• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cheyletiella mites

Gwen

New Kit
Poor Sophie has Walking Dandruff. Tried diatomaceous earth dusting powder which initially reduced the scratching in my dogs - but not for long . I know rabbits are not supposed to be bathed , but I'm getting desperate. I have Johnsons Insecticidal shampoo at the ready or The Natural Enzymes Shampoo. The latter is actually starting to work on my dogs ! Sophie is a house bunny who lives in the sitting room, floor is carpeted . Advice please .

Stronghold topical treatment - the kitten/puppy dose. :thumb:
You get 3 treatments in the pack but you might only need to one. Good stuff!

You need to take her to the vet for a treatment that is safe for rabbits.
Agree.
The active ingredient normally used to treat mites is Invermectin but you can't use dog or cat treatments without vet direction as the doses are different for rabbits.

I don't get why everyone uses this diatomaceous earth. It's used in industrial insecticides :shock:

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Poor Sophie has Walking Dandruff. Tried diatomaceous earth dusting powder which initially reduced the scratching in my dogs - but not for long . I know rabbits are not supposed to be bathed , but I'm getting desperate. I have Johnsons Insecticidal shampoo at the ready or The Natural Enzymes Shampoo. The latter is actually starting to work on my dogs ! Sophie is a house bunny who lives in the sitting room, floor is carpeted . Advice please .

HI Gwen and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Diatomaceous Earth is an old remedy, and probably quite effective, but it can be quite damaging if inhaled. Not something I would dust over a pet, but you may have had advice to do so?

So for Cheyletiella mites, as others have said, the treatment is Ivermectin. Given to all rabbits in contact with each other, and the dose repeated at two weekly intervals for three doses. It's usually given as a spot on treatment these days.

Please don't bath your rabbit! The shampoos are not guaranteed to work on rabbits and bathing is very stressful for rabbits.

You can by an over the counter spot on, called Xeno, but you will need the weight of the rabbit and your vet can more correctly identify the dosage:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Pharmaq_Ivermectin_Spot-On_Drops/c19097/

Xeno 450 is what vets often use. I visit a vet for mites, even after 25+ years of caring for hundreds of rabbits, because if a rabbit has mites, it's a sign their immune system is down in some way, and I want a vet to spot what else is going on for my bun :)

Good luck xx

HI Gwen and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Diatomaceous Earth is an old remedy, and probably quite effective, but it can be quite damaging if inhaled. Not something I would dust over a pet, but you may have had advice to do so?

So for Cheyletiella mites, as others have said, the treatment is Ivermectin. Given to all rabbits in contact with each other, and the dose repeated at two weekly intervals for three doses. It's usually given as a spot on treatment these days.

Please don't bath your rabbit! The shampoos are not guaranteed to work on rabbits and bathing is very stressful for rabbits.

You can by an over the counter spot on, called Xeno, but you will need the weight of the rabbit and your vet can more correctly identify the dosage:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Pharmaq_Ivermectin_Spot-On_Drops/c19097/

Xeno 450 is what vets often use. I visit a vet for mites, even after 25+ years of caring for hundreds of rabbits, because if a rabbit has mites, it's a sign their immune system is down in some way, and I want a vet to spot what else is going on for my bun :)

Good luck xx
A lovely detailed response x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back