• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking of getting a second lionhead

Button

New Kit
Hello :wave:
I am thinking of getting a girl friend for my 15 week old buck Hoggle! I have my eye on a little black doe, who is not yet 8 weeks old... and have set a date this week for Hoggle to 'meet' the doe where I will be able to bring her home if they do not display any signs of aggression. So I am keeping my fingers crossed for that to go well.
Of course I will not begin the bonding process until he has been neutered and the correct time has passed after. During this time can I keep their cages next to each other? I have read mixed things about doing this and do not want to do anything that may cause stress to Hoggle or the new bun!!
To add to this Hoggle can not have pellets as they upset his tummy, does anyone have any experience on bonded rabbits with different diets? Looking for any tips as I like to be fully prepaired :lol:

Hello there. I think your bunnies are too young for them to give you any idea as to how a future relationship will work. The boy might start to hump the younger one and could frighten her so you will need to be very cautious if you put them together. Keeping them close should not be a problem ie in their respective cages. What are you feeding your rabbit on if he can't digest pellets? What makes you sure he has a problem? Feeding will be more complicated when they are together.

Hi,

When I took on a young female for my male bunny bailey. (Bailey was already neutered - I tried introducing them in a brand new space and Bella (11 weeks old at the time) was absolutely terrified.. and I felt awful! (please remember it will be scary for her, coming into a new home, and will need time to settle) My Bailey was always a free range house bunny, so I set up Bella's new home in her own bedroom and had a metal panel across the door so they could constantly see each other but never get too close.

When Bella turned 6 months, I then got her spayed, waited another month for her hormones and wound to heel and then bonded them... which went really well and we haven't looked back since!

It's great you want to get your bunny a friend, but all I am saying is it is not as straight forward as you might think. It is always much better to ensure both are fully neutered before bonding.. but if your willing to put in the hard work and have the patience, all the best! :)

Regarding food, I have always fed my two seperatly , even though they are bonded and free range, they know they get fed in separate rooms, and I can easily monitor who is eating.. then later in the evening they have a handful of herbs together which they share, so you can always do this with different types of forage maybe if your male bun is okay to have it! :)

Back