• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My wee Max choked on a Pellet last night!!

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
I now have a happy trio of buns. They don't have the full room yet, they have about half of it, increasing the space gradually.

I just scatter feed the pellets, but Max seems to get super excited and tries to eat quickly. Well last night he started choking, then bubbles were coming out of his nose. I freaked out and shouted on my OH and picked him up and started doing my best attempt at the bunny Heimlich Manouvre. He was freaking out and his breathing was really bad. I got my finger in his mouth but couldn't feel anything there.

Eventually he seemed to calm down a wee bit, but he was sounding like something was still lodged in his throat. His mouth and nose were soaking with saliva. I grabbed the trio and got them into the carrier and me and the OH rushed to the Emergency Vet. He was a wee bit more settled, but still laboured breathing. She checked him out but couldn't see anything in his mouth or nose. I wiped his nose and it was brown as if it was part of a dissolved pellet. He got some Metacam & Baytril and I took him home...£170 lighter!

He seemed OK this morning, but man they scare ye!

oh my ..that sounds petrifying. Glad he is doing good now. Hows the trio behaving since they got to yours? You know its mean not to share trio pics ;)

oh my ..that sounds petrifying. Glad he is doing good now. Hows the trio behaving since they got to yours? You know its mean not to share trio pics ;)

Pics....I need to work out how to do that now there is no photobucket!
They are getting on well. Max keeps humping Charlie, but she actually couldn't care less, lol, she just walks away as if she is saying 'what the hell are you doing'/

Oh goodness, how frightening. So pleased that he's making a good recovery though. What make of pellet was it? I don't know how to do a bunny heimlich manoeuvre so going to look it up now. Hugs to you and nose rubs to Max x

I now have a happy trio of buns. They don't have the full room yet, they have about half of it, increasing the space gradually.

I just scatter feed the pellets, but Max seems to get super excited and tries to eat quickly. Well last night he started choking, then bubbles were coming out of his nose. I freaked out and shouted on my OH and picked him up and started doing my best attempt at the bunny Heimlich Manouvre. He was freaking out and his breathing was really bad. I got my finger in his mouth but couldn't feel anything there.

Eventually he seemed to calm down a wee bit, but he was sounding like something was still lodged in his throat. His mouth and nose were soaking with saliva. I grabbed the trio and got them into the carrier and me and the OH rushed to the Emergency Vet. He was a wee bit more settled, but still laboured breathing. She checked him out but couldn't see anything in his mouth or nose. I wiped his nose and it was brown as if it was part of a dissolved pellet. He got some Metacam & Baytril and I took him home...£170 lighter!

Goodness Kermit, that's awful!

Not to scare you, but please keep a close eye on Max for a couple of days. I am sure you will :)

This kind of thing is scary, for sure, but you acted quickly and hopefully no harm done to the wee boy xxx Hugs xxx

Oh goodness, how frightening. So pleased that he's making a good recovery though. What make of pellet was it? I don't know how to do a bunny heimlich manoeuvre so going to look it up now. Hugs to you and nose rubs to Max x

Thanks. It was a mix of Science Selective and Asda Pellets as thats what he used to get at home and I am weaning him off them, so I couldn't say which one was the cause. I just hand fed him a few pellets this morning so he never got so excited about the food.

Pics....I need to work out how to do that now there is no photobucket!
They are getting on well. Max keeps humping Charlie, but she actually couldn't care less, lol, she just walks away as if she is saying 'what the hell are you doing'/

:lol: thats exactly how my girls respond to Joeys humping attempts

Pleased they are doing good - I bet you'll love having a trio. its so interesting watching the dynamics. For photos I switched to Imgur - couldn't be easier to use. My only issue is what photo size to choose - I think huge thumb nail is good for bunny pics - nice n big but you don't have to scroll to see it all

Goodness Kermit, that's awful!

Not to scare you, but please keep a close eye on Max for a couple of days. I am sure you will :)

This kind of thing is scary, for sure, but you acted quickly and hopefully no harm done to the wee boy xxx Hugs xxx

Yip, deffo. Well I am at work today but have my mum & aunt going in to see him.

Pleased they are doing good - I bet you'll love having a trio. its so interesting watching the dynamics. For photos I switched to Imgur - couldn't be easier to use. My only issue is what photo size to choose - I think huge thumb nail is good for bunny pics - nice n big but you don't have to scroll to see it all

Thanks, I will check it out. Never had a humping bunny before, its strange!

Ah a trio :love::love::love:

Seeing a Bunny choke is terrifying isn't it :cry: You did exactly the right thing by getting Max to the Vet and it's good that he has been put on a covering abx to try to ward off any infection/aspiration pneumonia.

Was the pellet Science Selective by any chance ?

This was my Hal after he choked on an SS pellet, thankfully he made a complete recovery

Having had 3 Rabbits do the same thing I will never feed SS pellets again. This thread shows that many other folk have had similar problems

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-Experienced-a-Choking-Rabbit&highlight=choke

I have used SS for ages with my bunnies. Max usually gets asda own make pellets. I had been doing a mix of both, so could have been either, but looking like SS is a culprit of this in the past!

Is it because they are too big? Am I better with a smaller pellet?

Max had discharge like your Hal, but not just as much. He was more wet than that.

Yip, the vets said that the baytril injection would be for that exact thing, but I never got any away with me. Is this something that I need?

I have used SS for ages with my bunnies. Max usually gets asda own make pellets. I had been doing a mix of both, so could have been either, but looking like SS is a culprit of this in the past!

Max had discharge like your Hal, but not just as much. He was more wet than that.

Yip, the vets said that the baytril injection would be for that exact thing, but I never got any away with me. Is this something that I need?

I'd run that one by the Vet, he/she may want to have another listen to Max's lungs today.

I dont know why SS seem to be the main culprits re choking. I tried to get into a polite dialogue with the Manufacturers but frankly they were not interested. That was another reason I have boycotted the product ever since !! All but one of my Rabbits are on a pellet free diet and the only one that isn't (she's very elderly and struggles to maintain her weight) is on Fibafirst.

To be fair, a piggy rabbit will choke on anything .. One of mine choked (horrific) on Oxbow basics and they are minuscule :)

I didn't want to scare you by mentioning what might be the outcome, which was why I discreetly said 'keep an eye', so I am glad your vet has enlightened you :)

In our case, we had extended Baytril, and a check up within 5 days.

Good luck xx

Got the wee man a vets appointment tonight at 6.10pm to check him over and get antibiotics if needed.

Hope lovely Max will be okay and his trip to the vet goes smoothly.

re: photos, I'm another convertee to imgur now. I prefer it to what photobucket was like even prior to the new paywall.

I'm also glad you have a happy trio, they are just magical. :love:

How frightening, both for you and your bunny. Hope he goes on ok now. I've never had this happen with a bun, but my cat George (a real piggy) once choked on a small cat nugget (think they call them kibbles ?) I just grabbed him, laid him over my knee, head down, and tapped him between the shoulders. Thank goodness it worked, I was a real mess afterwards.
Pity SS can't modify the size of their nuggets isn't it ?
Hope vet visit went well.

Back