• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elder Buns .. Your Ideas please!

My two are no spring chickens. Ronnie is 5 and Mary is 5 1/2 (the cougar! :D ) No one has told them they're getting on now, they still run round like youngsters! :D

This is definately something I find easier within groups. With pairs the bunny left behind has always mourned terribly, some I've lost soon after despite seeming in perfect health. Yet the groups, whilst the dynamic may change they do seem to recover much more quickly.

this was one of the main reasons I went from 2 to 3 bunnies

DP - one of the nicest things I've heard - thank you

This is definately something I find easier within groups. With pairs the bunny left behind has always mourned terribly, some I've lost soon after despite seeming in perfect health. Yet the groups, whilst the dynamic may change they do seem to recover much more quickly.

This is definitely something I've experienced very recently. Two of my trio were exceptionally close and when we lost one of them very recently, I expected the other to grieve quite dramatically, This has not happened and the remaining two now support each other very well.

I now need to make some plans to avoid one rabbit being left by itself.

This is definitely something I've experienced very recently. Two of my trio were exceptionally close and when we lost one of them very recently, I expected the other to grieve quite dramatically, This has not happened and the remaining two now support each other very well.

I now need to make some plans to avoid one rabbit being left by itself.

Would you think of introducing a third rabbit (or fourth?) to the pair, Omi?

I wonder if it feels strange (sorry can't think of a better word) being down from four, to three and now two xx

Would you think of introducing a third rabbit (or fourth?) to the pair, Omi?

I wonder if it feels strange (sorry can't think of a better word) being down from four, to three and now two xx

To answer your second question first, yes, it does feel very strange to be down to just two rabbits. It looks wrong in so many ways :(
Mostly I think it just looks as though there is so much vacant space. It also seems wrong they they just interact just with each other instead of two other rabbits :? It feels weird.

Introducing one or more rabbits I think would be problematic. We have been talking about it a lot though. I don't think my heart is ready for other rabbits, but for the reason that Amy has raised, I would like at least to explore possibilities and have some sort of plan in place. I'll possibly start another thread to discuss the issues in more depth. I had always thought that Tan would go first, as she appears fragile, but now I think she might be a problem with bonding and I couldn't bear the thought of hurting her, either emotionally or physically. As they are outside rabbits there are issues with a bonding space as well.

I think I'm probably the same as everyone else in this situation, I'd like things to be as they were, but I'm realistic enough to accept that's not possible.

To answer your second question first, yes, it does feel very strange to be down to just two rabbits. It looks wrong in so many ways :(
Mostly I think it just looks as though there is so much vacant space. It also seems wrong they they just interact just with each other instead of two other rabbits :? It feels weird.

Introducing one or more rabbits I think would be problematic. We have been talking about it a lot though. I don't think my heart is ready for other rabbits, but for the reason that Amy has raised, I would like at least to explore possibilities and have some sort of plan in place. I'll possibly start another thread to discuss the issues in more depth. I had always thought that Tan would go first, as she appears fragile, but now I think she might be a problem with bonding and I couldn't bear the thought of hurting her, either emotionally or physically. As they are outside rabbits there are issues with a bonding space as well.

I think I'm probably the same as everyone else in this situation, I'd like things to be as they were, but I'm realistic enough to accept that's not possible.

I had a trio, when Betty died, Ronnie and Mary focused all their attention on each other. They didn't appear to grieve and just got on with life as if she had never existed in the first place!

It's difficult. I can just imagine how it seems now with two rabbits instead of three.

Regarding introducing another rabbit, perhaps time will work that one out for you, and if it's meant to be then things will converge and make it a possibility.

I must say that when one of my rabbits lost a soulmate, I felt like Amy .. It so heartbreaking to see, I thought that bonding three together was the way to go. It means that they are all mates, but none are 'glued together' as pairs often can be. This I feel is a slight issue for one of the rabbits, but that balance is addressed by the extra human attention that is craved and of course freely given :)

I hope it's ok to bring this thread back to life..!

I was wondering if general lack of appetite is a thing in older buns?

My Tango is approaching 8 now, although this is a a bit of a guess as I believe he was handed to the Blue Cross as a stray. In the past year he has started needing dentals for spurs every 4 months or so. He seems agile and doesn't look in any pain but after his last dental he never really regained his greediness. He often leaves pellets but eats greens and hay, and doesn't rush through his tunnel to meet me at the door nowadays. He's had vet checks since and has actually gained weight (possibly through me trying to tempt him with different brands of pellets!), and his teeth still look good.

Just wondered if anyone has come across this in their elder buns as it doesn't seem to be related to any specific diet or health issue! Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

:lol:

Yes those heat mats ... Are they something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermal-Pet-Mat-Bed-Thermo-Reflective/dp/B019HMQ6BI

I saw those a while ago, and decided to buy the inner material and make my own. I have about four of them, with removable covers so I can wash 'just in case'. They have certainly been appreciated in the buns' beds :)

Electric heat pads are also awesome, and I got a couple just before one of the cold winters here in the UK. I kept them on 24/7 and my arthritis bun absolutely loved it :) Well to be honest, they all loved them!

They are also really good for helping does to recover from spay operations :)

Great thread MM! What interfacing did you use? Is it thermal batting like insul-bright or something thicker? I have a ton of fleece and plush fabric, I bet the buns and guinea pigs would love some, especially Luna who is getting on a bit xxx

I hope it's ok to bring this thread back to life..!

I was wondering if general lack of appetite is a thing in older buns?

My Tango is approaching 8 now, although this is a a bit of a guess as I believe he was handed to the Blue Cross as a stray. In the past year he has started needing dentals for spurs every 4 months or so. He seems agile and doesn't look in any pain but after his last dental he never really regained his greediness. He often leaves pellets but eats greens and hay, and doesn't rush through his tunnel to meet me at the door nowadays. He's had vet checks since and has actually gained weight (possibly through me trying to tempt him with different brands of pellets!), and his teeth still look good.

Just wondered if anyone has come across this in their elder buns as it doesn't seem to be related to any specific diet or health issue! Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It's more than OK sierra :D

I am glad he's eating greens and hay. At least his teeth will get good wear.

If he's gained weight, then not too much to worry about there, but I agree it's odd :?

Great thread MM! What interfacing did you use? Is it thermal batting like insul-bright or something thicker? I have a ton of fleece and plush fabric, I bet the buns and guinea pigs would love some, especially Luna who is getting on a bit xxx

I didn't use interfacing ERC :wave:

I just made the warm outer covering and slotted in some of the thermal material so it could be removed :)

My 2 old girls

I have two old lady bunnies--both about 10 years. They have lived outside in a large hutch their whole life, but I moved them indoors this winter. One of them is especially pathetic. She has always had chronic sneezing and sore hocks (she has Rex-y fur), but now she also has a plum sized cyst in her abdomen (checked by vet 6 months ago) and poops on her foot and pees here and there. She has little bald patches. Poor dear. She looks like a neglected bun. I feel so guilty. Her companion looks 100 times better though--all normal--so I know it is not her living conditions, diet, etc. Just age.
Anybody have advice on how to clean off her face? Her fur has obviously gotten damp and dried and I cannot comb it.

Back