Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 77

Thread: New concerned parents attempting bonding......

  1. #21
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    IOW
    Posts
    15,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
    Could you elaborate further please? Any advice / comments gratefully received.
    I got the impression from your above post that you had put them in their new house. Is everything ok?

  2. #22

    Default

    They were indeed in there new house for about an hour before a bit of a chase and some fur pulling broke out (I didn't see it happen), I had been leaving them during the day in a different small pen with out any incidents. When I saw the fur (no injuries) I put them back in their separate pens, looking back, I believe I should have left them as they were both quite happily sat in their litter trays by then. Over protective parent syndrome.

    Assuming I get a couple of days incident free in the new home, should I be able to trust them together for their first night in the new home?

  3. #23
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    IOW
    Posts
    15,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
    They were indeed in there new house for about an hour before a bit of a chase and some fur pulling broke out (I didn't see it happen), I had been leaving them during the day in a different small pen with out any incidents. When I saw the fur (no injuries) I put them back in their separate pens, looking back, I believe I should have left them as they were both quite happily sat in their litter trays by then. Over protective parent syndrome.

    Assuming I get a couple of days incident free in the new home, should I be able to trust them together for their first night in the new home?
    If they have spent a whole day together without any incidents then you should be fairly safe to leave them o/night. The fact that the female has gone for your male would worry me slightly and you may need to be more sure of his safety before leaving them overnight without supervision. Obviously there will come a point when you will have to trust her so fingers crossed they will settle down happily together.

  4. #24

    Default

    They managed about 4 hours together yesterday, mainly unsupervised as they were getting on so well. There was some laying together, some licking and nosing and generally all positive things but mainly they just ignored each other with the odd playful chase. Then she nipped some fur from his rump again, gave her a spray of water and all was good for about another half hour, then she took loads of fur from him and we split them up once again after using a spray of water to diffuse the situation. She knows she's does wrong each time as she goes and hides when you walk in.

    Is the spray of water method as mentioned else where in the forum the best way to discourage and end this fur nipping or do I have other options?

  5. #25
    Warren Veteran daphnephoebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    9,978

    Default

    I found the water spray method didn't help. It just made mine associate each other with something negative.

    Fur pulling I just leave them to it. If you're worried about it being excessive just throw a towel over them, gentle separate them and then let them continue interacting.

    Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Even the strongest need to have a day of weakness

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daphnephoebe View Post
    I found the water spray method didn't help. It just made mine associate each other with something negative.

    Fur pulling I just leave them to it. If you're worried about it being excessive just throw a towel over them, gentle separate them and then let them continue interacting.
    I totally agree.......now. I spoke with a behaviorist yesterday who was not impressed with the water method spray method and gave me a good talking too. The sprayed rabbit will likely associate the other rabbit and the person spraying with something bad / negative.

    I have returned them today back to their smaller neutral area with great results. The towel method works well without the shock. The one time she looked like she might go for his fur I just held the towel in front of her and that was enough to prevent anything further. No other incidents today and they have been together 3 hours. I shall be using the same small area tomorrow and then back to the large new bunny shed Monday but with a smaller enclosed area to start with.

  7. #27
    Warren Veteran daphnephoebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    9,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
    I totally agree.......now. I spoke with a behaviorist yesterday who was not impressed with the water method spray method and gave me a good talking too. The sprayed rabbit will likely associate the other rabbit and the person spraying with something bad / negative.

    I have returned them today back to their smaller neutral area with great results. The towel method works well without the shock. The one time she looked like she might for his fur I just held the towel in front of her and that was enough to prevent anything further. No other incidents today and they have been together 3 hours. I shall be using the same small area tomorrow and then back to the large new bunny shed Monday but with a smaller enclosed area to start with.
    Best starting small and very gradually increasing - try not to rush them into a larger space.
    Best of luck but if you can get them to spend 24-48 hours without incident in their current small place before moving to the shed that will give you a better starting base for the move.

    Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Even the strongest need to have a day of weakness

  8. #28
    Warren Scout JuliaW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Hi Mark. Just to reiterate what DP has said I wouldn't worry about fur pulling. As long as you know the skin isn't being broken and it's not escalating it does seem v normal. 3 months after bonding ours I still find occaisional clumps of fur but bunnies don't bear grudges against other bunnies like we would. Snuggling after fur pulling seems the norm. Good luck x

    Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

  9. #29

    Default

    Can I ask, what size area would you suggest for them to spend their first 24-48 hours together?
    Last edited by Mark1; 14-10-2017 at 08:23 PM.

  10. #30

    Default

    Thank you Julia, I've sort of got used to it now, I know it's not as horrendous as it may look at first to new bunny parents.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •