• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training help

Graciee

Staff member
So my female rabbit has a bit of a tough time, she lost the ability to walk (both back legs stopped working) was peeing and pooping on herself as she really couldn't move - I kept her clean of course but this went on for weeks - she finally had her operation on both legs and then had to be kept in a tiny cage where she couldn't really hop around it was just big enough for her to stretch out to sleep (she was in this for around 6 weeks) so she was just going where she stood again (also changed her every few hours and kept her clean) now she's finally out of confinement! :D but obviously poos and wees everywhere still haha - so basically is there anything I can do to make her start using the litter tray again? I've tried different litter, topping it with hay/not doing that - moving poops into the tray etc, but nothing seems to help. So hoping someone might have some suggestions, ideas? Anything and everything welcome haha thanks :) x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I would get a litter tray with a lower side on it , I use a gardening tray , I bought it online, and it makes it easier for bun to hop in and out of:wave:

Ah I have a litter tray which she hops in and out of fine, she gets around like a normal bunny now :) she has just lost the instinct to go in one place and sleep in another unfortunately :( thanks for the idea though :) x

I wonder it could also be her age (becoming more hormonal) and her marking territory now that she is allowed the space again?

Is it just in a cage that she is toileting everywhere? Is the rest of the cage now free of bedding?

I don't think it's that, she was doing this in the smaller cage because she had to, now she has more space she's just going everywhere still. She has her bed on one side and then some space in the middle and a litter tray at the far end. She just goes where she's standing and then lies down in it because this is all she's been able to do for the last few months :( x

You were using vet bed for her before, weren't you? Does she still have that in the cage?
Is your other rabbit housed near her?

Yea still on vetbed as her legs still don't have fur but she does have lots of hay etc, no bunnies housed near :) the boy is now outside in the huge hutch I bought for them both and another younger bunny is in a different room :)

Back