Thread: Cheyletiella mites

Default Cheyletiella mites

Poor Sophie has Walking Dandruff. Tried diatomaceous earth dusting powder which initially reduced the scratching in my dogs - but not for long . I know rabbits are not supposed to be bathed , but I'm getting desperate. I have Johnsons Insecticidal shampoo at the ready or The Natural Enzymes Shampoo. The latter is actually starting to work on my dogs ! Sophie is a house bunny who lives in the sitting room, floor is carpeted . Advice please .

You need to take her to the vet for a treatment that is safe for rabbits.

Stronghold topical treatment - the kitten/puppy dose.
    You get 3 treatments in the pack but you might only need to one. Good stuff!

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    Agree.
    The active ingredient normally used to treat mites is Invermectin but you can't use dog or cat treatments without vet direction as the doses are different for rabbits.

I don't get why everyone uses this diatomaceous earth. It's used in industrial insecticides

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daphnephoebe; 10-09-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    Even the strongest need to have a day of weakness

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gwen View Post
    Poor Sophie has Walking Dandruff. Tried diatomaceous earth dusting powder which initially reduced the scratching in my dogs - but not for long . I know rabbits are not supposed to be bathed , but I'm getting desperate. I have Johnsons Insecticidal shampoo at the ready or The Natural Enzymes Shampoo. The latter is actually starting to work on my dogs ! Sophie is a house bunny who lives in the sitting room, floor is carpeted . Advice please .

HI Gwen and welcome to the Forum

Diatomaceous Earth is an old remedy, and probably quite effective, but it can be quite damaging if inhaled. Not something I would dust over a pet, but you may have had advice to do so?

So for Cheyletiella mites, as others have said, the treatment is Ivermectin. Given to all rabbits in contact with each other, and the dose repeated at two weekly intervals for three doses. It's usually given as a spot on treatment these days.

Please don't bath your rabbit! The shampoos are not guaranteed to work on rabbits and bathing is very stressful for rabbits.

You can by an over the counter spot on, called Xeno, but you will need the weight of the rabbit and your vet can more correctly identify the dosage:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_di...e/fur_mite.htm

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Pharmaq_Ive..._Drops/c19097/

Xeno 450 is what vets often use. I visit a vet for mites, even after 25+ years of caring for hundreds of rabbits, because if a rabbit has mites, it's a sign their immune system is down in some way, and I want a vet to spot what else is going on for my bun

Good luck xx

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    HI Gwen and welcome to the Forum

Diatomaceous Earth is an old remedy, and probably quite effective, but it can be quite damaging if inhaled. Not something I would dust over a pet, but you may have had advice to do so?

So for Cheyletiella mites, as others have said, the treatment is Ivermectin. Given to all rabbits in contact with each other, and the dose repeated at two weekly intervals for three doses. It's usually given as a spot on treatment these days.

Please don't bath your rabbit! The shampoos are not guaranteed to work on rabbits and bathing is very stressful for rabbits.

You can by an over the counter spot on, called Xeno, but you will need the weight of the rabbit and your vet can more correctly identify the dosage:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_di...e/fur_mite.htm

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Pharmaq_Ive..._Drops/c19097/

Xeno 450 is what vets often use. I visit a vet for mites, even after 25+ years of caring for hundreds of rabbits, because if a rabbit has mites, it's a sign their immune system is down in some way, and I want a vet to spot what else is going on for my bun

Good luck xx
    A lovely detailed response x

Even the strongest need to have a day of weakness

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by daphnephoebe View Post
    A lovely detailed response x

How kind