• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

12 week old bunnies ? MITES??/ Photo Upload?

Kit123

New Kit
Hi everyone, I'm new to the group and have 12 week old Mini Lops, male and female. Noticed bits on her ear this morning and on inspection on body too, took a pic - have no idea as new bunny owner. We haven't clear them yet as investigating what to give them so maybe fleas or mites? Any help much appreciated:-/ wondering how to post the pic!?

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm new to the group and have 12 week old Mini Lops, male and female. Noticed bits on her ear this morning and on inspection on body too, took a pic - have no idea as new bunny owner. We haven't clear them yet as investigating what to give them so maybe fleas or mites? Any help much appreciated:-/ wondering how to add pic

20170902_121444_zps3hacmqb6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

20170902_121444_zps3hacmqb6.jpg.html

20170902_121444_zps3hacmqb6.jpg.html

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm new to the group and have 12 week old Mini Lops, male and female. Noticed bits on her ear this morning and on inspection on body too, took a pic - have no idea as new bunny owner. We haven't clear them yet as investigating what to give them so maybe fleas or mites? Any help much appreciated:-/ wondering how to post the pic!?

Hello

This link shows how to post photos

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?136183-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos

Or

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...tos-directly-from-facebook-or-another-website

I would not use anything on your Rabbits until you know for certain whether or not they do have fleas/mites. I'd get your Vet to take a look if you are unsure. If the Rabbits are not yet vaccinated (both Nobivac and Filivac) then you could discuss having these done too :)

Apparently I need to update my account to allow this? Could anyone help as completely new to Photobucket?

Unless people can see the pic by clicking on that now!? Yes I just have to call my vet when I want to have their Jabs done.

Welcome :wave:

You can try posting using these links here - hope they might help?:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...tos-directly-from-facebook-or-another-website

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?136183-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos

Photobucket isn't working, so you may have to register with Imgur or another photo-hosting site :)

Will have to look at posting pics another time! But thanks for the info everyone. It's looking like they both have at least a couple of tics!! Vets tomorrow!! :-/

Kit123, I hope you don't mind - I was able to find the image code with photobucket thumbnail image in your post. I uploaded copy to my imgur account then shared the pic here. Saves you having to do that. ;)

lS3x1oi.jpg

wWTDvLK.jpg

Fingers crossed they show...

Stronghold (aka Revolution) is good stuff. Your vet will be able tell you dosage. Just be aware - never to use any product containing fipronil. It's toxic for rabbits.

Stronghold (aka Revolution) is good stuff. Your vet will be able tell you dosage. Just be aware - never to use any product containing fipronil. It's toxic for rabbits.

Jerseygirl, thank you, you're amazing :)

It could well be mites, as you suspect kit123. Looks like there's been some irritation to the spot.

You can get over the counter meds for that, but your vet will identify for sure and give the correct dosage per rabbit.

The normal treatment for mites is ivermectin:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Pharmaq_Ivermectin_Spot-On_Drops/c19097/

It's usually a spot on treatment, for both rabbits are the same time, and then it's repeated two weeks later. Some vets also repeat the dose a further two weeks after that to interrupt the life cycle of the mite

Good luck xx

Kit123, I hope you don't mind - I was able to find the image code with photobucket thumbnail image in your post. I uploaded copy to my imgur account then shared the pic here. Saves you having to do that. ;)

lS3x1oi.jpg

wWTDvLK.jpg

Fingers crossed they show...

They do JG, thanks !!

Kit123, the lesion looks more like the result of a nip from another Rabbit. The Buck may be reaching puberty now and mounting the Doe. Bucks can latch on with their teeth as they do this, causing some damage to the Doe in the process. I'd have a look at your Buck's undercarriage to see if there are any signs of his testes having descended.

Personally I would not apply any treatment to the Rabbits skin unless you are certain that there are mites present. Whilst Ivermectin is generally safe when used appropriately it is not a drug without potential side effects. Hence I would not want to use it if it were not really needed.

Hope all goes well at the Vets :)

Thankyou Jersey Girl for uploading pics,

On further Inspection of both, they have something sticking out of the skin (like a tic!), several of them! Although having read Mighty Max article it sounds like they can have burrowing mites! Poor things:-/

So there is no preventative for mites then? Also, what's the recommendation for flea and worm prevention please while I'm here??

QUOTE=MightyMax;6945290]Jerseygirl, thank you, you're amazing :)

It could well be mites, as you suspect kit123. Looks like there's been some irritation to the spot.

You can get over the counter meds for that, but your vet will identify for sure and give the correct dosage per rabbit.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Pharmaq_Ivermectin_Spot-On_Drops/c19097/

It's usually a spot on treatment, for both rabbits are the same time, and then it's repeated two weeks later. Some vets also repeat the dose a further two weeks after that to interrupt the life cycle of the mite

Good luck xx[/QUOTE]

thankyou jersey girl for uploading pics,

on further inspection of both, they have something sticking out of the skin (like a tic!), several of them! Although having read mighty max article it sounds like they can have burrowing mites! Poor things:-/

so there is no preventative for mites then? Also, what's the recommendation for flea and worm prevention please while i'm here??

Quote=mightymax;6945290]jerseygirl, thank you, you're amazing :)

it could well be mites, as you suspect kit123. Looks like there's been some irritation to the spot.

http://www.medirabbit.com/en/skin_diseases/parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

https://www.viovet.co.uk/pharmaq_ivermectin_spot-on_drops/c19097/

it's usually a spot on treatment, for both rabbits are the same time, and then it's repeated two weeks later. Some vets also repeat the dose a further two weeks after that to interrupt the life cycle of the mite

good luck xx

Hi there.

It's difficult to visualise what you mean but mites can cause degradation of the fur, and that's what you might be seeing?

There is no preventative for mites, and they usually pick them up from hay and such like, but it's often a sign that the rabbit's immune system is a bit low. They could've been stressed for any reason - perhaps over the last few weeks since coming to live with you? Not that living with you is stressful, but any change is quite a stressor for a rabbit!

For fleas, you can use revolution (selamectin), or you can use Advantage for rabbits. For worms you can use Panacur (which you can get as a paste - it's a nine day course, and you treat both the rabbits at the same time)

I hope the vet can identify the problem and set you and them on the right track :D

Last edited:
Oops. I read original post as both bunnies having something but this is just on your girl? And you had noticed bites on her ear?
As Jane mentioned, it could very well be a bunny bite on the body also. Either way, at this age separating them is recommended so they don't fight.

Seeing things sticking up around the area sounds worrisome... Unless it's dry skin or edges of a scab?? Best a vet assess it as wounds can attract flies so their is risk of flystrike and wounds can also abscess.

Hi. They look just like the bites our buck had when we first got him. He had been fighting with his brothers. Some healed but a couple became raised and developed into small abscesses. Like others have said I would get them checked out at a vet.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Back