• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Trouble with back legs - he's gone

weedug

Mama Doe
Sorry to appear when things are going bad again, but I am quite worried about Mr Bubble, who is now 12.

He has been having problems with his balance for a few months, and has been treated for ec because his blood test showed high levels of the parasite. He is also on metacam and Tramadol for eye ulcers, and emeprid to help his poos. He is blind from cataracts and his limited hearing. The vet prescribed gabapentin 0.1ml twice a day about a week ago to try to help his mobility.

These past few days, Bubble has been much worse. He had an increase of the gabapentin yesterday to 0.15 ml twice a day and today is having a lot of problem with his rear end. At times he is circling with his back end on the ground, at other times he just can't get up. Does anyone know if it could be the gabapentin? I don't know how much it is fair to put him through, at his age and being blind. My heart breaks seeing him like this.

I will contact the vet tomorrow but just wondered if anyone knew if the gabapentin could cause this?

Last edited:
I've not known gabapentin to have this effect, but I'm limited experience with its use in rabbits.

I think having a conversation with your vet is best at this point to discuss QOL and if anything else may be done to help.

Lots of vibes being sent to yourself and of course Bubble x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Sorry to appear when things are going bad again, but I am quite worried about Mr Bubble, who is now 12.

He has been having problems with his balance for a few months, and has been treated for ec because his blood test showed high levels of the parasite. He is also on metacam and Tramadol for eye ulcers, and emeprid to help his poos. He is blind from cataracts and his limited hearing. The vet prescribed gabapentin 0.1ml twice a day about a week ago to try to help his mobility.

These past few days, Bubble has been much worse. He had an increase of the gabapentin yesterday to 0.15 ml twice a day and today is having a lot of problem with his rear end. At times he is circling with his back end on the ground, at other times he just can't get up. Does anyone know if it could be the gabapentin? I don't know how much it is fair to put him through, at his age and being blind. My heart breaks seeing him like this.

I will contact the vet tomorrow but just wondered if anyone knew if the gabapentin could cause this?

I am sorry that this will be a brief reply, I did not want to fail to pass on this info, scroll down to page 4 on this link

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Neurolpetic/gabapent_effects.pdf

I would contact your Vet ASAP to discuss the situtaion

I had been planning on retrying gabapentin with Mimz and Fiver but they worsened and passed before I could. :(
It seemed to help them before we left Alaska, but they hated it so we stopped using it. It wasn't a drug we could travel with either since it needed refrigeration.

The symptoms you're describing remind me of how Mimzy was about a month ago. I would think it wasn't the medication. :( I agree with dp, it might be a good idea to speak with your vet.
My most fond wishes for you and dear Mr. Bubble. xxxxxxx

Thank you all for the replies. Just waiting on a vet to phone me back. Unfortunately Bubbles' usual vet isn't in today so it will be someone else phoning.

MimzMum, I'm so sorry you lost your precious Fiver :cry:

Thank you all for the replies. Just waiting on a vet to phone me back. Unfortunately Bubbles' usual vet isn't in today so it will be someone else phoning.

MimzMum, I'm so sorry you lost your precious Fiver :cry:

Thank you, weedug. We miss him and Mimzy terribly. :cry:
I really hope your vet can help. I read over Jane's link and it has me thinking back to how my two dealt with gabapentin and I'm going to withdraw my opinion. For all I know it may have caused their recent difficulties. :(

I do believe nerve agents in general should be used with cautions, and sometimes vets do not stress enough how high the risks are. I sympathize that your regular vet is not in today, but hope you will get the help you need for Bubble. (((((((((hugs and vibes))))))))))) xxxxxxx

The vet still hasn't been in touch. I stopped the gabapentin last night, not knowing that it shouldn't have been stopped suddenly. Bubble has been a better today. He has a problem with his rear end anyway, but last night he was really bad. His normal vet will be in tomorrow so hopefully will be able to get a hold of her.

The vet still hasn't been in touch. I stopped the gabapentin last night, not knowing that it shouldn't have been stopped suddenly. Bubble has been a better today. He has a problem with his rear end anyway, but last night he was really bad. His normal vet will be in tomorrow so hopefully will be able to get a hold of her.

Sorry that the Vet did not get back to you. I am glad that Mr B is doing a bit better today and I hope his usual Vet can offer some useful advice tomorrow x

Sorry that the Vet did not get back to you. I am glad that Mr B is doing a bit better today and I hope his usual Vet can offer some useful advice tomorrow x

Someone finally got back to me and recommended I stop the gabapentin. Bubble has an appointment tomorrow morning to get checked over.

Bubble has had his check up, and it's not good news. The vet is very concerned about his quality of life with everything that he has wrong. We have decided that pts is probably the best option for him. I've to phone in a day or so if he is the same and arrange a time.

I don't know how I will manage without another if my little friends.

Bubble has had his check up, and it's not good news. The vet is very concerned about his quality of life with everything that he has wrong. We have decided that pts is probably the best option for him. I've to phone in a day or so if he is the same and arrange a time.

I am so sorry to read this sad update :cry: Mr Bubble has coped with a lot for a long time. You have obviously done a fantastic job caring for him. I am sure that you will do whatever is in his best interests, as you always have done xx

Oh gosh, this is so sad :(

You haven't had an easy time of it yourself, and now this.

I am so sorry x

Thank you both. I want to keep going with him, but realise that he is unhappy now and I need to do what is best for him. I don't know how I will cope though

Thank you both. I want to keep going with him, but realise that he is unhappy now and I need to do what is best for him. I don't know how I will cope though

I empathise :cry: I think we all somehow find ways to 'cope' as best we can.If only our little friends' lives were much, much longer :cry:

I am here if you need to talk, weedug. It's recent for me and I can relate, so holding out a virtual hand. By all means, pm me if you need to, I can at least lend a shoulder and an ear. ((((((((((((((Huge hugs))))))))))))))))))))))

They are so deep in our hearts. And that is where they will always be. I am thinking of you and Bubble and sending squishes. xxxxxxxxxxx

Back