• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Your Bunny's/Bunnies' Favourite Veg, Forage, Herb?

Natalie

Warren Scout
So I'm only just starting to get used to what Caramel likes, we've had our little, elderly rescue bun for 2 and 1/2 weeks so far. But I do know that she likes

1) Fave Veg : Carrot Tops / Spring Greens
2) Fave Forage : Dandelions - so funny watching them dissapear into her mouth lol
3) Fave Herb : Coriander

But that's only so far, still lots more to try. She turned her sweet little bunny nose up at red pepper, and strawberry. We only tried offering the teeny tiniest little bit - nope - she wasn't interested and to be honest, I think she was pretty disgusted that we even tried - she's quite the little madam when she wants to be :lol:

Natalie :)

Mine are so greedy its difficult to know what they like best. Hogweed, dandelion & hawthorn are firm favourites. When I come home with a big variety of forage I love seeing which they go for first - this changes from rabbit to rabbit, day to day & season to season. Caramel is a good girl making healthy food choices

Apple leaves and branches, Strawberry leaves, fresh mint, lavender and rosemary all go down well in our household.

Apple leaves/twigs, hawthorn and strawberry leaves are the favourite forage.
Coriander and carrot tops are favourite herb and veg, the same as your bun

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Treacles all time favourites are, parsley, basil (not M & S for some reason , won't touch it :roll:) raspberry leaves, broccoli and grated carrot- fussy little madam :)

My two surprisingly aren't over fussy with veg, but carrot tops have to be the top! Forage will be plantain every time with Apple leaves as a close second.. and herbs, second place is coriander, and top of the list is dill.. My two can't get enough of it and love it! They get through a pack a day.. I must be mad!! :lol:

Mine loved corriander and hawthorn branches. Dandelion leaves too. Just ve careful as I found spring greens to cause gas on a few of my buns.

Our two love plantain, dandelion and raspberry leaves! They start jumping everywhere when we open the boxes!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your replies. I don't really know what plantain is, I'll look it up. Lovely to hear about all these lucky bunnies who are clearly not in the least bit spoilt :lol:

Carrot peelings and tops, although they eat the tops first because they're easier to get! I hang the peelings from the run roof :D When the OH gives them all their forage at once, they definitely eat the apple leaves and bark first, then willow leaves, then hawthorn leaves and twigs. Herb-wise they only really get lavender and rosemary and they eat whatever's closest! :lol:

The favourite joint food is apple tree branches - it's the only thing where they'll both come over at once and dig in, rather than one pretending not to be interested until they realise the other's getting it all and come to barge their way in :lol: Ossie loves carrots and all things carroty - Monty, of course, will eat those, but he seems to prefer kale and green beans, both of which Ossie is a bit suspicious of. They just seem to generally expect nice things though - every time I go into the room nowadays, they both start following me, round my legs, with their little noses pushed forwards and up as if to say "You did bring treats, didn't you?" Pests! :D

The favourite joint food is apple tree branches - it's the only thing where they'll both come over at once and dig in, rather than one pretending not to be interested until they realise the other's getting it all and come to barge their way in :lol: Ossie loves carrots and all things carroty - Monty, of course, will eat those, but he seems to prefer kale and green beans, both of which Ossie is a bit suspicious of. They just seem to generally expect nice things though - every time I go into the room nowadays, they both start following me, round my legs, with their little noses pushed forwards and up as if to say "You did bring treats, didn't you?" Pests! :D

OMG the first time little Caramel bomped her nose into my leg I was so smitten, it was such a definite, sturdy, characterful bomp, if you know what I mean, and SO cute! Is it part investigatory when they do that? I'm very new to all things bunny.

OMG the first time little Caramel bomped her nose into my leg I was so smitten, it was such a definite, sturdy, characterful bomp, if you know what I mean, and SO cute! Is it part investigatory when they do that? I'm very new to all things bunny.

With my two it certainly is! It's a half exploratory "What did you bring us?" and a half admonitory "You did bring us something, didn't you?" It can also be utilised when it is clear I have something for them but am being slow at sharing it, in which case it's a "Why can't you get the hay out quicker? Silly human!" bump. And occasionally a "I love you, but move" bump as well. I think it's the paws that give it away - if they're up on their back feet, or wrapping their fronts paws round you're leg, they seem to be looking for sometrhing, but when it's a hurry up/get out of the way bump it's much more just using their nose as a battering ram.

With my two it certainly is! It's a half exploratory "What did you bring us?" and a half admonitory "You did bring us something, didn't you?" It can also be utilised when it is clear I have something for them but am being slow at sharing it, in which case it's a "Why can't you get the hay out quicker? Silly human!" bump. And occasionally a "I love you, but move" bump as well. I think it's the paws that give it away - if they're up on their back feet, or wrapping their fronts paws round you're leg, they seem to be looking for sometrhing, but when it's a hurry up/get out of the way bump it's much more just using their nose as a battering ram.

:lol: :lol: :lol: This really made me giggle! Clearly they don't like to take any nonsense from you, I can see who's in charge in that relationship :lol:

in general order of preference, highest preference at the top

raisins - they go crazy when they hear the sound of the plastic bag...sainsburys own brand is the best, large, plump and juicy, also the cheapest
crushed oats
red grapes
curly kale
bananas
spring greens
broccoli
gala apples
carrots

they scoffed my sweet potatoes once, but I never tried to feed them these deliberately

they go crazy when they hear the sound of the plastic bag...
Is this a genetic behaviour?! I so rarely feed mine treats out of any kind of plastic bag, but as soon as the plastic bag I put the dirty bedding in comes out, they're both straining to get into it! :roll: :lol: And if it's a different-sounding plastic bag, well, let's just be thankful they can't dig through concrete :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: This really made me giggle! Clearly they don't like to take any nonsense from you, I can see who's in charge in that relationship :lol:

Oh gosh, I just read that back. I'm sorry about my English! Bad day at the office.

Monty is very definitely dominant bunny in our household :lol: I long since gave in and let him rule...

Back