• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP!! Poorly Bunny with eyes constantly scanning left to right and off balance

Yes, that's usually the case :)

Roxy has loads of experience (sadly) of this, but I have heard that in *some* cases Baytril will work for this condition, so we can't rule out that possibility yet.

Yes, generally speaking we don't see many great results from Baytril but that doesn't mean they don't happen.
Some people choose to give a combo too to cover all bases.

I think the best thing to do would be to see a rabbit savvy vet and see what they say :)

Xx

Don't they have to try Baytril first under the cascade system?

It worked for us but as we treated both I cannot coment on which treatment was the effective one.

Yes, generally speaking we don't see many great results from Baytril but that doesn't mean they don't happen.

I think the best thing to do would be to see a rabbit savvy vet and see what they say :)

Xx

:thumb:

Morse's ear infection responded well to a combination of Baytril and Depocillin xx

Don't they have to try Baytril first under the cascade system?

It worked for us but as we treated both I cannot coment on which treatment was the effective one.

Not at all Amy. Recently I was at the vet and I was actually given a choice of which antibiotic I thought would work best for the condition my rabbit had. It's using the best one rather than in any particular order :)

Xx

I agree :D

I've had a rabbit where Baytril was given alongside injectable penicillin :)

A Vet can prescribe 'off licence' staright away if an individual case merits it according to the Vet's Professional judgement based on his/her clinical findings

That's good to know.

If you did want to see Molly at Rutland House then she is in on Mondays, Thursday's and Fridays :) I couldn't recommend her more and she did a great job in helping my boy.
Xxx

My bunny had inner ear infection causing head tilt and balance issue. He responded very well to depocillian injections. Also for the balance issues alot of people have uses meclizine which is an anti travel sickness medication for humans goes under the name Bonine. My vet told me to use Diphenhydramine which is over the counter Nytol. Ask your vet about these 2 meds for your bun but you defo need to see a very rabbit savy vet ASAP.

Update on bailey: she's not really moving her head much now and her eyes are staying straight but she can't really stand up or walk she looks drunk!
Nickybunny1 I like the idea of the travel sickness medicine to help with balance issues. Like Infacol for wind which I find very effective.
Lots of poo still which is a good start

There is only one website that you can get Meclizine from in the UK but you can get something called Stemetil which has a similar effect :) You can get a prescription from your vet.
Try putting her in a smaller area and make sure she can get good traction. Avoid slippy floors etc. You can also roll up towels and blankets and place them around the enclosure to act as bumpers.
Xxx

Update on bailey: she's not really moving her head much now and her eyes are staying straight but she can't really stand up or walk she looks drunk!
Nickybunny1 I like the idea of the travel sickness medicine to help with balance issues. Like Infacol for wind which I find very effective.
Lots of poo still which is a good start

Sorry to hear this :(

It's a moot point as to whether rabbits feel nausea or not, since they can't actually be sick.

Roxy - it's a shame you can't buy Sea Legs over the counter as you used to be able to.

I definitely think you should get a through assessment by a rabbit savvy vet and not leave this too long.

Apologies if you've already done that xx

Sorry to hear this :(

It's a moot point as to whether rabbits feel nausea or not, since they can't actually be sick.

Roxy - it's a shame you can't buy Sea Legs over the counter as you used to be able to.

I definitely think you should get a through assessment by a rabbit savvy vet and not leave this too long.

Apologies if you've already done that xx

It would definitely make life easier.
This is the site where you can get Meclizine in the UK but I'd speak to your vet first regarding Stemetil.
http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Survival-Accessories-Bonine-Motion-Sickness-Tablets+9032A

How much and how often should a rabbit be force fed critical care. She's pooping nicely and occasionally eats some hay and greens but want to make sure it stays that way.
Not been to a rabbit savvy vet yet as there is some improvement to her condition from this morning. Going to keep monitoring her for the next couple of hours

I usually aim for 10-15ml every 2-3 hours in a Rabbit that isn't eating. Considering that she is still eating for herself then you can probably do quite a lot less. I'd encourage her to eat as much as possible herself and then supplement as you see fit :)

How much and how often should a rabbit be force fed critical care. She's pooping nicely and occasionally eats some hay and greens but want to make sure it stays that way.
Not been to a rabbit savvy vet yet as there is some improvement to her condition from this morning. Going to keep monitoring her for the next couple of hours

I kind of let myself be guided by the rabbit. I also use an organic baby food to mix in with the critical care to make it more appealing. Any organic baby food, fruits or veggies is good.

This is my bunnies' current favourite

https://shop.ellaskitchen.co.uk/products/blueberries-apples-bananas-vanilla

I have known them guzzle up 40ml at a sitting, but I tend not to force unless they really aren't eating on their own :)

I've never thought of putting something else with the critical care. Bailey doesn't tend to fight too much but that's a good idea. I know where I'm going tomorrow!

Back