Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally made progress on the shed (picture heavy)

Warren Scout

Default Finally made progress on the shed (picture heavy)

When you last saw the shed it looked like this:

Now, the wood treatment is complete (Lakeland paints totally chewable and waterproof), the balcony is on and I've secured wire to the bottom to deter rodents from going underneath.

The inside is almost finished. It has a ramp going up on the left and all the way round to the balcony on the right.

Warren Scout

I've added a little day hutch to the far left corner, which has been painted, reinforced and had lino added to the internal floor. I added a bunny tunnel entrance so make it more secure inside.

There is also a tunnel going out of the back and into a hole in the wall of the shed. I want to join this to their run area eventually so that they have a back door exit but it's currently just acting as a window.

The far right corner has a large litter tray from Smart Cat.

I've attached it to the wall with brackets to stop them moving it around, to do this I had to make holes in the little tray with an electric drill and jigsaw.

Warren Scout

You can see I've added steel strips to the chewable edges to try to make the shed last longer. They're from Screwfix and they weren't cheap but they were handy as I could bend and break them as required.

A shelf on the left is holding up the normal bunny stuff. I was a bit paranoid about it falling down and used three brackets plus I added a little lip so things are less likely to fall off.

There's an old horse rack next to it for the hay etc.

It was much heavier than I expected so as well as screwing it into the wall, I added an upright piece of wood to support it and screwed that into the bottom of the ramp.

Warren Scout

I let the rabbits into the shed a few days ago and discovered three problems.

- The ramp is too slippery for them, they were alarmed by it and I need to add roofing felt to it I think. Not sure whether to remove the wooden struts. Are they uncomfortable for hocks?

- They are only little rabbits and they wanted to jump onto the day hutch but it was a bit too tall! I'm going to make a little shelf to go next to it.

- The front right corner isn't working. The end of the ramp is too near the edge of the hutch and the entrance hole is too high off the ground, one bunny couldn't manage it without a leg up. I'm planning to resolve this by shortening the ramp and adding a little table type thing at the end to raise the height of the ground in that corner.

This is my attempt at stopping the rabbits running out when the door is opened. The top right part is on hinges. Woodworking is not one of my skills (the shed was bought)!

I did say it would be photo heavy!

Wise Old Thumper

Crikey, you have been busy !! It looks to be a very professional job.

Re the ramp, I'd probably not use roofing felt on it as Bunnies will chew that. I know of a case where one Bunny made himself very poorly by doing so, he had to have gut surgery. What about using non slip safety flooring ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
    I let the rabbits into the shed a few days ago and discovered three problems.

- The ramp is too slippery for them, they were alarmed by it and I need to add roofing felt to it I think. Not sure whether to remove the wooden struts. Are they uncomfortable for hocks?

- They are only little rabbits and they wanted to jump onto the day hutch but it was a bit too tall! I'm going to make a little shelf to go next to it.

- The front right corner isn't working. The end of the ramp is too near the edge of the hutch and the entrance hole is too high off the ground, one bunny couldn't manage it without a leg up. I'm planning to resolve this by shortening the ramp and adding a little table type thing at the end to raise the height of the ground in that corner.

I did say it would be photo heavy!

Your photos are amazing, and I love all the work you've done!

I personally wouldn't put roofing felt down, but you could attach pieces of carpet, or else this kind of thing?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/t...la%7C%7C%7C%7C

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Home-So...g+non+slip+mat

I got loads of this at the Pound shop, and it's great for bunnies who aren't confident going up ramps.

A lot of my ramps have wooden struts, but maybe more struts than yours have? The buns are fine on them but you can adapt to what makes your bunnies comfortable

Warren Scout

Thank you, both.

Jack's Jane - it mostly was a professional job as the shed itself came from Boyle's.

MightyMax - that non slip stuff looks great but wouldn't they chew that too?

Thank you, both.

Jack's Jane - it mostly was a professional job as the shed itself came from Boyle's.

MightyMax - that non slip stuff looks great but wouldn't they chew that too?

You'd have to try it and see It's relatively inexpensive - some more here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Multipu...g+non+slip+mat

... but yes, you don't want a chewing extravaganza!

Warren Scout

Okay, thanks, I'll think it over. I think whatever I use, the important thing will be covering up the edges with some wood.

Okay, thanks, I'll think it over. I think whatever I use, the important thing will be covering up the edges with some wood.

In that case, something more substantial than the non-slip I mentioned might be required