• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Claw clipping by one person a gentle way

rosaleen

Warren Scout
Hello:wave:
I hope someone can help me. One of my two rabbits needs her claws cutting. (Her mate. a much calmer and humanised bunny had his done when visiting the vet for gut stasis.) She came from a rescue centre and has always been very nervous. She's better than she was and will now allow me to stroke her (with both hands!) on her body when she is eating.
I'm aiming in the long run to be able to cut her claws while she is on the ground doing one or two claws at a time. I've trawled through YouTube and found one where the person offers treats as reward when the rabbit is touched near her claws leading step by step onto cutting BUT that rabbit is obviously not a nervous one! She also had just the one rabbit so didn't have to think about another one running loose in the home, poking its nose in for a treat:oops:
Has anyone had a similar issue which they've managed to resolve?And if so what was the time frame to eventual success.
Both need to have their vaccinations soon, but worry if the vet does the clipping it will be a step backwards in terms of trust.
Thanks

Ours both hate claw clipping time. One we've had for longer (five-six months now) and we've managed to get him fairly good at it. There are usually two of us, but I've done it by myself a couple of times with him. I think it will be harder with just one of you to start with, but once you can do it a calm, gentle, quick way I don't think you'll need a second person.

For us, we prefer to take them up onto our laps on either sofa or bed, which are reserved for grooming/claw clipping (and is normally the only time we pick them up). After that, it's sort of just practice on both our parts. I have to stay calm, and just move Monty into different positions so I can reach his nails, keep him still and on my lap, and be all reassuring and soothing. Unfortunately, I don't have any real tips for that, other than just doing it as often as necessary until you both learn how to do it together. Afterwards I always give a treat and offer a snuggle before I let them down, so we end on a high. I do think the routine and the removal helps - after all this time, Monty knows what to expect (we're still teaching Ossie!) and he's gone from struggling and scratching and us all loathing it to the last time I did it he sat perfectly contentedly in my lap the entire time and only kicked up a fuss towards the end when he got bored and unilaterally decided it was all done and he was off. Boredom is the only enemy now! Normally he won't interact for more than a few seconds, but he knows that the sofa means if he's good I'll be done in two minutes and there'll be a treat. It also means that the floor is still "his" space and he doesn't need to get nervous about something happening if I come into it - it's like we've built some mutually agreed boundaries around the unpleasant stuff. (It also means no need to worry about the other rabbit getting in the way)

Good luck!

If I ever had to do one of mine alone, I hate to say it but I'd just throw a towel/blanket over them. Put them between my knees so they can't go backwards (like you're kneeling over them - hopefully someone can explain it better). Then clip nails while they're hiding under the blanket. Lots of treats afterwards to make then forget.

I'd probably find this to be quicker and less stressful for my two. I've tried to do desensitisation training with them before but neither would fall for it... yet they fall for it with the carry box. Odd.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have to clip my bunnies' on my own. I usually take them into the bathroom and we sit in the empty bathtub when I do it. It makes it harder for them to get away and I quickly do them while they're temporarily disoriented from being in a strange place. I agree with DP that getting it over and done with as quickly makes it less stressful for them in the long run.

Having said that, they don't like it and will sulk for an hour or two afterwards. One of my bunnies was also very nervous of humans at first, in fact it took me about a year to fully gain her trust. However I've found that, because the base level of trust has been established, the claw clippings have had no effect on the bond I have with her now. I think as long as you're demonstrably aware that you're the most heinous human being that ever walked the planet and look suitably ashamed and penitent for your actions they're usually satisfied!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to clip my bunnies' on my own. I usually take them into the bathroom and we sit in the empty bathtub when I do it. It makes it harder for them to get away and I quickly do them while they're temporarily disoriented from being in a strange place. I agree with DP that getting it over and done with as quickly makes it less stressful for them in the long run.

Having said that, they don't like it and will sulk for an hour or two afterwards. One of my bunnies was also very nervous of humans at first, in fact it took me about a year to fully gain her trust. However I've found that, because the base level of trust has been established, the claw clippings have had no effect on the bond I have with her now. I think as long as you're demonstrably aware that you're the most heinous human being that ever walked the planet and look suitably ashamed and penitent for your actions they're usually satisfied!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love your post [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'm clipping my rabbit's nails on my own too. I put him on a chair covered with fleece, chair is placed against the wall, so he can't run away. Then I gently cut his back and front nails while he is exploring, it takes a few minutes and he's not bothered by it at all. He used to be very nervous and scared of any human contact when I first got him, but now he really likes to be stroked and lays down next to me, I can even hug him. Although as most of rabbits he doesn't like to be picked up.

Išsiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

Hi,
Thanks so much for all your posts. They are very helpful. I'm like Linuxete, in that I have to do it on my own. My partner used to help but he's passed away.
I think I will stick with the gentle approach? I was impressed by the YouTube clip where the owner touched the nails with an immediate treat as reward, leading up to introducing the clippers, and making a sound like the nail being cut using a piece of spaghetti.and so on until the actual gentle cutting.
It's just over two weeks since I started feeding both rabbits their afternoon pellets by hand with me sitting on the floor. Picking them up to put on a chair or whatever is a complete no no. It Positioning was done in such a way that they had to come in between my open legs, up close to my body. Things have REALLY improved in terms of approachability trust and interaction. When I'm in my comfy chair both will now sit by my feet!
This is completely unexpected especially for BeBe the nervous one. I'd always thought/assumed she wasn't too interested in food but now she's more relaxed and knows there's a treat in store it turns out food is very important to her and she responds so well. I think they are they both keeping close by in case I suddenly decide to give them more treats. I will increase the number of times in the day that I do the hand feeding -keeping to their quota of course.
I can't delay the vaccination visit so will ask the vet to do BeBe s long claws at the same time. I should have started this 'training' much earlier!
I'll let you know how the training goes
Thanks again

Last edited:
Back