• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elder Buns .. Your Ideas please!

I've been using the oxbow joint one for an arthritic bun, but not been using it long enough yet to see if there is any significant benefit.

All my other oldies have never had or needed any.

I've been reading this thread too. All useful, especially as I have two older bunnies, albeit house ones. So thanks!

Great thread. The girls are only 2 years old so a long way to go but this'll be helpful when they are old... or if we ever get them an older husbun. (Mainly because I'm jealous of J&B's trio)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

My bigges thing for my old bunnies (currently 3X10, and 11), is Metacam for arthritis. As bunnies hide pain, we've had to be very vigilant in picking up anything not quite right (as we all are). My bunnies don't look old. They all look young, and they also don't feel old in themselves, but, prior to getting them on Metacam, a couple looked like they felt old. So that's my tip. Being hypervigilant for anything remotely like stiffness and then getting a vet to check, with a view for ongoing and regular Metacam.

Mine all started at around 7 years on theirs.

My bigges thing for my old bunnies (currently 3X10, and 11), is Metacam for arthritis. As bunnies hide pain, we've had to be very vigilant in picking up anything not quite right (as we all are). My bunnies don't look old. They all look young, and they also don't feel old in themselves, but, prior to getting them on Metacam, a couple looked like they felt old. So that's my tip. Being hypervigilant for anything remotely like stiffness and then getting a vet to check, with a view for ongoing and regular Metacam.

:thumb: Elphie's 7 (8 in Jan 2018.), and she's been on/off metacam for the exact same reason for about a year now. I've got pretty good at "reading" her and know when she needs it now. I expect there will come a day when that might be every day, but that's not yet.

After the death of her sister, Galinda (Jan 2016), she became very frail with her mourning, in spite of new rabbit companionship more-or-less immediately. She was indoor only from about March-June 2016 (with companions). She's now exclusively indoor only (apart from brief sojourns on occasional dry days), with 1 companion, Morningstar. Morning's coming up for 5 now and these girls adore each other.

Great thread. The girls are only 2 years old so a long way to go but this'll be helpful when they are old... or if we ever get them an older husbun. (Mainly because I'm jealous of J&B's trio)

:lol:

Trios are definitely lovely, and fortunately mine bonded fast and are great together :love:

This is my experience too. Mine are 6 1/2, 7 1/2 and 8 and the 8 year old has been on daily Metacam for six months. The vet identified stiffness in her back legs on examination and diagnosed Arthritis. All three are lively and appear to be happy. They have a daily routine and this seems to provide security.

My top tip would be to assess their quality of life over quantity. For me that means considering very carefully any possible medical/surgical intervention for them and deciding each situation on its own merits.

Thanks Sky-O :)

Metacam for stiffness and arthritis is very important. For my own rabbits, I have had to (sometimes) add in Tramadol, as the pain relief offered by Metacam wasn't enough.

A good vet should be able to check for arthritis without the need for X-rays

:thumb: Elphie's 7 (8 in Jan 2018.), and she's been on/off metacam for the exact same reason for about a year now. I've got pretty good at "reading" her and know when she needs it now. I expect there will come a day when that might be every day, but that's not yet.

After the death of her sister, Galinda (Jan 2016), she became very frail with her mourning, in spite of new rabbit companionship more-or-less immediately. She was indoor only from about March-June 2016 (with companions). She's now exclusively indoor only (apart from brief sojourns on occasional dry days), with 1 companion, Morningstar. Morning's coming up for 5 now and these girls adore each other.

I've noticed this tlc, and it's sad to see :(

Grief can affect them very badly sometimes. They recover, but I feel some rabbits just never get over it, whilst others move onto the next partner and just 'get on with life' :)

I've noticed this tlc, and it's sad to see :(

Grief can affect them very badly sometimes. They recover, but I feel some rabbits just never get over it, whilst others move onto the next partner and just 'get on with life' :)

No experience of this in rabbits but I had similar with ferrets. One Jill was kinda happier to have some other company, but it took a special boy to make her seem normal again. I guess they need that connection.

No experience of this in rabbits but I had similar with ferrets. One Jill was kinda happier to have some other company, but it took a special boy to make her seem normal again. I guess they need that connection.

It's a really odd phenomena, isn't it dp?

It's as though some rabbits know life will never be the same again, and they contain themselves against it. Or they cling to me just in case the new partner/partners disappear??

I think you're right. That special connection. For us all really? :)

I hadn't realised that different breeds age differently. Previously my house rabbits had all passed on at about nine years old. However my two latest are both a bit larger. They came from an animal rescue place and described in their paperwork as x breed lops, both now nearly 7 years old. Both house rabbits still.
BB is currently 2.52 k and Harriet 2.14k, both a little bit less than their weight when I first got them late 2015. though Harriet actually looks quite a bit smaller. Can I work out their likely life span?
Both are quite active, especially after I strategically placed stiff mats around the edges of the living room to stop them sliding like ice skaters on the wooded floor area when they run.
Ive noticed that at rest, Harriet quite often, but not always, holds herself up,exactly the same as someone else described here in their post which made me start thinking.
On the vet s advice and after X-rays I now give metacalm to my 11 year old cat Jazz, after she recently started limping.
I read another post on this thread, saying that with a rabbit, x rays shouldn't be/aren't needed. I wish I'd read the relevant posts about that and how a vet can check for stiffness, before I took them both for their vaccinations recently!
I know with Jazz she needed her bloods checked first but can't remember if that was only because there was a risk with the anaesthetic or to also ensure the metacalm could be safely administered.

Last edited:
Grief can affect them very badly sometimes. They recover, but I feel some rabbits just never get over it, whilst others move onto the next partner and just 'get on with life'

This is definately something I find easier within groups. With pairs the bunny left behind has always mourned terribly, some I've lost soon after despite seeming in perfect health. Yet the groups, whilst the dynamic may change they do seem to recover much more quickly.

This is definately something I find easier within groups. With pairs the bunny left behind has always mourned terribly, some I've lost soon after despite seeming in perfect health. Yet the groups, whilst the dynamic may change they do seem to recover much more quickly.

Yes I know exactly what you mean Amy.

The bond is definitely different in a group scenario.
Though two bunnies in love is the ultimate wonderful thing ... perhaps!! :)

Back