• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dry Skin - Molly

HollyMolly

New Kit
Hi, just looking for a little advice. I've noticed over the weekend a little flaky dry skin on my buns back one in middle and one near her tail. I've Google'd it and it suggested mites or fleas.

Molly doesn't appear to be itchy. Holly her sister has no dry skin flakes etc and they are both house bunnies with the occasional venture into the garden.

Do you think this could be just a case of dry skin during moulting? Help!

We are off to the vet tomorrow too just to be safe. Melissa x

Hi, just looking for a little advice. I've noticed over the weekend a little flaky dry skin on my buns back one in middle and one near her tail. I've Google'd it and it suggested mites or fleas.

Molly doesn't appear to be itchy. Holly her sister has no dry skin flakes etc and they are both house bunnies with the occasional venture into the garden.

Hi Melissa :wave:

What you've described does seem like a case of the mites! They often occur when a rabbit's immune system is depleted for some reason. Also, you would have to treat both rabbits as they are passed between one another quite easily.

You can get over the counter meds for that, but your vet will identify for sure and give the correct dosage per rabbit.

The normal treatment for mites is ivermectin:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Pharmaq_Ivermectin_Spot-On_Drops/c19097/

It's usually a spot on treatment, for both rabbits at the same time, and then it's repeated two weeks later. Some vets also repeat the dose a further two weeks after that to interrupt the life cycle of the mite

Good luck xx

Is Molly moulting at the moment ? Sometimes this can cause a few areas of dry flaky skin. Mites are another possible cause of flaky skin, so it is advisable that you consult a Vet to ascertain if Molly does have mites and if so what type. Personally I dont like to apply strong chemicals or home made lotions and potions until I am certain what the problem is.

http://mybunny.org/docs/mites.pdf

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/skin-and-fur-parasites/

Good luck at the Vets xx

Hi everyone, thank you for your comments, we've been to see the vet this afternoon and the vet does think Molly has mites, (she couldn't see any on the strip test just a few eggs) and has given her an injection we have to go back in a week for a check up and if needed another injection.

Holly my other bun isn't showing any signs at the moment we just have to monitor her too.

We have been vacuuming everywhere and have a spray for the house.

I just hope we get rid of them soon, any tips welcome. Xx

Hi everyone, thank you for your comments, we've been to see the vet this afternoon and the vet does think Molly has mites, (she couldn't see any on the strip test just a few eggs) and has given her an injection we have to go back in a week for a check up and if needed another injection.

Holly my other bun isn't showing any signs at the moment we just have to monitor her too.

We have been vacuuming everywhere and have a spray for the house.

I just hope we get rid of them soon, any tips welcome. Xx

I think you're doing what you can by vacuuming :thumb:

Regarding the treatment your vet is giving, it's usually administered 10 - 14 days apart and not a week, to interrupt the life cycle of the mite:

Fur mites are eliminated by ivermectin: 0.2-0.4 mg/kg, PO (oral) or SC (subcutaneous injection), 3 times at intervals of 10-14 days. Ivermectin can also be used topically (directly on the skin).

Also, mites are so easily transferred, both bunnies are normally treated.

Not to be disparaging to your vet, but is he/she rabbit savvy and used to treating them? :)

Putting damp towels over warm radiators 30 mins before hoovering can help bring the mites to the surface of any carpets etc so they get hoovered up quicker

Hi thanks for the reply. Sorry mines delayed it's been a busy week. The injection was Panomec, and the vet said to come back after a week. I believe she is used to treating rabbits. She was great when my other bun broke her leg. But I am going to ask for a second opinion just to be sure, and have a quick Google.

Let me know what you think.

On the plus side Molly's skin/fur looks so much better even after a couple of days.

X

Hi thanks for the reply. Sorry mines delayed it's been a busy week. The injection was Panomec, and the vet said to come back after a week. I believe she is used to treating rabbits. She was great when my other bun broke her leg. But I am going to ask for a second opinion just to be sure, and have a quick Google.

Let me know what you think.

On the plus side Molly's skin/fur looks so much better even after a couple of days.

X

Panomec is the right meds :D

I'm sure your vet knows what she is doing. I am only going by my own experience and the data provided. She may have a reason for doing it this way x

I'm so glad Molly is looking better already :)

Back