• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another one of the buns is in stasis - this time it's Mishka - Update: She's fine :)

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Mishka is now in stasis :(
After making some major changes to their diet back in feb/march after nearly losing Snowflake I thought the problems were over but apparently not. With the exception of Pixel (who stopped eating briefly due to teeth) now every one of the bunnies has been in stasis with no determinable cause. This is the first time for Mishka and each time it has been a different bun in stasis. Mishka's teeth were checked when she had her vaccination in.. July I think? And they were good at the time. She's always had good teeth so I doubt it's that.
They're all indoors and very happy. The most stressful thing they have to deal with is nail trims - other than that there's very minimal stress.
Their diet is almost entirely hay, for the past 2-3 monts even more so as they've found a real love for the hay from timothyhay.co.uk and as a result are eating even more than before. They have two fibafirst a day and the fresh part of their diet is forage when available (I only pick what I know and only from my own garden - blackberry leaves, strawberry leaves, dandelion and fresh grass) and herbs (thyme, mint, coriander, parsley, basil, tarragon, dill). The only other things besides that are rocket, lambs lettuce and pea shoots (mixed bag from asda, probably have it once to twice a week), very rarely a little romaine and their favourite, carrot tops. All other veg that I used to feed like spring greens, cavolo nero etc were eliminated months ago. I'm now at a complete loss. I really thought the diet alterations and cutting out the 'gassier' veg had solved the problem.
What on earth could be going on? I really can't understand why every few months one of them is going into stasis. We've already lost Maple to it and I can't lose another one.
I know I've asked before and I'm really sorry to keep bothering you all with it but I'm at such a loss - does anyone have any idea what else could be causing it? I could ask for a blood test but I'm not sure what exactly to ask them to look for. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to get my normal vet in today as I think she works wednesday onwards. She never seems to be in on a monday so I can't discuss it with her at the moment and the other vets, as wonderful as they are, are less rabbit-savvy.

As for Mishka tonight, I'm sitting up with her until the vet opens as my Mum can't drive her to the emergency vet so trying to get her through until my vet opens at 9. I found her like this at 11pm, last time I can confirm she definitely ate (when I actually saw her) was 3.30pm app. I've just given her her third dose of infacol and I gave her 1ml of emeprid at 1am. I don't like to give anything without checking with a vet first but have to get her through the night somehow. I'm giving her a little water by syringe every now and then and she drank a tiny bit from a bowl about half an hour ago. She's feeling quite cold so I'm trying to keep her warm and rub her underneath. Not a lot more I can do until 9 and I hope I've not done the wrong thing giving her the emeprid but I didn't know what else to do..
She did pass a single dropping around 1am and surprisingly it actually looked very normal but nothing since.

Edit: I'm now starting to hear the odd gurgly noise from her without using a stethoscope so I'm guessing the cause is gas vs an obstruction? That seems more likely anyway as I can't see what would cause an obstruction. But why has she got it? I've taken out all the gassy food from her diet. Unless there's something I've missed that could cause gas?
The last fresh food she had was parsley, corriander, carrot tops, mint and basil, and that would have been over 24hrs before I found her in stasis. She did have a little bit of carrot with it as a treat but it wasn't a lot.
The only thing she's had after that is timothy hay and fibafirst. Nothing else, not even a treat.

Last edited:
Mishka is now in stasis :(
After making some major changes to their diet back in feb/march after nearly losing Snowflake I thought the problems were over but apparently not. With the exception of Pixel (who stopped eating briefly due to teeth) now every one of the bunnies has been in stasis with no determinable cause. This is the first time for Mishka and each time it has been a different bun in stasis. Mishka's teeth were checked when she had her vaccination in.. July I think? And they were good at the time. She's always had good teeth so I doubt it's that.
They're all indoors and very happy. The most stressful thing they have to deal with is nail trims - other than that there's very minimal stress.
Their diet is almost entirely hay, for the past 2-3 monts even more so as they've found a real love for the hay from timothyhay.co.uk and as a result are eating even more than before. They have two fibafirst a day and the fresh part of their diet is forage when available (I only pick what I know and only from my own garden - blackberry leaves, strawberry leaves, dandelion and fresh grass) and herbs (thyme, mint, coriander, parsley, basil, tarragon, dill). The only other things besides that are rocket, lambs lettuce and pea shoots (mixed bag from asda, probably have it once to twice a week), very rarely a little romaine and their favourite, carrot tops. All other veg that I used to feed like spring greens, cavolo nero etc were eliminated months ago. I'm now at a complete loss. I really thought the diet alterations and cutting out the 'gassier' veg had solved the problem.
What on earth could be going on? I really can't understand why every few months one of them is going into stasis. We've already lost Maple to it and I can't lose another one.
I know I've asked before and I'm really sorry to keep bothering you all with it but I'm at such a loss - does anyone have any idea what else could be causing it? I could ask for a blood test but I'm not sure what exactly to ask them to look for. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to get my normal vet in today as I think she works wednesday onwards. She never seems to be in on a monday so I can't discuss it with her at the moment and the other vets, as wonderful as they are, are less rabbit-savvy.

As for Mishka tonight, I'm sitting up with her until the vet opens as my Mum can't drive her to the emergency vet so trying to get her through until my vet opens at 9. I found her like this at 11pm, last time I can confirm she definitely ate (when I actually saw her) was 3.30pm app. I've just given her her third dose of infacol and I gave her 1ml of emeprid at 1am. I don't like to give anything without checking with a vet first but have to get her through the night somehow. I'm giving her a little water by syringe every now and then and she drank a tiny bit from a bowl about half an hour ago. She's feeling quite cold so I'm trying to keep her warm and rub her underneath. Not a lot more I can do until 9 and I hope I've not done the wrong thing giving her the emeprid but I didn't know what else to do..
She did pass a single dropping around 1am and surprisingly it actually looked very normal but nothing since.

Edit: I'm now starting to hear the odd gurgly noise from her without using a stethoscope so I'm guessing the cause is gas vs an obstruction? That seems more likely anyway as I can't see what would cause an obstruction. But why has she got it? I've taken out all the gassy food from her diet. Unless there's something I've missed that could cause gas?
The last fresh food she had was parsley, corriander, carrot tops, mint and basil, and that would have been over 24hrs before I found her in stasis. She did have a little bit of carrot with it as a treat but it wasn't a lot.
The only thing she's had after that is timothy hay and fibafirst. Nothing else, not even a treat.

I am sorry that another Bun is poorly. I apologise for this reply being brief. I would not give her any more Emeprid til the Vet has examined her thoroughly to rule out an obstruction. I'd keep her warm and offer her some more fluids. With regards to 'tummy rubs', as long as you know what you are palpating then gentle abdominal massage is fine. But if you are not sure what an 'abnormal' abdomen feels like with regards to any bloat/obstruction I would not do any more for now.

I think you have already seen this info:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Can you just turn up at the Vet for when they open so that Mishka can hopefully be seen straight away ? Sending vibes for her x

Thank you so much for the reply Jane. So it was wrong to give the emeprid? It's not something I would normally do but we were looking at about 10hrs before she could see the vet and I was scared she would go right down like Maple did. With Maple I'm sure it was the delay in being able to get her to a vet that caused the outcome. I'm terrified of it happening again.
I'm pretty sure I'm rubbing her the right way, I've done it for every one of them and used to do it right back when I had Willow as my Dad wouldn't let her see a vet and she suffered with stasis a lot (long story). It's the same way I've been instructed by vets too. Her abdomen feels normal to me - I know how bloat feels as Maple went that way near the end... Mishka is quite soft and normal feeling and I'm careful to back off at any sign of discomfort.
I'm as certain as I can be without an x-ray/ultrasound etc that she doesn't have an obstruction. I can't see what could cause it as she's not a chewer etc.
She's got a warm blanket over her and a snugglesafe next to her and I'm checking regularly to make sure she doesn't overheat. I'm offering fluids regularly and offered her some very diluted critical care earlier which to my surprise she had, but only a very small amount just in case I'm wrong and it is an obstruction. I feel very certain that it's gas causing it but of course I'm not a vet so will be careful.

Oddly I'm not sure if I have seen that link? Though I did look at the ones you sent me last time. But then with my memory I never know. I will read it while I'm sitting with her - thank you.
I want to get ready and call straight away, I might actually call from the car. The vet is only about 10 mins away, though possibly longer with morning traffic so will take that into account. But they do like you to call ahead rather than just turn up, even if it's an emergency.
Thank you so much Jane. I really appreciate it.
I just wish I knew what was going on. I really thought we were on top of things :(

Edit: Having now read part way through the link I now understand what you mean - I did do the wrong thing giving the emeprid until I was certain it wasn't an obstruction :(
Thank you for pulling me up on it Jane - I know not to do it in the future. I just hope I haven't made her worse.
I had a feeling I shouldn't do it at the time but I didn't want her to get worse. I just can't see what happened with Maple happen again. No matter what I do I always manage to do the wrong thing somehow :(
Thank you for letting me know xx

Last edited:
I'm sorry to read that Mishka is not eating. I think a rabbit refusing to eat is probably one of the most stressful situations for any competent rabbit owner, as it is so often not obvious as to the cause.

Hopefully, your vet visit will go well and Mishka will soon be feeling a lot better. Sending lots of hugs and let us know how you get on.

Thanks Omi. I'm sure she'll be admitted for the day at least, she's not in a great way. Mostly sleeping so I'm trying to disturb her as little as possible. Her temperature is definitely trying to drop so I'm glad she's got the snugglesafe as it's keeping her a bit warmer. She's a bit uncomfortable but not really showing other signs of pain (e.g tooth grinding) and does get up a bit to clean herself.

Just getting everything ready to take her up and I've come back in to the room see her very slowly nibbling on some timothy hay! Definitely a good sign, that's the first interest she's had in food at all!

Just getting everything ready to take her up and I've come back in to the room see her very slowly nibbling on some timothy hay! Definitely a good sign, that's the first interest she's had in food at all!

That's encouraging news. You obviously have a fair bit of experience with 'stasis Rabbits'.My mentioning about not giving any more Emeprid was only suggesting what I would do in your situation. I was not saying that you 'got it wrong'. I am not qualified to make such a judgement :)

I hope that Mishka gets on OK at the Vets and that she'll soon be feeling alot better xx

So now I'm in a bit of a difficult spot. In the past 35 minutes she's suddenly bounced back to Mishka. She hasn't stopped eating for half an hour. Mostly she's having dried forage (ribwort is being picked out mostly) but also having some timothy hay.
Now I'm not too sure what to do because I'm sure she should have some motility meds at least and should see a vet but the problem is the vet really stresses her out badly (she's the worst for vet visits) and I know she will stop eating.
Do I still take her or watch her for a bit? She's currently bouncing around and literally hunting for food :shock:

Edit: She's now munching her way through fresh blackberry leaves very happily. She's not stopping!
She's now been eating virtually non-stop for the better part of an hour and isn't showing signs of slowing down. To look at her now she's just normal insane Mishka, bouncing all over the place eating everything in sight.

Edit again: Because I didn't want to stop her eating once she'd started I've been monitoring Mishka and have held off on the vet for the moment. In the past hour and a half she's not stopped eating. She's flopped a couple of times and been back up again withing 30 seconds looking for food again (aka normal Mishka behaviour) and she's also been drinking a fair amount. She's passed some normal looking droppings and also wet. She seems to be her normal bouncy self.
I'm not sure whether I should still take her up or not but for the moment I'm just monitoring as I don't want to stop her eating.
I know when bunnies bounce back they do it quickly but this is on a whole new level. I just hope it keeps up.

Last edited:
So now I'm in a bit of a difficult spot. In the past 35 minutes she's suddenly bounced back to Mishka. She hasn't stopped eating for half an hour. Mostly she's having dried forage (ribwort is being picked out mostly) but also having some timothy hay.
Now I'm not too sure what to do because I'm sure she should have some motility meds at least and should see a vet but the problem is the vet really stresses her out badly (she's the worst for vet visits) and I know she will stop eating.
Do I still take her or watch her for a bit? She's currently bouncing around and literally hunting for food :shock:

Edit: She's now munching her way through fresh blackberry leaves very happily. She's not stopping!
She's now been eating virtually non-stop for the better part of an hour and isn't showing signs of slowing down. To look at her now she's just normal insane Mishka, bouncing all over the place eating everything in sight.

Edit again: Because I didn't want to stop her eating once she'd started I've been monitoring Mishka and have held off on the vet for the moment. In the past hour and a half she's not stopped eating. She's flopped a couple of times and been back up again withing 30 seconds looking for food again (aka normal Mishka behaviour) and she's also been drinking a fair amount. She's passed some normal looking droppings and also wet. She seems to be her normal bouncy self.
I'm not sure whether I should still take her up or not but for the moment I'm just monitoring as I don't want to stop her eating.
I know when bunnies bounce back they do it quickly but this is on a whole new level. I just hope it keeps up.

This is looking good!

Apologies if you've already said this - but have you given Infacol?

Good luck for her continued recovery - you know where I am ;)

Yes, I gave her three lots. Last lot was around 4am if I recall?
I'm not kidding, she hasn't stopped eating. She's flopped down a few times and before you know it's she's up again eating something else. Dried forage is the favourite at the moment but she got through all the fresh blackberry leaves very fast too. Strawberry leaves went next. She's had a long drink too - probably dehydrated from it all but she's certainly making up for it now.
The way she is I'm just monitoring for the moment. I can't believe the sudden turn around she's had but I don't want to put her under more stress by taking her up the vet just yet as she's eating so well at the moment. I'm going to see how she goes and watch her carefully. Any negative signs I'll take her straight up. For the moment she's waking all the other buns up (who are having their late morning nap) with all her bouncing around :lol:

I'm not kidding, she hasn't stopped eating. She's flopped down a few times and before you know it's she's up again eating something else. Dried forage is the favourite at the moment but she got through all the fresh blackberry leaves very fast too. Strawberry leaves went next. She's had a long drink too - probably dehydrated from it all but she's certainly making up for it now.
The way she is I'm just monitoring for the moment. I can't believe the sudden turn around she's had but I don't want to put her under more stress by taking her up the vet just yet as she's eating so well at the moment. I'm going to see how she goes and watch her carefully. Any negative signs I'll take her straight up. For the moment she's waking all the other buns up (who are having their late morning nap) with all her bouncing around :lol:

I've been ridiculed for suggesting Infacol might do any good, but the proof of the pudding ...... ;)

Good girl Mishka!
I hope she continues to make a good recovery x

Pleased to say that Mishka has spent the day being Mishka and has been eating everything in sight. She truly seems back to herself. I'm being cautious and this time we're ready in case we do have to go to Vets Now overnight but so far everything's looking good.
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for replying, I truly appreciate it and I truly value your knowledge.
I just wish I knew if this was a coincidence or if it's related to why all the others had trouble. I really can't figure out where I'm going wrong. They're clean, they're kept as stress free as possible and I'm pretty sure at this point they have a good diet. Thing is it's not like one bunny with a chronic problem, it's been a different one each time. It just doesn't make sense to me :?
Anyway, it looks like Mishka might be okay and that's the main thing.
Thank you again for all your help, everyone xx

I am very pleased that Mishka is fully back to normal. I can understand how wary you must feel about her, but it certainly seems she is feeling a lot better.

I really don't think this is anything that you are doing wrong and their diet seems perfect to me.

I don't have any answers for you. I know with my rabbits that if one of them is not eating I am immediately considering a vet visit, but on several occasions the rabbit has returned to normal eating with a little bit of encouragement and it hasn't been necessary to take them to the vet. It's a very difficult judgement to make, especially when you (like with Mishka) have to take into consideration the stress of the vet visit. I would say you need to know your rabbit very well and need to observe carefully their behaviour in addition to the non-eating. Knowing when they last ate and drank is useful, as is knowing when they last pooed. You also need to be available to be able to devote time to very close observation of the situation to judge how long to leave it before going to the vet.

Glad she seems better just had same situation here this evening with chase, fingers crossed he now munching hay, and had 2 fenugreek crunchies

Pleased to say that Mishka has spent the day being Mishka and has been eating everything in sight. She truly seems back to herself. I'm being cautious and this time we're ready in case we do have to go to Vets Now overnight but so far everything's looking good.
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for replying, I truly appreciate it and I truly value your knowledge.
I just wish I knew if this was a coincidence or if it's related to why all the others had trouble. I really can't figure out where I'm going wrong. They're clean, they're kept as stress free as possible and I'm pretty sure at this point they have a good diet. Thing is it's not like one bunny with a chronic problem, it's been a different one each time. It just doesn't make sense to me :?

You're really welcome - it can be a nail-biting time!

It's really difficult to say why it's happening. I don't think you are going wrong at all. It's impossible with these mysterious little creatures and often the vets can't shed any light either!

Fingers crossed all remains well overnight xx

I am glad to read a good update and I hope that Mishka remains well now :D

Thank you for asking :) Don't want to keep bothing you all now that she's okay so I wasn't going to post again but yes, Mishka is most certainly back to Mishka. She will not. Stop. Eating. I'd almost say she's worse than usual?! She seems to be making up for having gone a while without food!
I'm being cautious in case but I really think she's going to be okay now. She's back to her usual, insane self :lol:

Glad she seems better just had same situation here this evening with chase, fingers crossed he now munching hay, and had 2 fenugreek crunchies
Oh goodness, I'm so sorry! Glad to hear he's eating some hay now though. Hope he's a bit better now?

Last edited:
Back