• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House Rabbit

My son asked me to get him a rabbit, but In UK Winter is cold( not like Russia), but still cold, so that why I want to know what kind of rabbit I should get for my son, it there are any small rabbits to buy?
Thank you so much

Hello and welcome :)

If you bunny proof your house, freeranging is the way to go!

Bunnies can be litter trained and it is so much fun watching them running and jumping around.

There are thousands of rabbits in rescue including the smaller breeds of netherland dwarfs and mini lops.

Rabbits are sociable animals and should be kept in pairs. A neutered pair from a rescue would be your best option :)

Please be aware that rabbits require annual vaccinations and that vet bills can be fairly hefty for illnesses.

Please have a good read around the forum to get all the information you need in making your decision :)

Rabbits can cope okay with the cold. Your location says London so as long as your rabbit has access to a warm dry shed or large hutch with plenty of fresh hay and a rabbit friend to cuddle with, they will be fine.

As far as suitable outdoor housing goes, the ideal option would be a shed and run/aviary setup, allowing the rabbits plenty of both indoor and outdoor space:

photo3_64.jpg

Shed___aviary_article_detail.jpg

If a setup like that isn't an option then you'll need a large 6ft+ size hutch with an attached run. With a hutch you will probably need a waterproof cover in the winter time and when it's very rainy.

This is the sort of size hutch you'll need:

20150220_112741-510x600.jpg

The hutch should be connected to a run for them too.

All those options above will offer suitable protection in winter for rabbits. There are plenty of ideas on these forums so definitely have a look through and don't be afraid to ask if you have any other questions. :D

My son asked me to get him a rabbit, but In UK Winter is cold( not like Russia), but still cold, so that why I want to know what kind of rabbit I should get for my son, it there are any small rabbits to buy?
Thank you so much

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Two rabbits keep each other warm in the cold UK winters :D

I would get a couple, already neutered, vaccinated and bonded, from a rescue centre. Saves you so much hassle and all the cost of neutering and vaccinating.

Good luck whatever you choose to do :)

Well, I don't know how thoroughly your son and you have pondered that topic, so I just add a few thoughts of mine to your short post.

Rabbits are a 10years+ commitment - unless you get older ones from a rescue. The daily chores (every day, always) for my rabbits are about 2x 15 minutes minimum. That doesn't include social interaction. About that - Rabbits are not like cats or dogs, although they are all different they are not as dependent and affectionate as other pets, it imho takes a lot of time and patience to really enjoy them. Having mentioned that they are all different, there are some breeds and lines that are better than others - it can be difficult for unexperienced people to pick the right rabbit. The sweet quite one of the litter that just sits being petted and doesn't struggle when picked up - it can be a nice one, more likely it has serious trouble, is in pain or sick.
I think a rabbit rescue with dedicated people there is a good choice to get rabbits from, also good breeders - listen to their advice. I only sell the better temperaments, no one wants to spend 10 years with a skittish, nasty animal ( well, it actually is really awarding getting one of those around, and enjoy giving noserubs after 3 years of thrashing and biting...;))

I have a house bunny for 3 months now, my 3 yrs old herd buck (I'm a meat breeder), perfect. It wouldn't have worked out while he was younger.

Read a lot, and make your son read a lot. There's a lot of info on the internet. This forum, and there are others too (google or pm me)

Your problem isn't the cold. But having a quite intelligent, often very dedicated to their own ways animal.

Please ask any questions that cross your mind.

Last edited:
There's a great community of Russian rabbit owners on VKontakte if you want more ideas for house rabbits, and what applies there can pretty much apply here too :D I think it's just called 'домашные кролики' (which is probably spelled wrong because my Russian isn't great outside of heavy metal music, space and aircraft!). Rabbits do need lots of space so giving your whole house over, or even one whole room, is a great thing for them. They're basically a lot like cats, I suppose!

Ah, although it's just fiction, "Watership down" is imho one of the best reads about rabbits. Skip the movie, although it's not bad, the book is better.

There's a great community of Russian rabbit owners on VKontakte if you want more ideas for house rabbits, and what applies there can pretty much apply here too :D I think it's just called 'домашные кролики' (which is probably spelled wrong because my Russian isn't great outside of heavy metal music, space and aircraft!). Rabbits do need lots of space so giving your whole house over, or even one whole room, is a great thing for them. They're basically a lot like cats, I suppose!

I may be wrong, KK, but I think the Russian connection is a red herring - the OP lives in London :lol:

Hi.
As others have said, a pair of neutered rabbits from a rescue center is ideal. An older pair may be best as their carers will know their personalities and be able to help you choose a suitable pair.

House rabbits are really easy to keep - Just rabbit proof a room that's 60sqft, or rabbit proof the whole house and let them roam all the time.

Have a good research on their needs and cost. Mine cost £60 a month in hay alone.... if I were to add the dried forage, veg, litter & insurance it'd likely be around £140 a month!

Insurance is a must in my opinion as health wise they can be costly if they get ill.

This is my Bunny room, although they get access to most of the house at all times.

The room has actually changed since taking these pictures as I now have a desk where their cage used to be.
1242c890eb91ea9f8942e84920ce36c5.jpg
1ce4580d8084e475c620f852fcb58c3e.jpg
dba5be9d835b213eba5ccbf7421e3a6b.jpg
9a2f52995d59a99362b2d465e9364e8a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi.
As others have said, a pair of neutered rabbits from a rescue center is ideal. An older pair may be best as their carers will know their personalities and be able to help you choose a suitable pair.

House rabbits are really easy to keep - Just rabbit proof a room that's 60sqft, or rabbit proof the whole house and let them roam all the time.

Have a good research on their needs and cost. Mine cost £60 a month in hay alone.... if I were to add the dried forage, veg, litter & insurance it'd likely be around £140 a month!

Insurance is a must in my opinion as health wise they can be costly if they get ill.

This is my Bunny room, although they get access to most of the house at all times.

The room has actually changed since taking these pictures as I now have a desk where their cage used to be.
1242c890eb91ea9f8942e84920ce36c5.jpg
1ce4580d8084e475c620f852fcb58c3e.jpg
dba5be9d835b213eba5ccbf7421e3a6b.jpg
9a2f52995d59a99362b2d465e9364e8a.jpg

Curious why your hay costs you £60 per month, how many rabbits you got?? I have 6 and I buy the bale from Timothy hay which will last a month and I buy a bale from a farm for bedding hay which is £5 and its all unlimited!!

Curious why your hay costs you £60 per month, how many rabbits you got?? I have 6 and I buy the bale from Timothy hay which will last a month and I buy a bale from a farm for bedding hay which is £5 and its all unlimited!!
Mine are on pellet free diet so eat a lot of hay. They get oat hay, readigrass, Timothy hay and meadow hay. Each costing £5 to £20 per bale. All unlimited.
ETA: The hay also gets cleaned out twice a day - any uneaten gets thrown away after 12hours as I have to encourage them to keep eating it with fresh hay.

Last edited:
Back