• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit torn ear

Chantelle1708

Young Bun
Hi all, I have a 12 week old mini lop. He had scabs on his ears a couple weeks ago so I took him to the vet who said the scabs weren't fresh and was probably from buns in his litter before I got him. Anyway, he seems to have scratched a scab off and it's left a little rip in his ear.
He is a single bun and he's been vaccinated and checked for mites.
He's fine in himself, doesn't appear to be in pain, he's a happy bunny. Should I be worried??

**update** I've just spoken with the vet who advised that it's common when rabbits have scabs on ears, it's not until they fall off, the damage is seen therefore it's more than likely the damage a previous bun done and it's nothing to worry about. Can anyone second this?

**update** I've just spoken with the vet who advised that it's common when rabbits have scabs on ears, it's not until they fall off, the damage is seen therefore it's more than likely the damage a previous bun done and it's nothing to worry about. Can anyone second this?

Yes, if it's the scab that's been pulled off, and not a new injury, then you will see the damage before new tissue has fully grown over the area.

I would keep an eye on it, and see how it heals :)

Yes, sometimes once the scab falls off it can be that there is a permanent tear in the ear. All the tissue heals up fine, it's just a 'cosmetic' issue and nothing to worry about :)

Hi all, I have a 12 week old mini lop. He had scabs on his ears a couple weeks ago so I took him to the vet who said the scabs weren't fresh and was probably from buns in his litter before I got him. Anyway, he seems to have scratched a scab off and it's left a little rip in his ear.
He is a single bun and he's been vaccinated and checked for mites.
He's fine in himself, doesn't appear to be in pain, he's a happy bunny. Should I be worried??

Hope you feel reassured now :)

Thank you for your advice, I feel a lot better! I couldn't believe it when I saw a rip in his ear! He seemed to scratch his ears a lot, maybe the scabs were annoying him! Whilst we are on the topic of ears, recently he's really started to use his ears, sometimes one is up and one is down, or they're both stuck out haha?! Is this normal in a mini lop? He's never done this up until the last week

Thank you for your advice, I feel a lot better! I couldn't believe it when I saw a rip in his ear! He seemed to scratch his ears a lot, maybe the scabs were annoying him! Whilst we are on the topic of ears, recently he's really started to use his ears, sometimes one is up and one is down, or they're both stuck out haha?! Is this normal in a mini lop? He's never done this up until the last week

I don't know about Mini Lops, but my Lionhead does this all the time! He seems to like floppy ears when he's concentrating on something, usually eating. It's the most adorable thing when they do it :D Mine also tore his ear early on, and now has a little "dent" at the edge left over - it's never affected him in any way.

Where did he come from? Mini lops wouldn't normally have control over their ears, and a breeder would usually make sure that the 'mini lop' line was pure ...

He must have a bit of an 'uppy eared' rabbit in him, bless :love:

Depends on the breed line. Mini Lops' ears tend to start to 'Lop' by about 4 weeks, but sometimes the ears pop back up again or 'helicopters' and they do not become 'full time lops' until about 12 weeks. Mini Lop Breeders who Breed to show usually want to breed from Rabbits who's ears Lop and stay Lopped by 4-6 weeks.

I don't know about Mini Lops, but my Lionhead does this all the time! He seems to like floppy ears when he's concentrating on something, usually eating. It's the most adorable thing when they do it :D Mine also tore his ear early on, and now has a little "dent" at the edge left over - it's never affected him in any way.

I expect he's proud of his battle scar :D

Back