisely and without damage.

If you can do this, then that's what I would do, and have a look at this pesky nail. The only alternative would be to visit the vet. It's highly unlikely she's done any more damage than to the nail itself, but the vet can deal with that one with a proper exam, and if necessary cut the others.

Please don't worry - it's sooo common :)

Thank you Jack's-Jane and Mighty Max for your advice and support <3 We called the vet and rushed her there before it closed. He had a look at her and it turned out she had ripped the entire nail out. The bleeding had stopped though and he looked at her other nails and said that they weren't too long. I picked her a big pile of dandilions and some fresh hay to try and cheer her up.

Cats are my all time favourite animals, but dang that ginger cat for freaking her out haha. On the way out of the house, running to get my bag, I also found another neighbour's cat asleep on our bed. We honestly have 30+ cats in my small street (they hang around like youths on the corner!)

Thank you Jack's-Jane and Mighty Max for your advice and support <3 We called the vet and rushed her there before it closed. He had a look at her and it turned out she had ripped the entire nail out. The bleeding had stopped though and he looked at her other nails and said that they weren't too long. I picked her a big pile of dandilions and some fresh hay to try and cheer her up.

Cats are my all time favourite animals, but dang that ginger cat for freaking her out haha. On the way out of the house, running to get my bag, I also found another neighbour's cat asleep on our bed. We honestly have 30+ cats in my small street (they hang around like youths on the corner!)

You're welcome :)

I'm really glad you made it to the vets, and the nails are all an OK length!

Poor wee girlie, I am sure she will be back to normal soon, especially with those treats :)

Back