• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP!! Poorly Bunny with eyes constantly scanning left to right and off balance

bunny mummy 1

Warren Scout
This morning I went into my house bunnies to see Bailey (5 female, neutered) with her head on the side and eyes and head scanning side to side across the room. (As if she's reading a book) She ate a few bits of hay and seemed to have energy to hop out her house but was a bit off balance. (She's pooing currently)
As I've never seen her like this I immediately booked an emergency vet appointment. The vet looked in her ears and eyes and there was no visible infection and prescribed antibiotics and anti inflammatory incase there is inflammation in her head but said there didn't appear to be anything wrong with her physically. Apart from the obvious.
We went home and I put the water dish infront of her and she drank a lot! She hasnt been using the litter tray (which she always does) and I'm thinking she couldn't find the water bowl either.
I gave her antibiotics and critical care to keep her pooping and she actually ate it all without any fight so I'm thinking she was pretty hungry which is weird as she wouldnt eat anything herself (pellets or hay or salad) but snatched grapes out my hand and ran off so fast she actually fell over on her side because She now has even worse balance.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I am not sure whether it's typical head tilt as she lives inside so not really susceptible to parasites and the vet didn't really seem to know either

Last edited:
This morning I went into my house bunnies to see Bailey (5 female, neutered) with her head on the side and eyes and head scanning side to side across the room. (As if she's reading a book) She ate a few bits of hay and seemed to have energy to hop out her house but was a bit off balance. (She's pooing currently)
As I've never seen her like this I immediately booked an emergency vet appointment. The vet looked in her ears and eyes and there was no visible infection and prescribed antibiotics and anti inflammatory incase there is inflammation in her head but said there didn't appear to be anything wrong with her physically. Apart from the obvious.
We went home and I put the water dish infront of her and she drank a lot! She hasnt been using the litter tray (which she always does) and I'm thinking she couldn't find the water bowl either.
I gave her antibiotics and critical care to keep her pooping and she actually ate it all without any fight so I'm thinking she was pretty hungry which is weird as she wouldnt eat anything herself (pellets or hay or salad) but snatched grapes out my hand and ran off so fast she actually fell over on her side because She now has even worse balance.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I am not sure whether it's typical head tilt as she lives inside so not really susceptible to parasites and the vet didn't really seem to know either

I'm really sorry to hear about Bailey, that sounds really distressing for you both.

The side to side glancing you refer to is known as nystagmus. It can relate to several conditions, which ought to be explored by your vet in depth.

Here are some links to possible causes and solutions:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?439495-twitching-head-and-flickering-eyes

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?114992-Head-twitch

You should think about a 28 day course of Panacur in case of E.C.:

http://www.vetfolio.com/parasitology/encephalitozoon-cuniculi-infection-in-rabbits

http://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-are...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

An ear infection could also be considered:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

I shall see what other info I can get hold of for you xx

Horizontal nystagmus, which you describe, is specifically referred to in this article:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/4-11/ear.html

It explains why a rabbit does this, in the case of ear damage, in order to maintain it's balance

Inner ear damage or infection is referred to here:

http://www.rabbit.org/health/tilt.html

The inner ear controls balance and hearing. Disease can enter this area through the same three pathways as in the middle ear. Signs of disease of the inner ear include deafness, HEAD TILT, LOSS OF BALANCE and horizontal or rotary nystagmus (eye "flipping" or "rolling") which is spontaneous and unrelated to the position of the head. Proprioception (the ability of the rabbit to sense where the feet and legs are) and postural reactions (the ability of the rabbit to try to return to a normal standing position) are normal.

Last edited:
Just to add that you may want to seek out a second opinion from a rabbit savvy vet, as an inner ear infection isn't detectable. She would need an X-ray for that.

If you want to start another thread here, on the Forum, in Rabbit Chat, you could put this in the title:

Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in (your location) ... and members will give you their recommendations

Alternatively you can search here for a recommended vet:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/vets-owners-recommendations

And the RWAF have their own suggestions for finding a good vet:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk

Let me know if I can help you further!

The antibiotic she is on will be crucial to recovery, so I wouldn't wait for long if there's no improvement. Best to deal with is as soon as possible. Keep going with the Metacam as that will not only relieve pain, but reduce inflammation. This is necessary for both conditions - ear infection and E.C. to reduce inflammatory responses in the brain.

If a vet decides it's E.C., then a 28 day course of Panacur can be prescribed :)

Lots of good luck :)

As explained in more detail by MightyMax given these symptoms my vet would treat both for EC and Ear Infection, so anti inflamatories, antibiotics plus 28 days of panacur.

Comet has has nystagmus and severe headtilt twice but has recovered fully both times.

They can feel a bit nausous and offbalance so make sure food and water are in easily accessible places.

I had an ugli bed donut from hareapparent on etsy which he really appreciated as he could lie against it to stead himself - Only trouble is I was unsure wool could be cleaned sufficiently afterwards so chucked it away, but you could probably make something similar cheaper.

Thanks MightyMax and Amy 104 for putting my mind at ease a little, shes had her first antibiotics and painkillers so hoping there will be some improvement by the time she has her second dose of antibiotics. - obviously the key thing is to keep her pooing while this is happening so lots of feeding sessions.
I do actually have a tube of panacur that i bought a few years ago, does it go off if its past its sell by date? Its never been opened, I just thought as they live inside and haven't been in the garden for a while it wasn't necessary?

Thanks MightyMax and Amy 104 for putting my mind at ease a little, shes had her first antibiotics and painkillers so hoping there will be some improvement by the time she has her second dose of antibiotics. - obviously the key thing is to keep her pooing while this is happening so lots of feeding sessions.
I do actually have a tube of panacur that i bought a few years ago, does it go off if its past its sell by date? Its never been opened, I just thought as they live inside and haven't been in the garden for a while it wasn't necessary?

Might be wise to get a bottle of Panacur from the vet, fresh - it's not expensive. You can buy it online, but it's sometimes difficult as it's not licensed for use in rabbits, along with much other stuff :) Your vet can then give you an accurate dose for all your rabbits (if they live together)

You will need a 28 days course and the tubes are only 9 day courses. And if there are two rabbits or more living together, you need to treat both at the same time, as spores pass between them in the urine.

Rabbits are often born with the parasite, and it doesn't affect many of them. Occasionally you will get a rabbit that has issues though.

Sorry about the multiple posts of info :D

Yes, you are good to keep her eating and pooing :thumb:

I didnt realise they are born with the parasite, i thought it was something they picked up. I have 2 living together and one separate but their 'play area' has a communal litter tray in which they all have access to when they are playing out so may be wise to do all 3 as the hope is to have all 3 living together soon anyway.

I will give the vet a call and pick up 3 x 28days worth :) may as well cover all bases if i dont see an improvement in Bailey within 48 hours of first antibiotic dose

Hopefully she will be back to her usual self soon, i was so panicked when i saw her it was like she had had a stroke!

I didnt realise they are born with the parasite, i thought it was something they picked up. I have 2 living together and one separate but their 'play area' has a communal litter tray in which they all have access to when they are playing out so may be wise to do all 3 as the hope is to have all 3 living together soon anyway.

I will give the vet a call and pick up 3 x 28days worth :) may as well cover all bases if i dont see an improvement in Bailey within 48 hours of first antibiotic dose

Hopefully she will be back to her usual self soon, i was so panicked when i saw her it was like she had had a stroke!

Yes, do all three at the same time. I find it an utter pain giving Panacur for 28 days, but when it's needed ....

I know what you mean about the stroke - it's one of the possible diagnoses. Best to eliminate everything else you can and hopefully she will get better soon.

Is she on Baytril?

If the Panacur has exceeded it's Use By date then personally I would not use it. It may not have 'gone off' as such, but the active ingredient (Fenbendazole) may be less effective.

The symptoms you describe may be due to Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC) or to Otitis Media (middle ear infection), so I would definitely give your Rabbit a 28 day course of Panacur as whilst it will not 'cure' EC the active ingredient will reduce the number of EC spores within the bloodstream. The damage is done when EC spores erupt into the tissue of various organs, mainly the kidney, the brain and the lenses of the eyes. It is when this happens that clinical symptoms and longterm cellular damage occurs. Hence it is important to try to reduce the inflammatory response to erupting spores so it's good that the Vet prescribed Metacam, a non steroidal anti-inflammatory. Antibiotic cover is always a good idea in the absence of a definitive diagnosis of EC. All in contact Rabbits will also require a 28 day course of Panacur as EC is spread by spores shed in the urine.

https://www.vets-now.com/pet-care-advice/e-cuniculi-in-rabbits/

*Warning graphic images on the following link*

http://www.exoticpetmedicine.com/article/S1557-5063(16)30173-2/pdf

How many days of medication (Antibiotic/Metacam) did the Vet prescribe and did he/she advise you to bring your Rabbit in again for re-assessment ? Did he/she mention anything about EC ?

If you are on Facebook this group would be very useful to join

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HelpforHeadTiltHoppers/

She said it was unlikely to be EC as she lives indoors and said to give the medicine for 7 days and go back for a follow up if not happy shes back to normal by then

Horizontal nystagmus usually indicates ears rather than EC but it's always a good idea to treat for both.

I've been through this myself with my boy, Hiro. If you are on FB then I'd recommend joining www.facebook.com/groups/helpforheadtilthoppers :)

I would certainly track down your nearest rabbit savvy vet of you haven't already. Where abouts are you? Maybe we can recommend one.

Xx

She said it was unlikely to be EC as she lives indoors and said to give the medicine for 7 days and go back for a follow up if not happy shes back to normal by then

If it is an inner ear infection then Baytril isn't always the best choice. It is weak against anaerobic bacteria and more often than not a different antibiotic is needed. Oral Septrin, Doxycycline or something like injectable Penicillin are some of the better options that you can try.
Antibiotic treatment is usually long and aggressive too. 7 days certainly wouldn't be long enough.
Aaah I see you are in Manchester. If you can get to St Helens then I would make the trip to see Molly Varga at Rutland House :)

Xx

Yes i think so, is Enrobactin a version of Baytril? she also has Loxicom which is similar to Metacam

Yes it is Baytril.

It's likely that if it doesn't work, your vet may decide to change to injectable Pencillin, which is often more effective in cases of ear infection.

It has to be injectable though :)

If it is an inner ear infection then Baytril isn't always the best choice. It is weak against anaerobic bacteria and more often than not a different antibiotic is needed. Oral Septrin, Doxycycline or something like injectable Penicillin are some of the better options that you can try.
Antibiotic treatment is usually long and aggressive too. 7 days certainly wouldn't be long enough.
Aaah I see you are in Manchester. If you can get to St Helens then I would make the trip to see Molly Varga at Rutland House :)

Xx

I'm guessing the vet means a review after 7 days, and then see where to go from there?
Not a course just lasting 7 days ......

they didnt actually give me an end date to stop using antibiotics, i guess untill shes better? the review is in 7 days

they didnt actually give me an end date to stop using antibiotics, i guess untill shes better? the review is in 7 days

Yes, that's usually the case :)

Roxy has loads of experience (sadly) of this, but I have heard that in *some* cases Baytril will work for this condition, so we can't rule out that possibility yet.

Back