• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC/head tilt help UPDATE, she's gone ;(

Willowsmum

Mama Doe
He everyone,

Haven't been on here for a while.

Need some advice about one of my rabbits who suddenly developed vestibular issues. Long story short, she's had tests etc (won't go into all the details) and is EC positive so is on all the right meds, plus She started anti-dizzy drug today.

In veterinary terms she's classed as mild but to me it's horrific especially as she's a rescue bunny from a terrible home who doesn't like interaction :(

It's been two weeks and she still isn't eating enough on her own so I'm syringe feeding:( she will sometimes eat leaves and grass.
Basically she's miserable and so is her bonded mate. Each day is different, some days she seems to make tiny progress and then we're back to zero the next day.

I'm not sure anyone can necessarily give me answers but any tips or advice would be good for my head tilt bunny (she won't eat baby food or mashed pellets) and and advice for the other one who is incredibly depressed. :cry:

I can't bear seeing either of them so unhappy :cry:

Last edited:
He everyone,

Haven't been on here for a while.

Need some advice about one of my rabbits who suddenly developed vestibular issues. Long story short, she's had tests etc (won't go into all the details) and is EC positive so is on all the right meds, plus She started anti-dizzy drug today.

In veterinary terms she's classed as mild but to me it's horrific especially as she's a rescue bunny from a terrible home who doesn't like interaction :(

It's been two weeks and she still isn't eating enough on her own so I'm syringe feeding:( she will sometimes eat leaves and grass.
Basically she's miserable and so is her bonded mate. Each day is different, some days she seems to make tiny progress and then we're back to zero the next day.

I'm not sure anyone can necessarily give me answers but any tips or advice would be good for my head tilt bunny (she won't eat baby food or mashed pellets) and and advice for the other one who is incredibly depressed. :cry:

I can't bear seeing either of them so unhappy :cry:

I'm so sorry, it is distressing to see and I've cared for rolling bunnies so I know what it's like ...

Have you joined this group?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HelpforHeadTiltHoppers/

There's also some good info here:

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/head-tilt.html

I also tried a gentle massage, as once the muscle has gone into spasm, you need to gently coax the head to a normal position again:

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/physical-therapy.html

There's also the alternative of acupuncture and also cold laser therapy to help with symptoms:

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/laser-therapy-amazing/

My vet does this, and the results can be very good :)

Regards the E.C., it's a good idea to clean and bleach the environment on days 21 and 28 of treatment to ensure you interrupt the life cycle of the parasite. It's been quoted that a 10% bleach solution is needed, but research has shown that 1% bleach is sufficient.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?187100-Cleaning-and-Disinfecting-for-E-Cuniculi

Also, and this is the difficult bit ... try and relax a little yourself, as they will pick up on your stress. It's really hard, but this condition takes time to improve, and it's a change for all of you xx

Often I find head tilt is horrifically undermedicated with antibiotics. We always hit hard with antibiotics and the bunnies have always got better. What antibiotics is she on?

Often I find head tilt is horrifically undermedicated with antibiotics. We always hit hard with antibiotics and the bunnies have always got better. What antibiotics is she on?

I am wondering if she is actually on antibiotics or is she just on Panacur ? Is she also on any anti-inflammatory analgesia ?

EC related vestibular issues can take months to improve, sometimes the Rabbit will not fully recover but they can learn to adapt to living with their disabilities. There is a FB Group that offers advice and support to people with Head Tilt Rabbits, I'd advise you to join the group if you are on FB

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HelpforHeadTiltHoppers/

I know (via RU) one of the Admin on the group and I have a lot of respect for her dedication to Rabbit Welfare :)

Hey, thanks for your replies.

I have joined head tilt hoppers thank you :) they have been really helpful but not the other group, so I'll join that one, thanks for the heads up :thumb:

I'm pretty confident she's on the right meds, here's what she's on.....

Meloxaid BID
Baytril SID
Ranitidine BID
Panacur SID (and companion)
Semetil 0.5ml to start but can go up to 1ml TID. Only started yesterday afternoon.

Her initial bloods showed her white blood count was down, but redid bloods Wednesday to see if any change. Unfortunately I haven't got the results yet.
She had a CT which was ok, she had a seizure on the contrast CT so it was aborted.

I know I have to wait to see what brain damage is has been done and I'm pretty sure she'll stay with a head tilt which is fine, but I just wish she would eat on her own :( at the moment it's no life for her:cry:

We've had to take away any shelving and tunnels (was connected to shelving) and I've taken away anything she could jump on/off and things that may confuse her, but of course, this is boring for the other one who is really depressed. I dint know how to please both :cry:

Everything I think of doing/buying, is a potential risk for iris :cry:
I'm not really sure what I'm asking or how people can answer!

I guess I just want to know I'm doing everything I can or if not what I can change. Also, is this becoming cruel? Or am I being impatient?
:oops:

I have joined head tilt hoppers thank you :) they have been really helpful but not the other group, so I'll join that one, thanks for the heads up :thumb:

You're welcome :D

I know when it's something that's not quickly resolved and there can be more than one cause, it can help to have some like-minded support x

Meloxaid BID
Baytril SID
Ranitidine BID
Semetil 0.5ml to start but can go up to 1ml TID. Only started yesterday afternoon.

Her initial bloods showed her white blood count was down, but redid bloods Wednesday to see if any change. Unfortunately I haven't got the results yet.
She had a CT which was ok, she had a seizure on the contrast CT so it was aborted.

I know I have to wait to see what brain damage is has been done and I'm pretty sure she'll stay with a head tilt which is fine, but I just wish she would eat on her own :( at the moment it's no life for her:cry:

We've had to take away any shelving and tunnels (was connected to shelving) and I've taken away anything she could jump on/off and things that may confuse her, but of course, this is boring for the other one who is really depressed. I dint know how to please both :cry:

I guess I just want to know I'm doing everything I can or if not what I can change. Also, is this becoming cruel? Or am I being impatient?

I think you are doing everything possible to try to help Iris. Obtaining good Veterinary care, looking for information and support from people who have first hand experience of looking after a Head Tilt/EC Rabbit. The road to recovery is likely to be long, maybe with setbacks along the way. But some Rabbits can get to a point where-by they may not be 100% better but they can still enjoy a good quality of life.

Sometimes a Vit B complex injection can help boost the Rabbit's appetite. Maybe you could run that idea past your Vet ?

Meloxaid BID
Baytril SID
Ranitidine BID

This sounds like a very good protocol, given the symptoms you've described :)

Roxyroller88 has a head tilt rabbit called Hiro, and he's a wonderful inspiration as to how they can have a really good life. And Roxy herself is also an inspiring lady :)

I don't think you are being cruel. Also, I think patience is necessary to see what improvement comes over time, and with the meds.

Those of us who have coped with head tilt bunnies will always be here to support you xx

I think you are doing everything possible to try to help Iris. Obtaining good Veterinary care, looking for information and support from people who have first hand experience of looking after a Head Tilt/EC Rabbit. The road to recovery is likely to be long, maybe with setbacks along the way. But some Rabbits can get to a point where-by they may not be 100% better but they can still enjoy a good quality of life.

Sometimes a Vit B complex injection can help boost the Rabbit's appetite. Maybe you could run that idea past your Vet ?

Thank you :D

Oh ok, thanks I didn't know that, I'll bear it in mind :thumb:

She made a bit of progress this afternoon and started hopping (wobbly hopping) around in the run after I set up lots of enrichment for Sylvie :D she had a good explore. I guess she may have a bad day tomorrow because of it? I just wish she would eat :(

This sounds like a very good protocol, given the symptoms you've described :)

Roxyroller88 has a head tilt rabbit called Hiro, and he's a wonderful inspiration as to how they can have a really good life. And Roxy herself is also an inspiring lady :)

I don't think you are being cruel. Also, I think patience is necessary to see what improvement comes over time, and with the meds.

Those of us who have coped with head tilt bunnies will always be here to support you xx

Thank you :love: really appreciate it :love:

She made a bit of progress this afternoon and started hopping (wobbly hopping) around in the run after I set up lots of enrichment for Sylvie :D she had a good explore. I guess she may have a bad day tomorrow because of it? I just wish she would eat :(

I don't see why that *should* be the case? I have cared for several head tilt rabbits, and they can make some good progress. One head tilt rabbit of mine made fantastic progress within 3/4 days. After a few more days, her head tilt got even better and never returned for the remaining years of her life.

I am glad your rabbit had a great afternoon exploring x

Sometimes there will be ups and downs along the very long road to adjusting/recovering from the effects of EC. At the moment it really is very early days. Whilst we know that Rabbits cannot vomit it may be that they do experience a degree of nausea due to the dizziness. The stemetil should help with that a bit, give it another few doses to see.If it doesn't seem to be helping maybe you could ask the Vet about stopping stemetil and giving metoclopramide instead. This may help address any nausea that the vestibular disturbances are causing and also it will increase the rate of gastric emptying. I note that your Rabbit is already on Ranitidine which is an anti-GI ulcer med with some prokinetic effects on the hind gut. Metoclopramide can be given alongside Ranitidine and Metoclopramide's prokinetic effects are mainly on the upper GI tract. Just another suggestion you may want to run by your Vet :)

I hope that your poorly Bun has a better day today xx

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately iris suddenly became unexpectedly very poorly Saturday night :( she had a seizure I think :oops: I sat with her through the night hoping she was having a bad spell but it wasn't that :cry: her head tilt and neurological problems worsened and she was so tired from it all. I made the decision to say goodbye before she suffered even more :(

Needless to say I'm completely heartbroken and so is poor sylvie :cry:
I was angry that she had made such progress Saturday only to find she went downhill so quickly but my vet pointed out how lovely is was that she enjoyed her last day, so I'm trying to look at it like that.
Her passing was made peaceful and she's buried under the apple tree with willow . I have some of her fur which I'll cherish.

Thanks for all your help and advice x

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately iris suddenly became unexpectedly very poorly Saturday night :( she had a seizure I think :oops: I sat with her through the night hoping she was having a bad spell but it wasn't that :cry: her head tilt and neurological problems worsened and she was so tired from it all. I made the decision to say goodbye before she suffered even more :(

I was angry that she had made such progress Saturday only to find she went downhill so quickly but my vet pointed out how lovely is was that she enjoyed her last day, so I'm trying to look at it like that.
Her passing was made peaceful and she's buried under the apple tree with willow . I have some of her fur which I'll cherish.

I am so very sorry xx

Hi everyone,

I am so sorry that Iris could not recover :cry:

May she now rest peacefully xx

I'm so sorry to hear you lost Iris :( EC is an evil thing. It seems like the worst torture to see them start to pick up and then for that to happen but your vet is right, try think of it that she got to have that time with you and I'm certain she cherished that. I wish there was something I could say to make it easier for you but I know there's nothing that can be said. She's not suffering anymore and you gave her everything you could - you traded your suffering to take away hers. I'm sure she'd be thankful for that.
Sleep peacefully little Iris :(

Back