• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something not right with front paw but doesn't seem to be a break? - Solved

She's booked in for this afternoon so I'll see what they want to do. I suspect they may have to remove it - not sure how they're going to do that yet. Poor girl's in a lot of pain with it. She's keeping it tucked in and absolutely will not let you touch it, so I can't have a look at it today to see how it is. Hopefully it's not infected. I can tell she's in a lot of pain and the metacam in all honesty hasn't done anything so suspect she either needs a stronger dose or a stronger painkiller. It's just starting to make her reluctant to eat. She's eating but slowly and kind of picking. Thankfully I'm seeing my normal vet and she's very good at making sure they have adequate painkillers (usually gives me more than they need just in case).
She's being a bit grumpy with me if I even go near it but came up to me for a while and flopped onto the side of my leg. She seems to need a fuss. I feel awful for her, I've never seen her in so much pain :(

She's booked in for this afternoon so I'll see what they want to do. I suspect they may have to remove it - not sure how they're going to do that yet. Poor girl's in a lot of pain with it. She's keeping it tucked in and absolutely will not let you touch it, so I can't have a look at it today to see how it is. Hopefully it's not infected. I can tell she's in a lot of pain and the metacam in all honesty hasn't done anything so suspect she either needs a stronger dose or a stronger painkiller. It's just starting to make her reluctant to eat. She's eating but slowly and kind of picking. Thankfully I'm seeing my normal vet and she's very good at making sure they have adequate painkillers (usually gives me more than they need just in case).
She's being a bit grumpy with me if I even go near it but came up to me for a while and flopped onto the side of my leg. She seems to need a fuss. I feel awful for her, I've never seen her in so much pain :(

Her actual toe may be bruised too which could account for the pain. Hopefully this will improve when the Vet prescribes additional analgesia x

brilliant detective work by you - I think you've done well given the not so little obstacle of her not wanting her feet touched. I hope the appointment goes well

Got back about half an hour ago, the vet managed to clip it quite quickly (can't believe that as she wouldn't let me touch it at all!) and it didn't even bleed so wasn't as bad as I thought. Think it had already clotted off. Obivously it was causing her a lot of pain.
She hasn't given any metacam as she thinks now the source of pain is gone she should be okay. I'm a little worried as she was in so much pain earlier but maybe she's right. She told me to phone if I felt she needed it and they'd give it straight to me. I'm a bit worried about it but maybe she's right and she'll be okay. At the moment she's stressed out from it all so I'm leaving her alone, but I'm worried that so far she hasn't eaten since she's been back and I've offered things she likes. It could be the stress, but it could also be pain. If she ends up in really bad pain and the vet has already clsoed I do have some left over metacam from Pixel about three months ago, I think it's good for six months isn't it? But I'd rather get a new bottle if she needs it. They close at 7 so I still have time but it's difficult to work out if she's just stressed or in pain at the moment

Edit: I've offered her some fresh basil and she's turned it down, but did eventually have a very small amount of dried ribwort

Last edited:
Got back about half an hour ago, the vet managed to clip it quite quickly (can't believe that as she wouldn't let me touch it at all!) and it didn't even bleed so wasn't as bad as I thought. Think it had already clotted off. Obivously it was causing her a lot of pain.
She hasn't given any metacam as she thinks now the source of pain is gone she should be okay. I'm a little worried as she was in so much pain earlier but maybe she's right. She told me to phone if I felt she needed it and they'd give it straight to me. I'm a bit worried about it but maybe she's right and she'll be okay. At the moment she's stressed out from it all so I'm leaving her alone, but I'm worried that so far she hasn't eaten since she's been back and I've offered things she likes. It could be the stress, but it could also be pain. If she ends up in really bad pain and the vet has already clsoed I do have some left over metacam from Pixel about three months ago, I think it's good for six months isn't it? But I'd rather get a new bottle if she needs it. They close at 7 so I still have time but it's difficult to work out if she's just stressed or in pain at the moment

Hi there :wave:

I'm glad you've seen the vet, but rather surprised he's given you no pain relief. As you say, though, you can ring up and get some.

What time did she go to the vet? How long has she not been eating?

You can ring the surgery and get a dosage and use your existing Metacam.
My vet swears that Metacam 18 months out of date is also viable :D

Yeah, I'm quite tempted to. The injection she got yesterday should last until around 7.30 as it was supposed to last 24hrs. I'm going to give it until about six and see how she is.
Her appointment was at four, I'm guessing we got home around 4.30? I hadn't seen her eat since then until a minute ago, she had a tiny bit of dried ribwort. But she'd turned down pellets and fresh basil so I'm being a bit cautious at the moment.
I'll see how she is by six and I may ring if it looks like she needs it, but good to have the old one as backup. I always keep leftover metacam in case :p

Edit: Should mention that she'd been a bit off food this afternoon before the appointment too. She's eaten, just in small amounts and a bit picky about it

Yeah, I'm quite tempted to. The injection she got yesterday should last until around 7.30 as it was supposed to last 24hrs. I'm going to give it until about six and see how she is.
Her appointment was at four, I'm guessing we got home around 4.30? I hadn't seen her eat since then until a minute ago, she had a tiny bit of dried ribwort. But she'd turned down pellets and fresh basil so I'm being a bit cautious at the moment.
I'll see how she is by six and I may ring if it looks like she needs it, but good to have the old one as backup. I always keep leftover metacam in case :p

Edit: Should mention that she's been a bit off food this afternoon before the appointment too. She's eaten, just in small amounts and a bit picky about it

Yes I think that's a good plan. She's not going to be happy about being fiddled with. I wouldn't be :shock:

Any more treats you can offer her, as a consolation prize and to get her stomach juices going again? Pinch of oats? Something naughty? (Shh ...I don't want to get shot down :lol:)

Any more treats you can offer her, as a consolation prize and to get her stomach juices going again? Pinch of oats? Something naughty? (Shh ...I don't want to get shot down :lol:)
Oh, you don't want to know the naughty things Willow used to get! I daren't say on here but believe me, there's nothing she would turn down :lol: I try not to do that so much with this lot. Try.
I've just picked and washed (yes washed, call me paranoid :p) some fresh grass. She sniffed it and had a couple of blades then ignored it. She went over afterwards and had some dried ribwort again. Not a lot but it's something.
She's gone back to the corner and she's just sitting there again. I feel awful for her :( She has had a stressful day, maybe she just needs some time to rest

Oh, you don't want to know the naughty things Willow used to get! I daren't say on here but believe me, there's nothing she would turn down :lol: I try not to do that so much with this lot. Try.
I've just picked and washed (yes washed, call me paranoid :p) some fresh grass. She sniffed it and had a couple of blades then ignored it. She went over afterwards and had some dried ribwort again. Not a lot but it's something.
She's gone back to the corner and she's just sitting there again. I feel awful for her :( She has had a stressful day, maybe she just needs some time to rest

Because they are such stressful little beings, it's so very hard to know whether they are in pain, or just very stressed and can't eat. I know some people eat when they are stressed, but I absolutely can't, so I understand where they are coming from!

I had to have an in-out surgical procedure this afternoon, and I know all about going off your food. Or at least not wanting what you thought you were going to have for your dinner :lol:

I know. She's had a fear of the vet ever since she flushed her tear ducts. She wasn't too bad before that but ever since then she's taken a real dislike to her! She gave her a good thump today as soon as she was safely back in her carrier :roll:
She's picked at the grass a little but still off her food. I'll see how she goes tonight. If she's not eating by tomorrow she'll go straight back up the vet but I've got a feeling she might once she's had some time to setlle. She was purring away just now when my brother stroked her. I have a feeling it's more stress than pain, though it's definitely hurting (not that that's surprising!) so I may give her a little metacam just in case.
I'll watch it doesn't get infected but hopefully she'll start feeling better now. So glad it wasn't something more serious, I was really worried she'd broken something in her paw. They have such delicate bones, sometimes I'm scared to touch them at all.

I'm so sorry to hear you had to have surgery today! I really hope you feel better!

I know. She's had a fear of the vet ever since she flushed her tear ducts. She wasn't too bad before that but ever since then she's taken a real dislike to her! She gave her a good thump today as soon as she was safely back in her carrier :roll:
She's picked at the grass a little but still off her food. I'll see how she goes tonight. If she's not eating by tomorrow she'll go straight back up the vet but I've got a feeling she might once she's had some time to setlle. She was purring away just now when my brother stroked her. I have a feeling it's more stress than pain, though it's definitely hurting (not that that's surprising!) so I may give her a little metacam just in case.
I'll watch it doesn't get infected but hopefully she'll start feeling better now. So glad it wasn't something more serious, I was really worried she'd broken something in her paw. They have such delicate bones, sometimes I'm scared to touch them at all.

I'm so sorry to hear you had to have surgery today! I really hope you feel better!

Aww that's really kind of you!

And thank you so much for your wonderful PM - it made me feel a million dollars xxx

Vibes for your little one. I hope she begins to munch this evening and put you out of your misery xx

My rabbit Lucy had a broken nail once, she was also keeping her front paw tucked underneath her. Our vet also removed the broken nail and gave no painkiller at all, she was fine after that and nail healed nicely. But if your rabbit is not eating then of course you should take her to a vet, there might be an infection setting in. Hope your rabbit gets better soon [emoji4]

Išsiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

Glad to report she's now had most of her grass and some dried forage. She's also left me quite a few 'gifts' in the litter tray :shock:
Still quiet but I think she'll be okay now :D
Thank you all so much for your help!

Back