• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I don't know what to do...

Ponymad21

Warren Scout
I've got the offer of taking on a possibly spayed female to bond with my neutered male, but I'm not sure what to do, I have had really bad luck and lost 2 rabbits in the last year but I feel mean keeping my male alone

The lady reforming her took her in as a rescue, the owners claimed she was a 2-3 year old spayed female but she's not 100% sure this is true

Its always best if you can to have your rabbits in pairs for company and comfort.

But its a decision you have to decide on yourself, I would try to find out if the female is spayed, if not this is something you would have to do before bonding her to your male. Its always best to have both neutered before a bond takes place.

Whatever you decide to do good luck with it and I hope it goes well.

Its always best if you can to have your rabbits in pairs for company and comfort.

But its a decision you have to decide on yourself, I would try to find out if the female is spayed, if not this is something you would have to do before bonding her to your male. Its always best to have both neutered before a bond takes place.

Whatever you decide to do good luck with it and I hope it goes well.

How Can I find out if she is spayed? The only way I know of is exploratory surgery, which I want to get an already spayed female so I don't have to put them through surgery and risk losing them under the anaesthetic

My guess would be that she is spayed as she is very happy to be stroked, handled and with other bunnies

How Can I find out if she is spayed? The only way I know of is exploratory surgery, which I want to get an already spayed female so I don't have to put them through surgery and risk losing them under the anaesthetic

My guess would be that she is spayed as she is very happy to be stroked, handled and with other bunnies

You or your vet may find traces of a scar where the spay was, if it's within a certain time back.

You could also ask your vet about ultrasound.

I agree, you don't want to have a doe that's not spayed if you can help it - will the Rescue go any way to finding out for you? It would make life simpler and perhaps save heartache on both sides (yours if she is spayed, and the rabbit's if she isn't and has a risk of cancer).

You or your vet may find traces of a scar where the spay was, if it's within a certain time back.

You could also ask your vet about ultrasound.

I agree, you don't want to have a doe that's not spayed if you can help it - will the Rescue go any way to finding out for you? It would make life simpler and perhaps save heartache on both sides (yours if she is spayed, and the rabbit's if she isn't and has a risk of cancer).

She's not a rescue, she just took the doe in as an emergency to rehome her to a good home

I'm nervous that if I get another rabbit that they'll get sick and I'll lose them too, though the first couldn't have been avoided and the second was ultimately the vets fault

My last 2 came from a bad home but both were spayed and vaccinated, the owners did tell the lady that has her now that she's spayed

I see, so she came through a third person?

Try and back track to the original vet if you can. Best to do it now rather than leave it.
A bunny being cut open unnecessary might be at stake :)

I see, so she came through a third person?

Try and back track to the original vet if you can. Best to do it now rather than leave it.
A bunny being cut open unnecessary might be at stake :)

The first owners gave her up to the lady that has her now, who took her in to rehome her

Back