• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Aggressive behaviour after castration

Graciee

Staff member
Hi, my male bunny had the op about 3 weeks ago, before he was lovely, happy and fearless - after the op he took about a week to start eating on his own, he had a bad reaction to the painkillers he basically had a really bad trip (spoke to the vet said he'd seen it happen a couple of times before in a dog and a cat) since then he's started eating etc but now he seems completely terrified of me :( and he bites and thumps if I go near him it's all not good really, he goes in his pen on the grass and is just totally freaked out and thumps and lunges - not sure what to do for him :( anyone experienced this before? Do I have to rebond with him? If he'll even let me? He just seems seriously different. Any advice appreciated.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Hi, my male bunny had the op about 3 weeks ago, before he was lovely, happy and fearless - after the op he took about a week to start eating on his own, he had a bad reaction to the painkillers he basically had a really bad trip (spoke to the vet said he'd seen it happen a couple of times before in a dog and a cat) since then he's started eating etc but now he seems completely terrified of me :( and he bites and thumps if I go near him it's all not good really, he goes in his pen on the grass and is just totally freaked out and thumps and lunges - not sure what to do for him :( anyone experienced this before? Do I have to rebond with him? If he'll even let me? He just seems seriously different. Any advice appreciated.

Sorry to hear about this Gracie. As if you didn't have enough problems :(

He may need more time to settle down and begin to trust you again. It will take a bit of time if he's been traumatised. But I should also examine the wound (if you haven't recently) to make sure there is nothing there that could be making him have pain. No soreness or hay stuck, or swelling or redness. That would contribute to his moodiness with you.

If there's no sign of painful distress, then take it gently, as it sounds like he's feeling the shock of the situation. Try and gently rebond with him. After traumatic experiences this can be what we need to do with our bunnies.

Good luck for you xx

I'm sorry to hear this. It sounds to me also as though he is very unsettled with himself at the moment. I think if all is physically OK with him, it is just going to take a while for him to feel that he can relax a bit, not only with you but also everything around him.

I think you're both right, been spending more time near him but not interacting with him and he's got a tiny bit better but still very spooked - he's been out in the outside pen again and has run around a little bit which is better than being frozen and thumping until I was in there with him but I think it'll just take time unfortunately :( he doesn't seem to like being alone, he's up at the bars of the pen, better when I'm there, but sometimes gets aggressive (bit my boyfriend) I've checked him over and he looks completely fine the only thing that's off is when he's in the outside pen he poops a lot of the nighttime ones but they're very large and there's lots of them and they're a bit wetter than normal ones... (sorry this is grim haha) there are none in his hutch but he could just be eating them? Also not sure if I should take him to the vet for this? I mean there's nothing really to see :( x

I think you're both right, been spending more time near him but not interacting with him and he's got a tiny bit better but still very spooked - he's been out in the outside pen again and has run around a little bit which is better than being frozen and thumping until I was in there with him but I think it'll just take time unfortunately :( he doesn't seem to like being alone, he's up at the bars of the pen, better when I'm there, but sometimes gets aggressive (bit my boyfriend) I've checked him over and he looks completely fine the only thing that's off is when he's in the outside pen he poops a lot of the nighttime ones but they're very large and there's lots of them and they're a bit wetter than normal ones... (sorry this is grim haha) there are none in his hutch but he could just be eating them? Also not sure if I should take him to the vet for this? I mean there's nothing really to see :( x

Gracie, how is he now? Have things settled down?

Not really, he has started to accept me near him more, I brought him inside and he was terrified of me but after about 45 minutes he came over and licked my hand, and then laid down right up against me - which was a good sign? But then 30 minutes of being back out in his hutch he was weird again :( Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but hoping it will just take time, and he'll eventually be able to trust me again. Clementine was spayed yesterday, she's such a fighter haha her ear never even went floppy, she was a little sleepy and didn't want to be alone but was tucking into her veggie plate as soon as she got home and then this morning was running around the lounge playing - nothing phases her haha I'm worried she'll hurt herself sometimes so she's back in her cage :)

Not really, he has started to accept me near him more, I brought him inside and he was terrified of me but after about 45 minutes he came over and licked my hand, and then laid down right up against me - which was a good sign? But then 30 minutes of being back out in his hutch he was weird again :( Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but hoping it will just take time, and he'll eventually be able to trust me again. Clementine was spayed yesterday, she's such a fighter haha her ear never even went floppy, she was a little sleepy and didn't want to be alone but was tucking into her veggie plate as soon as she got home and then this morning was running around the lounge playing - nothing phases her haha I'm worried she'll hurt herself sometimes so she's back in her cage :)

Yes that's a good sign :)

Well done Clementine! I am so glad she's made a good recovery :)

Back