• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New concerned parents attempting bonding......

They were indeed in there new house for about an hour before a bit of a chase and some fur pulling broke out (I didn't see it happen), I had been leaving them during the day in a different small pen with out any incidents. When I saw the fur (no injuries) I put them back in their separate pens, looking back, I believe I should have left them as they were both quite happily sat in their litter trays by then. Over protective parent syndrome.

Assuming I get a couple of days incident free in the new home, should I be able to trust them together for their first night in the new home?

They were indeed in there new house for about an hour before a bit of a chase and some fur pulling broke out (I didn't see it happen), I had been leaving them during the day in a different small pen with out any incidents. When I saw the fur (no injuries) I put them back in their separate pens, looking back, I believe I should have left them as they were both quite happily sat in their litter trays by then. Over protective parent syndrome.

Assuming I get a couple of days incident free in the new home, should I be able to trust them together for their first night in the new home?

If they have spent a whole day together without any incidents then you should be fairly safe to leave them o/night. The fact that the female has gone for your male would worry me slightly and you may need to be more sure of his safety before leaving them overnight without supervision. Obviously there will come a point when you will have to trust her so fingers crossed they will settle down happily together.

They managed about 4 hours together yesterday, mainly unsupervised as they were getting on so well. There was some laying together, some licking and nosing and generally all positive things but mainly they just ignored each other with the odd playful chase. Then she nipped some fur from his rump again, gave her a spray of water and all was good for about another half hour, then she took loads of fur from him and we split them up once again after using a spray of water to diffuse the situation. She knows she's does wrong each time as she goes and hides when you walk in.

Is the spray of water method as mentioned else where in the forum the best way to discourage and end this fur nipping or do I have other options?

I found the water spray method didn't help. It just made mine associate each other with something negative.

Fur pulling I just leave them to it. If you're worried about it being excessive just throw a towel over them, gentle separate them and then let them continue interacting.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I found the water spray method didn't help. It just made mine associate each other with something negative.

Fur pulling I just leave them to it. If you're worried about it being excessive just throw a towel over them, gentle separate them and then let them continue interacting.

I totally agree.......now. I spoke with a behaviorist yesterday who was not impressed with the water method spray method and gave me a good talking too. The sprayed rabbit will likely associate the other rabbit and the person spraying with something bad / negative.

I have returned them today back to their smaller neutral area with great results. The towel method works well without the shock. The one time she looked like she might go for his fur I just held the towel in front of her and that was enough to prevent anything further. No other incidents today and they have been together 3 hours. I shall be using the same small area tomorrow and then back to the large new bunny shed Monday but with a smaller enclosed area to start with.

I totally agree.......now. I spoke with a behaviorist yesterday who was not impressed with the water method spray method and gave me a good talking too. The sprayed rabbit will likely associate the other rabbit and the person spraying with something bad / negative.

I have returned them today back to their smaller neutral area with great results. The towel method works well without the shock. The one time she looked like she might for his fur I just held the towel in front of her and that was enough to prevent anything further. No other incidents today and they have been together 3 hours. I shall be using the same small area tomorrow and then back to the large new bunny shed Monday but with a smaller enclosed area to start with.
Best starting small and very gradually increasing - try not to rush them into a larger space.
Best of luck but if you can get them to spend 24-48 hours without incident in their current small place before moving to the shed that will give you a better starting base for the move.

Hi Mark. Just to reiterate what DP has said I wouldn't worry about fur pulling. As long as you know the skin isn't being broken and it's not escalating it does seem v normal. 3 months after bonding ours I still find occaisional clumps of fur but bunnies don't bear grudges against other bunnies like we would. Snuggling after fur pulling seems the norm. Good luck x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Can I ask, what size area would you suggest for them to spend their first 24-48 hours together?

Last edited:
Thank you Julia, I've sort of got used to it now, I know it's not as horrendous as it may look at first to new bunny parents.

I normally do 24sqft as this makes it possible for me to sit in with them during that time. But you may find they react better to something smaller or larger.

If they get on well in your small area, I'd keep it that size to begin with.

Thanks, their neutral place is about 10sqft at the moment, we made it that small as they just sat opposite ends and fell asleep! 10sqft means they have to interact - even if it is by accident.

Thanks, their neutral place is about 10sqft at the moment, we made it that small as they just sat opposite ends and fell asleep! 10sqft means they have to interact - even if it is by accident.
Keep it at that in that case. Wait until you're incident free for 24 to 48 hours before attempting to increase the space and when you do make sure it's only a small increase - about 1m works well.

Sunday - we had decided to do the same 2 hours today but they were doing so well we decided to leave them, then it happened, at the 4 1/2 hour mark I nipped out of the room for a few seconds and as I returned I could hear Charlie squealing, the usual fur everywhere, she was back sat in the litter try and he was in the opposite corner. A thorough check over revealed no harm done.

Upset that this happened again but on the positive side this was the longest they had spent together without incident. I shall keep putting them together this week aiming at only 2 hours and ending on a positive note before anything happens.

Sunday - we had decided to do the same 2 hours today but they were doing so well we decided to leave them, then it happened, at the 4 1/2 hour mark I nipped out of the room for a few seconds and as I returned I could hear Charlie squealing, the usual fur everywhere, she was back sat in the litter try and he was in the opposite corner. A thorough check over revealed no harm done.

Upset that this happened again but on the positive side this was the longest they had spent together without incident. I shall keep putting them together this week aiming at only 2 hours and ending on a positive note before anything happens.
If they were sat at opposite ends and had ended the argument by themselves it would have been more beneficial to leave them together. They'd just sorted a little of the dominance and now they're separated so when they're next put together they'll have to go through it again.

When the fur pulling starts, should I break them up immediately or give them a few seconds to sort it out themselves?

Steep learning curve this bonding business!

Popped them both in the car today for a 30 min journey, don't think they liked the roundabouts or the speed bumps but it sure makes them cuddle. They took it in turns hiding under each other. Followed by a calm & playful 2 hours in the small area:D

Popped them both in the car today for a 30 min journey, don't think they liked the roundabouts or the speed bumps but it sure makes them cuddle. They took it in turns hiding under each other. Followed by a calm & playful 2 hours in the small area:D
I really don't use stress bonding unless it's a last attempt.

Your rabbits haven't been doing anything worrying. They just need to be put together in their neutral space and left together unless they cause injury to each other. Just doing 2 hour sessions, especially after highly stressing them out isn't going to help.

Back