Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: My wee Max choked on a Pellet last night!!

  1. #1
    Wise Old Thumper Kermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hamilton, Scotland
    Posts
    20,929

    Default My wee Max choked on a Pellet last night!!

    I now have a happy trio of buns. They don't have the full room yet, they have about half of it, increasing the space gradually.

    I just scatter feed the pellets, but Max seems to get super excited and tries to eat quickly. Well last night he started choking, then bubbles were coming out of his nose. I freaked out and shouted on my OH and picked him up and started doing my best attempt at the bunny Heimlich Manouvre. He was freaking out and his breathing was really bad. I got my finger in his mouth but couldn't feel anything there.

    Eventually he seemed to calm down a wee bit, but he was sounding like something was still lodged in his throat. His mouth and nose were soaking with saliva. I grabbed the trio and got them into the carrier and me and the OH rushed to the Emergency Vet. He was a wee bit more settled, but still laboured breathing. She checked him out but couldn't see anything in his mouth or nose. I wiped his nose and it was brown as if it was part of a dissolved pellet. He got some Metacam & Baytril and I took him home...170 lighter!

    He seemed OK this morning, but man they scare ye!

    My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today.

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    21,614

    Default

    oh my ..that sounds petrifying. Glad he is doing good now. Hows the trio behaving since they got to yours? You know its mean not to share trio pics

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper Kermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hamilton, Scotland
    Posts
    20,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    oh my ..that sounds petrifying. Glad he is doing good now. Hows the trio behaving since they got to yours? You know its mean not to share trio pics
    Pics....I need to work out how to do that now there is no photobucket!
    They are getting on well. Max keeps humping Charlie, but she actually couldn't care less, lol, she just walks away as if she is saying 'what the hell are you doing'/

    My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today.

  4. #4
    Forum Buddy Glingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    9,339

    Default

    Oh goodness, how frightening. So pleased that he's making a good recovery though. What make of pellet was it? I don't know how to do a bunny heimlich manoeuvre so going to look it up now. Hugs to you and nose rubs to Max x

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    44,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    I now have a happy trio of buns. They don't have the full room yet, they have about half of it, increasing the space gradually.

    I just scatter feed the pellets, but Max seems to get super excited and tries to eat quickly. Well last night he started choking, then bubbles were coming out of his nose. I freaked out and shouted on my OH and picked him up and started doing my best attempt at the bunny Heimlich Manouvre. He was freaking out and his breathing was really bad. I got my finger in his mouth but couldn't feel anything there.

    Eventually he seemed to calm down a wee bit, but he was sounding like something was still lodged in his throat. His mouth and nose were soaking with saliva. I grabbed the trio and got them into the carrier and me and the OH rushed to the Emergency Vet. He was a wee bit more settled, but still laboured breathing. She checked him out but couldn't see anything in his mouth or nose. I wiped his nose and it was brown as if it was part of a dissolved pellet. He got some Metacam & Baytril and I took him home...170 lighter!

    He seemed OK this morning, but man they scare ye!

    Goodness Kermit, that's awful!

    Not to scare you, but please keep a close eye on Max for a couple of days. I am sure you will

    This kind of thing is scary, for sure, but you acted quickly and hopefully no harm done to the wee boy xxx Hugs xxx

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper Kermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hamilton, Scotland
    Posts
    20,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glingle View Post
    Oh goodness, how frightening. So pleased that he's making a good recovery though. What make of pellet was it? I don't know how to do a bunny heimlich manoeuvre so going to look it up now. Hugs to you and nose rubs to Max x
    Thanks. It was a mix of Science Selective and Asda Pellets as thats what he used to get at home and I am weaning him off them, so I couldn't say which one was the cause. I just hand fed him a few pellets this morning so he never got so excited about the food.

    My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today.

  7. #7
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    21,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Pics....I need to work out how to do that now there is no photobucket!
    They are getting on well. Max keeps humping Charlie, but she actually couldn't care less, lol, she just walks away as if she is saying 'what the hell are you doing'/
    thats exactly how my girls respond to Joeys humping attempts

    Pleased they are doing good - I bet you'll love having a trio. its so interesting watching the dynamics. For photos I switched to Imgur - couldn't be easier to use. My only issue is what photo size to choose - I think huge thumb nail is good for bunny pics - nice n big but you don't have to scroll to see it all

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper Kermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hamilton, Scotland
    Posts
    20,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Goodness Kermit, that's awful!

    Not to scare you, but please keep a close eye on Max for a couple of days. I am sure you will

    This kind of thing is scary, for sure, but you acted quickly and hopefully no harm done to the wee boy xxx Hugs xxx
    Yip, deffo. Well I am at work today but have my mum & aunt going in to see him.

    My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today.

  9. #9
    Wise Old Thumper Kermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hamilton, Scotland
    Posts
    20,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    thats exactly how my girls respond to Joeys humping attempts

    Pleased they are doing good - I bet you'll love having a trio. its so interesting watching the dynamics. For photos I switched to Imgur - couldn't be easier to use. My only issue is what photo size to choose - I think huge thumb nail is good for bunny pics - nice n big but you don't have to scroll to see it all
    Thanks, I will check it out. Never had a humping bunny before, its strange!

    My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    44,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    thats exactly how my girls respond to Joeys humping attempts

    Pleased they are doing good - I bet you'll love having a trio. its so interesting watching the dynamics. For photos I switched to Imgur - couldn't be easier to use. My only issue is what photo size to choose - I think huge thumb nail is good for bunny pics - nice n big but you don't have to scroll to see it all

    Ah a trio

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •