Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Elder Buns .. Your Ideas please!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Oh, we're going back to the vets with Caramel tomorrow, I'll add whether older buns would benefit from supplements to my list of things to ask.

Thank you Natalie xx

I've been using the oxbow joint one for an arthritic bun, but not been using it long enough yet to see if there is any significant benefit.

All my other oldies have never had or needed any.
    I Suffer From Multiple Rabbit Syndrome
    (Because One Rabbit Is Never Enough!)

I'm absorbing all this for when Joey, Boo & Mouse get old. Nice thread

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I'm absorbing all this for when Joey, Boo & Mouse get old. Nice thread

Thank you

I've been reading this thread too. All useful, especially as I have two older bunnies, albeit house ones. So thanks!

Great thread. The girls are only 2 years old so a long way to go but this'll be helpful when they are old... or if we ever get them an older husbun. (Mainly because I'm jealous of J&B's trio)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Even the strongest need to have a day of weakness

Wise Old Thumper

My bigges thing for my old bunnies (currently 3X10, and 11), is Metacam for arthritis. As bunnies hide pain, we've had to be very vigilant in picking up anything not quite right (as we all are). My bunnies don't look old. They all look young, and they also don't feel old in themselves, but, prior to getting them on Metacam, a couple looked like they felt old. So that's my tip. Being hypervigilant for anything remotely like stiffness and then getting a vet to check, with a view for ongoing and regular Metacam.

Mine all started at around 7 years on theirs.
    PLEASE DONíT QUOTE MY POSTS IN ANY THREADS I START. Thank you

Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

'I have the responsibility to do what I want in a world of others, but so does everyone else and it works best if we take each other into account.' (EVD)

Quote Originally Posted by Sky-O View Post
    My bigges thing for my old bunnies (currently 3X10, and 11), is Metacam for arthritis. As bunnies hide pain, we've had to be very vigilant in picking up anything not quite right (as we all are). My bunnies don't look old. They all look young, and they also don't feel old in themselves, but, prior to getting them on Metacam, a couple looked like they felt old. So that's my tip. Being hypervigilant for anything remotely like stiffness and then getting a vet to check, with a view for ongoing and regular Metacam.

Mine all started at around 7 years on theirs.
    Elphie's 7 (8 in Jan 2018.), and she's been on/off metacam for the exact same reason for about a year now. I've got pretty good at "reading" her and know when she needs it now. I expect there will come a day when that might be every day, but that's not yet.

After the death of her sister, Galinda (Jan 2016), she became very frail with her mourning, in spite of new rabbit companionship more-or-less immediately. She was indoor only from about March-June 2016 (with companions). She's now exclusively indoor only (apart from brief sojourns on occasional dry days), with 1 companion, Morningstar. Morning's coming up for 5 now and these girls adore each other.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by daphnephoebe View Post
    Great thread. The girls are only 2 years old so a long way to go but this'll be helpful when they are old... or if we ever get them an older husbun. (Mainly because I'm jealous of J&B's trio)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Trios are definitely lovely, and fortunately mine bonded fast and are great together

I love having trios, but definately miss my bigger groups.
    I Suffer From Multiple Rabbit Syndrome
    (Because One Rabbit Is Never Enough!)