• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit biting cage

Chantelle1708

Young Bun
I have an 11 week old mini lop. He's out for an hour in the mornings on week days, and out from 6pm all night. Plus out the cage all weekend however, recently he's started biting his cage all the time when he's out.. I take the metal top off his cage and put it down near the stairs as a guard because he will go up otherwise. I don't know if he's biting because he wants to go up or if he's bored but I'm worried as will this damage his teeth? He also has plenty of toys and tunnels. Is this normal behaviour?

It's 5 foot long. He doesn't bite when he's in it as he knows it's either bedtime or he can't come out. He bites when I use it as a guard to cordon off a part of a room

He's probably getting frustrated that he cant mobe it and get up thevstairs!
Incidentally, the cage is much too small an area for him to be confined to (from your description I'm guessing its one of those with a deep plastic tray and a wire top).

Rabbits need to have the freedom to exercise all day and night. There are some very good examples of indoor housing on here: large dog crates with attached runs seem quite popular. To give you an idea, the recommended housing for an outdoor rabbit is a 6ft hutch attached to a run of 8ftbx 6ft. Unfortunately the ones like yours are sold as being suitable for rabbits, which they're not. Some people take the top off and use the base as a litter tray.

I'm assuming he has an unlimited supply of good quality hay to chomp on.

He's probably getting frustrated that he cant mobe it and get up thevstairs!
Incidentally, the cage is much too small an area for him to be confined to (from your description I'm guessing its one of those with a deep plastic tray and a wire top).

Rabbits need to have the freedom to exercise all day and night. There are some very good examples of indoor housing on here: large dog crates with attached runs seem quite popular. To give you an idea, the recommended housing for an outdoor rabbit is a 6ft hutch attached to a run of 8ftbx 6ft. Unfortunately the ones like yours are sold as being suitable for rabbits, which they're not. Some people take the top off and use the base as a litter tray.

I'm assuming he has an unlimited supply of good quality hay to chomp on.
:thumb:

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Are you in a position to rabbit proof the room so they can have full time access? You might find that the bar biting stops, when they have more freedom.

One of our rabbits lives in my daughters bedroom, he is out all the time and fortunately no trouble. His cage is permanently open and we just use it to keep his litter trays and hay in.

What's his name? Id love to see a photo? Is he your first rabbit? x

Are you in a position to rabbit proof the room so they can have full time access? You might find that the bar biting stops, when they have more freedom.

One of our rabbits lives in my daughters bedroom, he is out all the time and fortunately no trouble. His cage is permanently open and we just use it to keep his litter trays and hay in.

What's his name? Id love to see a photo? Is he your first rabbit? x

:thumb:

Hi thanks for info.

Yes he has full roam of the kitchen now as of the last 2 days. He only goes in there at night for bed now and out during the day and till late.

I finally figured the biting out and let him upstairs to which he ran round my bedroom and landing like he was possessed and constantly wants to be up there now but he is not allowed unless I am there as for some reason, although he is litter trained, he tends to wee on my bed and sofa for some odd reason.

His name is George he is my first rabbit although at the last vet check up, they couldn't say for sure if he was a he and not a she :shock: another few weeks and then I will know hopefully, the plan is to get another when he's older and fixed but he has become slightly obsessed with me (it's just me and him) and constantly climbing up my legs and wanting strokes so I can imagine bonding a new bun will be hard especially if George turns out to be a she!!

Hi thanks for info.

Yes he has full roam of the kitchen now as of the last 2 days. He only goes in there at night for bed now and out during the day and till late.

I finally figured the biting out and let him upstairs to which he ran round my bedroom and landing like he was possessed and constantly wants to be up there now but he is not allowed unless I am there as for some reason, although he is litter trained, he tends to wee on my bed and sofa for some odd reason.

His name is George he is my first rabbit although at the last vet check up, they couldn't say for sure if he was a he and not a she :shock: another few weeks and then I will know hopefully, the plan is to get another when he's older and fixed but he has become slightly obsessed with me (it's just me and him) and constantly climbing up my legs and wanting strokes so I can imagine bonding a new bun will be hard especially if George turns out to be a she!!
He sounds lovely!
They do have a habit of toileting on sofa absorbent furnishings, I guess they just know!

Even if George turned out to be a Georgie bonding will be possible. You just might need to rescue a male from a rescue center that can bond them away from her territory :) x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

As for pics of him, not sure if this is possible to see but this is his first ever taste of something other than pellets and Hay - Basil. He LOVES it!!!

https://www.facebook.com/chantelle.foster/videos/10214226159509108/

I think it must be set to private or friends, so can't see photograph. Basil tends to be a real favourite - very useful if you need to medicate him
It really sounds as though you have made progress with George. A litter tray stuffed with hay in your bedroom may, just may, help with the peeing on your bed, as will neutering.

Yes, I can't see either.

It's sweet that it's the two if you and he/she follows you around :love:

I think lots of buns like weeing on beds etc unfortunately. We are just lucky that my dd has a cabin bed with a desk underneath, so ours has no chance of doing that. Our boy Spud is an odd one though, because he's not destructive (so far anyway), my dd has been know to leave headphone wires lying around and he doesn't bother with them, he's always got his head in his hay :lol: x

Oh sorry, should be able to see it now as had it set to private!

In terms of you saying he is not destructive etc, George has many toys and tents and tunnels but he doesn't seem to want to bother with most of them. Is there any good recommendations or even home-made?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-Naturals-Carrot-Cottage-Rabbit/dp/B00D42I1R0?th=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-B...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0WG9368V4F5Q3HTX51VT
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-B...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8NTM2HHNQ3DCYFYZ52JD

These are all things I've brought a number of times, as all our rabbits like them. But they'd be just as happy with a cardboard box or kitchen roll tube. I usually keep the big Amazon boxes that arrive and cut doors in them.

Before Spud was in the bedroom, we had our Dottie in there and she made a hole in the carpet, would chew up the lino and squeeze herself behind the playpen panels into areas she wasn't supposed to go. Whereas Spud just chills out and digs around in his hay! x

Back