• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elder Buns .. Your Ideas please!

MightyMax

Banned
I was thinking it might be a good thing to have a thread devoted to our lovely elderlies :love:

What you define as 'elderly' is up to you.
It could be as young as 5/6, or 14/15, depending on your rabbit's breed and health status.

If anyone has any tips on supplements, health, husbandry and would like to share, please post :wave:

I'll kick off with using a potting tray as a low sided litter tray for those who can't hop much any more.
Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stewart-23...8&qid=1504360189&sr=1-1&keywords=potting+tray

This is a lovely thread, MM - thanks for starting it! I'm sure it will be interesting to follow!

Using potting trays for litter trays is a great idea, they're the perfect size too.

My Kirsty loved snuggling up with a Robison's squash bottle filled with some hot water wrapped in one of his blankets. I found it the perfect size for him to comfortably lie against it and prop himself up on it. :love:

I was thinking it might be a good thing to have a thread devoted to our lovely elderlies

What you define as 'elderly' is up to you.
It could be as young as 5/6, or 14/15, depending on your rabbit's breed and health status.

If anyone has any tips on supplements, health, husbandry and would like to share, please post

I'll kick off with using a potting tray as a low sided litter tray for those who can't hop much any more.
Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stewart-231...s=potting+tray

Haha, it's like you are in my braaaiiin. :shock:

I was just looking at what stores here stock those potting trays. I saw one in a hardware store some years ago but I don't know if they now stock them.

I was also talking with someone earlier today about my elderly dwarf lop (will be 11yrs in 10wks time) and his bunwife (NZW mix) would be similarly "aged" with her being 5 or 6 yrs old.

My 10yr old bun has just recently gone onto 12 hourly doses of meloxicam. He still moves around really well but he was favouring one side when sitting still, and squinting the eyes more which i took as him feeling more uncomfortable. The vets tell me he has pain in the hips.

A very affordable item I picked up recently was a "heat" mat that uses passive heat. It's simply a mat with a reflective core. I especially like that this one has a removable cover! I only paid $12 as I didn't think it would fair well (one of the pair likes to chew fabrics) but she has left it alone so far *touch wood*.
They are very much favouring this mat as the place to hang out, so I do think it is providing some comfort to them.
I've been looking into electric heat pads and have seen the ones recommended here on RU in various threads. As we are coming into our warmer seasons and my rabbits are housed inside, I may purchase one for next winter when the time comes.

I'll be watching this thread with interest! : )

Last edited:
This is a lovely thread, MM - thanks for starting it! I'm sure it will be interesting to follow!

Using potting trays for litter trays is a great idea, they're the perfect size too.

My Kirsty loved snuggling up with a Robison's squash bottle filled with some hot water wrapped in one of his blankets. I found it the perfect size for him to comfortably lie against it and prop himself up on it. :love:

Oh! I found a one of those stone hot water bottles online earlier this year, and the seller said it was mine. But through some confusion, she ended up selling to someone else.

Ah thank you LL :)

That's a great idea for a hottie. And usually an instant solution if you've a sick bun as well as being good for the old age bones :) Propping themselves up is something the older buns seem to do quite a lot, probably because of arthritis and trying to get comfortable?

Haha, it's like you are in my braaaiiin. :shock:

I was just looking at what stores here stock those potting trays. I saw one in a hardware store some years ago but I don't know if they now stock them.

I was also talking with someone earlier today about my elderly dwarf lop (will be 11yrs in 10wks time) and his bunwife (NZW mix) would be similarly "aged" with her being 5 or 6 yrs old.

My 10yr old bun has just recently gone onto 12 hourly doses of meloxicam. He still moves around really well but he was favouring one side when sitting still, and squinting the eyes more which i took as him feeling more uncomfortable. The vets tell me he has pain in the hips.

A very affordable item I picked up recently was a "heat" mat that uses passive heat. It's simply a mat with a reflective core. I especially like that this one has a removable cover! I only paid $12 as I didn't think it would fair well (one of the pair likes to chew fabrics) but she has left it alone so far *touch wood*.
They are very much favouring this mat as the place to hang out, so I do think it is providing some comfort to them.
I've been looking into electric heat pads and have seen the ones recommended here on RU in various threads. As we are coming into our warmer seasons and my rabbits are housed inside, I may purchase one for next winter when the time comes.

I'll be watching this thread with interest! : )

:lol:

Yes those heat mats ... Are they something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermal-Pet-Mat-Bed-Thermo-Reflective/dp/B019HMQ6BI

I saw those a while ago, and decided to buy the inner material and make my own. I have about four of them, with removable covers so I can wash 'just in case'. They have certainly been appreciated in the buns' beds :)

Electric heat pads are also awesome, and I got a couple just before one of the cold winters here in the UK. I kept them on 24/7 and my arthritis bun absolutely loved it :) Well to be honest, they all loved them!

They are also really good for helping does to recover from spay operations :)

Ah thank you LL :)

That's a great idea for a hottie. And usually an instant solution if you've a sick bun as well as being good for the old age bones :) Propping themselves up is something the older buns seem to do quite a lot, probably because of arthritis and trying to get comfortable?

Thank you! Yes, I'd imagine taking the strain off of their joints and the addition of heat must be very soothing. :)

Oh! I found a one of those stone hot water bottles online earlier this year, and the seller said it was mine. But through some confusion, she ended up selling to someone else.

That's a shame. At least now you can save some money by just buying a bottle of squash! ;)

:lol:

Yes those heat mats ... Are they something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermal-Pet-Mat-Bed-Thermo-Reflective/dp/B019HMQ6BI

I saw those a while ago, and decided to buy the inner material and make my own. I have about four of them, with removable covers so I can wash 'just in case'. They have certainly been appreciated in the buns' beds :

Electric heat pads are also awesome, and I got a couple just before one of the cold winters here in the UK. I kept them on 24/7 and my arthritis bun absolutely loved it :) Well to be honest, they all loved them!

They are also really good for helping does to recover from spay operations :)

Oh they sound good, I have already started to think about how to keep Caramel warm in the colder months. I'm not sure I want to leave her in her hutch overnight in the middle of winter. I was wondering about having either a bunny bothy type thing for night times, or an indoor hutch/space. They must find it harder to keep warm once they get older right? Plus, at the moment, Caramel doesn't have a companion bun to snuggle with.

Oh they sound good, I have already started to think about how to keep Caramel warm in the colder months. I'm not sure I want to leave her in her hutch overnight in the middle of winter. I was wondering about having either a bunny bothy type thing for night times, or an indoor hutch/space. They must find it harder to keep warm once they get older right? Plus, at the moment, Caramel doesn't have a companion bun to snuggle with.

Yes, the problem with rabbits is that sometimes you make a big warm den in their hutch full of straw etc, and then they go and use it as a litter tray and sit out in the colder area :roll:

I think they do find it harder to keep warm when they are older. What kind of accommodation was Caramel used to in her old place?

I sewed a fleece cover for it :D

I buy up old bits and pieces from charity shops and make something comfortable.

I used to use vet bed, but for some reason they like to pee on that more than fleece covers - I don't know if anyone else finds this to be the case?

One of the trios wee really badly on vetbed but never on fleece.

The other group are fine with both.

The fleece is definately preferred by all tho. i tend to reserve vetbed for poorly buns as you can wash it at such a high temp and kill any nastys.

One of the trios wee really badly on vetbed but never on fleece.

The other group are fine with both.

The fleece is definately preferred by all tho. i tend to reserve vetbed for poorly buns as you can wash it at such a high temp and kill any nastys.

I love vet bed, as for older and incontinent bunnies it's a sheer godsend :)

Does anyone give, or consider giving, their older buns supplements or vitamins of any sort?

I was asked this recently, and would be interested in your and/or vet advice on this one :)

Oh, we're going back to the vets with Caramel tomorrow, I'll add whether older buns would benefit from supplements to my list of things to ask. :)

Back