• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit housing advice/ideas please

Hello Everyone, I am requesting wisdom and advice yet again. I have just moved into a new house and at the end of the garden where my rabbits will be is a large square brick pond approx 8 x 8 feet but I don't know how deep it is. It is built up above ground level by about 5 bricks height. I hope that makes sense.

My plan at the moment is to drain the pond, fill it with dirt then put a patio (of sorts) on top so that the hutch and run can sit on there with a couple of tunnels and smaller runs around the perimeter of the garden. But before I go ahead with that I wondered if anyone else had any better suggestions or ideas for what I could do with the space to make my 2 bunnies happy? thanks in advance...

The first thing that popped into my mind was some kind of 'underground' burrow, with tunnels going in and around, rather than build on top. But in reality I'm not sure if it's even practical :roll: x

The first thing that popped into my mind was some kind of 'underground' burrow, with tunnels going in and around, rather than build on top. But in reality I'm not sure if it's even practical :roll: x
What if the tunnels were underneath but it was covered with mesh, then turf rolls so you can still easily access the tunnels by lifting the mesh? Not sure how strong/safe this would be or if it would even work.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

What if the tunnels were underneath but it was covered with mesh, then turf rolls so you can still easily access the tunnels by lifting the mesh? Not sure how strong/safe this would be or if it would even work.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yeah, I dunno. I guess there's a possibility of it flooding in bad weather, unless it had some kind of drainage system. Could be a lot of work. Hmmm...... x

Hi any great ideas for outside shelter for my bunnies? I have 3 now.:) I'm thinking its like a bike shed or a garden shed maybe. like transprent ones? any suggestions please. Im also looking at the web searching. but still asking for rabbit lovers like me. :love:

Hi any great ideas for outside shelter for my bunnies? I have 3 now.:) I'm thinking its like a bike shed or a garden shed maybe. like transprent ones? any suggestions please. Im also looking at the web searching. but still asking for rabbit lovers like me. :love:

Take a look through here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...door-Housing&p=5207976&viewfull=1#post5207976

I have an outside shed with runs attached via a catflap and find it works really well. If you have specific questions, please just ask.

I like the tunnels idea. It's what I would do if I had bigger space. You could mesh the base of what was the pond and then full in with dirt and create something along these lines:

655b972801999568ce5939b7972f898b.jpg

79e22006a436d4435be3f7564c0290c5.jpg

Because you're starting above ground level, you'd have a great area to make some tunnels for them. :)

I like the tunnels idea. It's what I would do if I had bigger space. You could mesh the base of what was the pond and then full in with dirt and create something along these lines:

Because you're starting above ground level, you'd have a great area to make some tunnels for them. :)

Liza this is super cool..:love: its like they are not inside the cage. Now, i'm confused. :lol:

These tunnels look amazing and I can imagine how a rabbit's environment could be made to get closer to that in the wild.

I am perhaps naturally cautious though and would be concerned to create something similar to this. Firstly, I would consider that when a rabbit is feeling scared or unwell it will try to move itself into hiding. In this case obviously it would be ideal to get into a tunnel and then it would be very difficult (and distressing) to try to get it out. Secondly, in this particular case, new soil used to fill up the pond area would take a while to settle and compact. That would need to be taken into consideration whether you make tunnels or put any hutch etc on the top. Personally, I think I would pack it with hardcore before erecting accommodation on top.

yeah,this is the closest thing to that in the wild. I agree.

I already talked to my wife if we can convert a bit of our garden to this. She loved it but still want to think about it first.
I hope you can help me convince her.

This looks amazing! the trouble is my rabbits love pooing on grass which is really difficult to clean up. They are litter trained unless there is grass around. What does everyone else do about this?

Back