• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Preparing a rabbit with hind leg weakness for winter

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Hi

Poor Bracken bunny has weak back legs and is also incontinent. He can no longer reach his hutch so spends a lot of time in his hop in box which is stuffed with hay.

Obviously he needs to be off the floor. My partner has suggested lowering the hutch which is on legs but that would significantly reduce the run size.

Just wanted to see how others with rabbits in the situation manage to take care of them outside. He also gets wet with urine.

Hi

Poor Bracken bunny has weak back legs and is also incontinent. He can no longer reach his hutch so spends a lot of time in his hop in box which is stuffed with hay.

Obviously he needs to be off the floor. My partner has suggested lowering the hutch which is on legs but that would significantly reduce the run size.

Just wanted to see how others with rabbits in the situation manage to take care of them outside. He also gets wet with urine.

Is it not possible to have him living indoors ? If he is less mobile and also incontinent (EC ? Arthritis ?) then he is very likely to struggle to keep himself warm over winter and if he is frequently wet/damp from urine this will make things even worse.

Is he on any treatment for his disabilities ?

Unfortunately I live in a small house with two cats, I have nowhere to house two rabbits.

He's on metacam twice daily.

EC:(

I am finding it hard to picture the set-up, can you post a photo and perhaps we can make a few suggestions as to what changes you could make ?

Do you by any chance have a shed that perhaps you could move their hutch into? That might help shelter them from the cold a little. A couple of snugglesafe heatpads might be a good idea, as long as he's moblie enough to get off them if he wants to?
What about using vetbed? Liquids go through it keeping the fleecey bit dry for the animal to lay on. They're good for sick and disabled animals as they aren't sitting in their own urine (best to have two or three so one can go in the wash while the other is in use)
Just a couple of things I thought of, don't know if they're any good. Hopefully someone will have a better idea how to keep him warm and dry.
It's a shame you can't have him indoors :(

Do you by any chance have a shed that perhaps you could move their hutch into? That might help shelter them from the cold a little. A couple of snugglesafe heatpads might be a good idea, as long as he's moblie enough to get off them if he wants to?
What about using vetbed? Liquids go through it keeping the fleecey bit dry for the animal to lay on. They're good for sick and disabled animals as they aren't sitting in their own urine (best to have two or three so one can go in the wash while the other is in use)
Just a couple of things I thought of, don't know if they're any good. Hopefully someone will have a better idea how to keep him warm and dry.
It's a shame you can't have him indoors :(

Sadly not – when we first had Spudsey my partner put a new patio area in and a playhouse, but as she’s a wildie she is very skittish and she couldn’t cope with it, she likes to be able to see all her surroundings. Unfortunately there is now a door into the garage which I need access too so I don’t really have anywhere I could put one now either!

Ah, thanks for reminding me about snugglesafes! I already have one which they were never bothered about previously but I am sure Bracken will appreciated them more now, I will get a couple extra 

Yes he is mobile enough to get off them, he moves around fine but you can tell he is off balance, he managed to get on top of the grass tub yesterday and from there he got on to their hop in box but he is a worry. When I go in the garden he gets excited and stretches up, but then quite often falls down again but always manages to get himself back up thankfully.

I have got some vetbed although will need to get some more as its being spoiled very quickly, I had contemplated puppy pads although I hate throwing things like that away, so wasteful. But I think I need to go with whatever works best.

It’s such a shame not being able to have them in the house, but not only is the house tiny, Spudsey is so skittish she needs to be away from the cats, Bracken isn’t bothered by them and nor are the cats about him, but one of my cats I am sure sees Spudsey as prey as she is quite small and probably the skittishness attracts him to her!

Back