• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

using sawdust in vages and littertray , please read

Bob - I have found a farm in Silverstone that stocks it so I am planning a trip there over the weekend (it's only about 2 miles from where I live) - this farm also runs a riding school so it is open over the weekend and quite late in the evenings. A shop in MK would be ideal though if you do go down that line - it would be easier to nip out from work and get some.

Towsbuns said:
Bob - I have found a farm in Silverstone that stocks it so I am planning a trip there over the weekend (it's only about 2 miles from where I live) - this farm also runs a riding school so it is open over the weekend and quite late in the evenings. A shop in MK would be ideal though if you do go down that line - it would be easier to nip out from work and get some.

LOL Share!! :) I work at Buckingham (occasionally ;-)) Can you forward details when you have a min?

Ooooh I'm glad you guys have mentioned this Megazorb stuff because I am looking to use an alternative litter. For years I've always used a good layer of newspaper covered in straw to line my rabbits hutches, but it can lead to quite a lot of waste to dispose of, especially when you have more than one hutch to clean out.
Recently our council implemented a new waste collection service whereby wheelie bins get emptied once every TWO weeks! We virtually struggle to get rid of our household waste so I've no room for pet waste aswell. Therefore for the past five weeks I've been using shavings as a trial to see whether it creates less waste. It's convienient in the fact that soiled piles can be easily removed daily, and given that my buns are litter trained, emptying the tray is a piece of cake! The only bugbear with shavings is that they blow all over the place and it gets walked into my house :?
As I said before I would never use it on rats as I have read and seen how they suffer on it. Sniffles, runny eyes and noisy breathing now how unfair is that? I did think long and hard before placing my buns on it, but then I thought exactly what Bob thought, rabbits have been kept on the stuff for years! and also my buns are only placed on it at night in the hutch and when they need to go to the loo! Also my buns are housed outside in the fresh air whereas my rats are inside the house.
Anyway, I just took a look at this site http://www.megazorb.co.uk and it says it's safe for rats aswell as rabbits. I hope this is true because it would be better for me to use one product in all my cages. I use a paperbased cat litter for my rats and I've just been told that because Morrisons have taken over Safeway, I wont be able to buy it anymore. Typical!
Now, all I have to do is find out where I can buy it from! lol

I changed from wood shavings to megazorb a few months back and what I did notice was the persistant runny eye that Bambi had that I was starting to worry about cleared up straight away. I think it was probably because he likes to dig in his litter tray and was probably getting wood dust in his eyes.

Just for information - inhalation of wood dust over a long period of time can cause occupational asthma in humans and inhalation of colophony (extracted from tree rosin) during soldering can also cause occupational asthma in humans

sunshine said:
I changed from wood shavings to megazorb a few months back and what I did notice was the persistant runny eye that Bambi had that I was starting to worry about cleared up straight away. I think it was probably because he likes to dig in his litter tray and was probably getting wood dust in his eyes.

Just for information - inhalation of wood dust over a long period of time can cause occupational asthma in humans and inhalation of colophony (extracted from tree rosin) during soldering can also cause occupational asthma in humans

Could you perhaps provide the reference for that article?

sunshine said:
Hi Bob

http://www.hse.gov.uk/asthma/maincauses.htm

The above is just one reference to causes of occupational asthma. The job I do involves the measurement of harmful chemicals in the workplace and wood dust and colophony are two of many

Anne, sorry that I had to question you!, and thanks for the link. I am not sure that it has a direct baring on this topic however regarding actually proving anything conclusive regarding rabbits and shavings but I do see where you are coming from!

Thier is a comment in that report relating to all sorts of dust from all sorts of wood. I agree though - breathing wood dust is not a clever idea!

luvabun said:
Isn't this just referrring to the scented shavings i.e. pine, lemon, lavender etc.? Years ago, one of my gerbils died and I was told that it could have been caused by the pine scented shavings but that regular, unscented ones were fine.

I do know you shouldn't keep small critters such as Gerbils, Rats etc on shavings as they breathe in the dust and it causes them to have respiratory conditions.

As a child I kept my Rabbits on wood shavings for years. I NEVER had a problem and I would continue to use it if I had outdoor Rabbit’s again.

Its sawdust you need to be careful off as the Rabbits breathe in small particles and get it in there eyes/ears.

Louise

[quote="ellepotter I do know you shouldn't keep small critters such as Gerbils, Rats etc on shavings as they breathe in the dust and it causes them to have respiratory conditions.

As a child I kept my Rabbits on wood shavings for years. I NEVER had a problem and I would continue to use it if I had outdoor Rabbit’s again.

Its sawdust you need to be careful off as the Rabbits breathe in small particles and get it in there eyes/ears.

Louise[/quote]

Oooh Errr - I agree fully with your comments! Now surely this cannot be right ROFL. Perhaps I need to take a pill!

Seriously tho, well said! It probably sums up the opinions and experiences of thousands of rabbit keepers who have kept rabbits on shavings without any problems!

I used to keep rabbits on woodshavings as well without any trouble.

Nowadays I only use it for my litter trays, I had to stop using it in the Guinea Pig and Rat cage's as they both developed an allergy to it

hi all at the moment i am using wood shavings for smudge and it says pine fresh on the label :? :?

is this ok as after reading about the respiratory problems i am really worried and don't want to harm my rabbit is there an alternative to use :cry: :cry:

many thanks jamie

Smudge said:
hi all at the moment i am using wood shavings for smudge and it says pine fresh on the label :? :?

is this ok as after reading about the respiratory problems i am really worried and don't want to harm my rabbit is there an alternative to use :cry: :cry:

many thanks jamie

Hi Jamie , I use woodshavings and then i put a layer of hay on top :D some use newspaper then hay on top.... some use megazorb...

personally I have been told its fine , after all this stuff is made for rabbit use! I just wouldnt use the scented stuff ( like lavender or those kinds ones you can get !)

but thats just me :D

I want a pint of whatever Mubbies Mum and Dad are on! (Just noticed the Holloween pics)

Actually make that a short - even I could not cope with that much madness!

PS Smudge is a crackin Bun!

Bob said:
I want a pint of whatever Mubbies Mum and Dad are on! (Just noticed the Holloween pics)

Actually make that a short - even I could not cope with that much madness!

PS Smudge is a crackin Bun!

All down to me Bob :D Mubbys dad never comes on here! :lol:

he knows just what im like!! :lol: :D

Back