• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not sure what to do!!

Niklovesrats

Warren Scout
So... Just a bit of history so you can advise best.... I have 1 giant that live indoors (soon to be 2) I have peter and velvet a bonded male/female pair, 2 sisters that live together and a single male who is a bit feisty and tragically ended up killing one of my rabbits that I would have bonded him with but we hadn't got that far when a tragedy struck... anyhow my husband want to rescue a male lop, has had a sad little life living alone, classic story of kids lost interest! My question is.... if I say yes do we try to bond with the girls and have a trio or separate the girls and try to go for x2 male/female pairs????? Im open to any suggestions... forgot to add... all neutered!!

Are you able to provide a bit more detail on your lone male please?
What happened between him and the other you tried to bond? How long ago was this? Has he lived with rabbit company before?

Thanks x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

So... Just a bit of history so you can advise best.... I have 1 giant that live indoors (soon to be 2) I have peter and velvet a bonded male/female pair, 2 sisters that live together and a single male who is a bit feisty and tragically ended up killing one of my rabbits that I would have bonded him with but we hadn't got that far when a tragedy struck... anyhow my husband want to rescue a male lop, has had a sad little life living alone, classic story of kids lost interest! My question is.... if I say yes do we try to bond with the girls and have a trio or separate the girls and try to go for x2 male/female pairs????? Im open to any suggestions... forgot to add... all neutered!!

just from the little history here I would say a male/female pairing is most likely to succeed.

If you bond him with the girls, doesn't that leave one male without partner?

I don't think I'd want to separate the girls (not that you couldn't) but if they are happy together I'd be reluctant to change that.

I'd probably end up taking in the new male and getting him a brand new female partner :oops::lol: In fact I have done just that here! x

I don't think I'd want to separate the girls (not that you couldn't) but if they are happy together I'd be reluctant to change that.

I'd probably end up taking in the new male and getting him a brand new female partner :oops::lol: In fact I have done just that here!
x

:love: xxxx

Are you able to provide a bit more detail on your lone male please?
What happened between him and the other you tried to bond? How long ago was this? Has he lived with rabbit company before?

Thanks x

Rex was separated from the male colony at PAH as being a "bully" initially they thought he was being bullied but turns out he is the bully!! I adopted him as a single rabbit. Someone on here then got me interested in Continental Giants and I did some research and decided I would like one. Got a female with the intention to bond with rex. They had been able to sniff through bars and when rex was running free he could approach her cage and sniff her through bars. We hadn't even got as far as introducing without it being through bars. All bunnies are litter trained and we were changing trays, my daughter was doing Rex and I was doing Holly and Rex slipped out of his cage into hers..... it all happened very very quickly but we knew it was serious, went to the vets and had to leave her, then they rang me at 5am and basically said that how his nails had caught and ripped her, if she was going to survive it would be with an amputation necessary and months and months of recovery time, if she recovered at all, they deemed kindest thing to PTS. So after that ive been too scared to even attempt to bond him with another rabbit, especially given that we hadn't got that far!! It was a tragedy that I couldn't bear to go through again!!!

Rex was separated from the male colony at PAH as being a "bully" initially they thought he was being bullied but turns out he is the bully!! I adopted him as a single rabbit. Someone on here then got me interested in Continental Giants and I did some research and decided I would like one. Got a female with the intention to bond with rex. They had been able to sniff through bars and when rex was running free he could approach her cage and sniff her through bars. We hadn't even got as far as introducing without it being through bars. All bunnies are litter trained and we were changing trays, my daughter was doing Rex and I was doing Holly and Rex slipped out of his cage into hers..... it all happened very very quickly but we knew it was serious, went to the vets and had to leave her, then they rang me at 5am and basically said that how his nails had caught and ripped her, if she was going to survive it would be with an amputation necessary and months and months of recovery time, if she recovered at all, they deemed kindest thing to PTS. So after that ive been too scared to even attempt to bond him with another rabbit, especially given that we hadn't got that far!! It was a tragedy that I couldn't bear to go through again!!!
Oh I'm so incredibly sorry xxx

It doesn't sound like he isn't a bond able bunny. Just one that'll need the right partner.
I agree with other, if the pair of girls is happy I'd keep them together and try to find Rex his perfect match of his own x

Back