• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New concerned parents attempting bonding......

HI Guys, thanks for all your comments, it really helps and I can't wait to see them in there new home together.

Ok, currently I am using a neutral space in the garage, it's hard doing long lengths of time out there and I really don't want to sleep out there for a few nights. We have a secure, unheated entrance porch, about 5 x 3, we are planning on using this for bonding now as it attaches to our lounge. Although it is unheated, it is warmer than there shed as it is attached to the house, do I need to be concerned bringing them into this area and then returning them to the cooler shed after several hours or longer?

HI Guys, thanks for all your comments, it really helps and I can't wait to see them in there new home together.

Ok, currently I am using a neutral space in the garage, it's hard doing long lengths of time out there and I really don't want to sleep out there for a few nights. We have a secure, unheated entrance porch, about 5 x 3, we are planning on using this for bonding now as it attaches to our lounge. Although it is unheated, it is warmer than there shed as it is attached to the house, do I need to be concerned bringing them into this area and then returning them to the cooler shed after several hours or longer?
I wouldn't be too concerned. Just make sure radiators are turned off and if you have a window in there open that up to allow air in.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

What a great day today :) Rained off from work (shame), hurriedly put together the new indoor area and promptly brought them in. What can I say, after investigating, sniffing, they just got on with being bunnies. They have laid together, sniffed each other, ignored each other, eat together and a whole load of sleeping. Even some mutual licking of ears. Jupiter, has sniffed his rump roughly a few times but no nips, he just slowly hopped away, certainly nothing to concern me. They have now been together 9 hours, they were doing so well I just couldn't part them earlier. Even felt like leaving them in together tonight.

How many long sessions do you suggest before leaving them for a night?

Leave them together over night. Just sleep on the sofa so if there is a big fight you're there to break them up. (You don't need to separate unless they cause injury to each other).

There may be some scuffles, fur pulling etc overnight but it's completely normal and isn't a sign that they need to be separated.

Ok, thank you, really grateful for all your advice. Beginning to feel quite relaxed and confident now. Some pics from my FB Page of today - Marks FB page

22495948_1528868813819107_5745080487463492421_o.jpg
22550560_1528869070485748_3077908377188320766_o.jpg
22498940_1528868760485779_1650864420944945362_o.jpg
22548871_1528868743819114_5938033523631791029_o.jpg

Last edited:
That looks very good. They're obviously relaxed together.
Perfect pictures.

How were they over night?

I had already returned them to their separate places last night when I posted, they can see and kiss through the mesh though. First night will be tomorrow as I guess I won't get much sleep either way and no work Saturday.

How many successful nights do they need with me on the sofa before I can move them to their new home?

I'll restrict the space in their new home this time similar to the neutral size area. Can they be moved here in the morning so they can be monitored for the day and then left for the night? I certainly won't be able to sleep in / near the new home over night.

I kept my four in the bonding pen for over a week before putting them in their shed (tip. keep dirty litter trays to move with them, less to get territorial over). They were totally fine. Still are two house moves later!

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...now-a-quad-More-pics!&highlight=bonding+begun

Sorry about lack of pics. Bl***y photobucket.

Here they are having free range time, something that they have only been able to have in the last year due to having a secure garden at last;

35iu0jm.jpg

Last edited:
I was the same as Tulsi but mine stayed in there for almost 2 weeks as they kept bickering at the beginning.
When they move definitely move them in the AM so you have the day to monitor them. If you can pop out every couple hours overnight to check on them it's worth while too for the first couple nights once moved outside.

Last edited:
10 hours today, introduced a cardboard box for them to play with and they loved it. They are back in their separate pens now, my plan is, if all stays as is, next 2 days / nights in the small area then early on the third day, in time for breakfast, into the new bunny shed where I can monitor most the day. Depending how that goes I shall make a judgement call on where they spend the next night.

@tulsi - Love your free range rabbits and you're somewhere near me too. Thanks for litter tray tip.

@daphnephoebe - I'm sure I won't be sleeping and out at least every 2 hours ;-)

In an ideal world, I would love to have them in the small space for longer, but, as they are doing so well, I'm hoping to move them to the new home this weekend so I can be close for a few days before back to work. Of course, the two of them may have other ideas!

eeekkk. Your latest updates are wonderful - it looks like you have a pair of bonded bunnies :love:

Its a bit different I guess as I don't have outside bunnies but I've normally left them overnight once they've achieved what yours have for that long; I was getting nothing but loved up vibes from them.

I'm looking very forward to your updates and I'm constantly checking the thread :)

Good luck for the weekend - I hope they don't spoil your plans :)

Oh best of luck. I am in Petersfield in the South East of Hampshire.

They are out atm. Just discovered the art of digging under the shed today so had to block it off with bricks ... not sure how long that will hold them off for though, they are pretty determined esp. Daisy (the blue eyed white).

Hi Mark. Good luck this weekend. It sounds like it's going really well. Once you've got the first night together under your belt hopefully you can relax a bit as they will have decided by then that life together is better than on their own! I think your plan sounds good. Looking forwards to your updates x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Thank you every one for your kind support.

10pm here, just getting settled for their first night. They've been together since 11am and all I can say is they must have sore tongues from all that licking each other. Charlies back was really wet earlier and looked more like a hedgehog with his fur licked the wrong way!

Getting used to the jingle balls being moved around now.

@tulsi - just down the road:wave:

Thank you every one for your kind support.

10pm here, just getting settled for their first night. They've been together since 11am and all I can say is they must have sore tongues from all that licking each other. Charlies back was really wet earlier and looked more like a hedgehog with his fur licked the wrong way!

Getting used to the jingle balls being moved around now.

@tulsi - just down the road:wave:
It sounds so amazingly positive! I hope the night continued to go so well :)

Back