• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit is very sleepy and not eating anything since yesterday

Suneet

New Kit
I have two rabbits and one of them has mouth ulcer and the other one is not eating anything and only sleeping since yesterday Please tell me what do i do to make her move again becuz she is the naughty type of rabbit who runs around the house it is very unnatural for my bunny to sleep for the last 24 hrs

Hi, I'm sorry to read that your rabbits are both unwell.

Has the rabbit with the mouth ulcer been seen by a vet? It sounds as though the problem could be dental. Perhaps the ulcer is caused by a tooth spur.

I think your other rabbit needs to see a vet as a matter of urgency. She is possibly in pain, which would be one reason why she is not eating. A rabbit not eating is very serious as they need to keep their digestive systems working constantly. Have you noticed any recent droppings from her? A vet will be able to examine her to try to establish the cause of her problems and will be able to provide medication to help her digestive system and also provide pain relief.

I hope that the vet can help her. Let us know how you get on.

As Omi, says, your rabbits need to see a vet. Urgently - this morning. Not eating anything is very serious and combined with being so sleepy makes it very urgent that she gets veterinary attention. All vets will have a 24 hour service - it may be somewhere different to where you normally go, but if you ring them, they normally have a recorded message with the out of hours service. Otherwise, the vets in eg Pets at Home are usually open on Sundays.

The mouth ulcer bunny also needs to see a vet. She may need her teeth sorting out if they are cutting into the soft tissue and causing ulcers. Taking them in together may be less stressful for them.

I agree with the Omi and Shimmer, your rabbits need to see the vet urgently this morning. Not eating is a medical emergency. Sending lots of vibes for them.

I already took the ulcer rabbit to the vet and he said she is going to be fine soon and prescribed me some medicine including mild oral anesthesia.
Guys please dont get angry at me becuz i gave my other rabbit anesthesia so my rabbit is probably sleepy becuz of the anesthesia or maybe she is having after effects of anesthesia and if my bunny does not recover from the effects of anesthesia today then i will take her to the vet tomorrow morning

I have two rabbits and one of them has mouth ulcer and the other one is not eating anything and only sleeping since yesterday Please tell me what do i do to make her move again becuz she is the naughty type of rabbit who runs around the house it is very unnatural for my bunny to sleep for the last 24 hrs

Hi Suneet and welcome to the Forum :wave:

It's lovely to have you here, but sorry to hear about your rabbit.

In addition to the good advice you've already had here, I should try and see a good rabbit vet as soon as possible. Rabbits can go downhill very fast, and you need to get her eating as soon as possible to keep the gut moving.

There's some info on this, which is called gut stasis, here:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://www.bunnylu.org/bloat.php

http://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

http://www.melbournerabbitclinic.com/melbournerabbi/stasis.html

Good luck and please let us know how you get on xx

(ETA I just cross posted with yours .... I hope your rabbit does well today and recovers :))

Hi Suneet. Sorry your little bun is unwell, but as the others have said your bun needs to see a vet NOW. If you wait until tomorrow it could be too late :( not eatting is very very serious. Please don't wait until tomorrow. Sending vibes for your bun.

Rabbits are not like cats and dogs who can go for a day or two without eating. A rabbit that isn't eating will become poorly very quickly. If there is no food going in, the guts have nothing to work with and will shut down (stasis). This is life-threatening. I suggest that your rabbit sees a vet urgently today. She needs to be checked over to find out why she isn't eating, if there is a blockage, and given appropriate care and medication. This can't wait another day.

I already took the ulcer rabbit to the vet and he said she is going to be fine soon and prescribed me some medicine including mild oral anesthesia.
Guys please dont get angry at me becuz i gave my other rabbit anesthesia so my rabbit is probably sleepy becuz of the anesthesia or maybe she is having after effects of anesthesia and if my bunny does not recover from the effects of anesthesia today then i will take her to the vet tomorrow morning

By 'anaesthesia' I assume you mean 'analgesia' ie pain relief ? Some types of pain relief can cause the Rabbit to be very drowsy. However, as others have said, a Rabbit cannot go for more than a few hours without eating as if they do there is a big risk of 'Gastrointestinal Stasis' and this condition can be extremely serious.

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

I would urge you to take your Rabbit to a Vet straight away as waiting until tomorrow may be too late to obtain treatment for her.

Thanks for the help guys and today i learnt the lesson to never give medicine to a healthy rabbit btw her name is gulle aka numer 1 and i know the name is pretty silly lol

I'm glad to hear the good news. You may need to keep a closer eye on her for a few days to make sure that she continues eating normally, and that her output (poo) is also normal.

I'm glad to hear the good news. You may need to keep a closer eye on her for a few days to make sure that she continues eating normally, and that her output (poo) is also normal.

I second Shimmer's advice. I hope that Gulle aka Numer remains well now x

Back