• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnie first aid box - what would you have in it?

AmberUK

Alpha Buck
I saw some things I had to look up from a post. But what would you say every bunnie mummy or daddy should have to hand?

Avi Pro
Rubber Gloves
100 Syringes 10ml and 1ml
Puppy training pads
nail clippers
tweezers
sterile wipes
hydrogen peroxide / Tamodine
cotton buds
Olbas oil
Critical Care formula
Supreme Recovery
Tiny flat feeding dish for soft food
mouse water bottles for Pro-biotics
Baytril
Bisolvon - For clearing up snot
Infacol
nebuliser if you can afford £140.

A list like this is a great idea.
Can you also put what/how you use things for - such as hydrogen peroxide :? , Iv'e never heard of it!! What is it? what's it used for? where do you get it? That sort of thing.

Hiya,

I have used Hydrogen Peroxide (get at Boots) to keep Caesars abcess clean before it was removed.

I just used a tiny bit on a cotton bud and it did help break up the pus. I was far too squeamish to to squeeze it. The vet evenually removed it surgically but it was on his bottom (a bite) and I was keen to keep it as clean as poss in the meantime.

If I had this porblem again I would probably use a proper rabbit antiseptic like Tamodine but in a pinch this works well and like I said you can get it at Boots.

Great on people's "spots" as well!

After a bit of web surfing and asking around, I have found some great sites.

http://www.vetark.co.uk/

http://www.medisave.co.uk/

AviPro – available from Vetark
Water soluable pro-biotic for Rabbits – Like Bio-Lapis but my buns like it better

Rubber Gloves – available from Medisave
Essential if the bun has an open wound. Also great for cleaning bums!

100 Syringes – available from Medisave
I like to have a lot on hand so that I am not tempted to re-use. Great for giving meds. Particularly handy if you have more than one bun on Baytril.
Also can be used to syringe emergency foods.

Puppy Training Pads – available from P@H
I use in hutches over night after a spay/castration so that stitches don’t get aggravated by hay. I also use if bun is poorly and is sleeping with me. I put one on the kitchen counter when I am clipping nails and grooming. I also use to wrap up a bun if they are going to the vet in my arms and not a pet carrier. They are expensive but very handy indeed!

Sterile Wipes – available from Medisave
These are good for putting saline/salt water on and wiping eyes. Or use to clean a wound.

Tamodine – available from Vetark
Antiseptic wound dressing for rabbits. Use when they have an open wound or to clean stitches

Olbas Oil – available from Holland and Barrett
Great for when your bun has breathing problems. Helps to clear the airway.
I put a drop on each corner of the Puppy pad when my buns are ill. You can also put some on a tissue and leave in the hutch. Never apply the oil directly on to your rabbit.

Critical Care Formula – available from Vetark
Emergency support for collapsed rabbits. When they can’t move or eat use this to get water, nutrients and bacteria into them. Syringe required.

Supreme Recovery /Oxbow Critical Care – available from Vetark
Soft food for rabbits who are not eating. This can be syringed or fed on a small flat bowl. I use a soy sauce dipping bowl.

Mouse water bottles – available from P@H
I like to use small bottles of water when I am giving probiotics. It is easier to keep fresh and monitor how much they drink.

Baytril – available on prescription from your vet
Bog standard bunny antibiotics. Use on advice from vet for infections.

Bisolvon – available on prescription from your vet
Use this to clear up thick snotty noses. Usually associated with Pasturella virus.

Infacol (drug Simethicone) – available from Boots
Use this if you suspect you bunny has wind. It’s a pain relief med for babies with Colic.

Bare in mind you shouldn't give perscription drugs (or some other medications) without consulting a vet.

Also some drugs have a short shelf life, I believe baytril's is 30 days.

Tam

Remember that "our" first aid box may also be that of someone who does not know our buns as well as we do, illness or accident it can happen!

Consider also including;

Name and full contact details of normal rabbit vet.

Insurance details.

Contact details if applicable of a rabbit savvy friend who can help out.

Detailed day to day care and feeding instructions including type, quantity and frequency of food and where to buy from.

Wht "not" to do or feed list.

Depressing I know but will help in the event of an unfortunate accident! We all do it for our human family - lets not forget those furry friends as well!

Bob said:
Remember that "our" first aid box may also be that of someone who does not know our buns as well as we do, illness or accident it can happen!

Consider also including;

Name and full contact details of normal rabbit vet.

Insurance details.

Contact details if applicable of a rabbit savvy friend who can help out.

Detailed day to day care and feeding instructions including type, quantity and frequency of food and where to buy from.

Wht "not" to do or feed list.

Depressing I know but will help in the event of an unfortunate accident! We all do it for our human family - lets not forget those furry friends as well!

Excellent idea Bob. I'm going to do that tomorrow.

This is all really good to know,
I have printed everything out so I can go through it and get a first aid box set up and info for others in an emergency.

I have a bottle of pur Tea Tree Oil, four dabbing on wounds and minor sores.

I also have a spray bottle of Tea Tree antiseptic stuff :?

Homeopathic Calendula Cream is another good item to have to hand, used for soothing sore skin after mite infections or to use on minor cuts.

Gem x

I'm building up mine at the moment, and so far I have (medications wise):

Betadine dry spray - iodine based antiseptic, works even in the presence of pus.
Infacol.
[admin edit]

Pineapple juice (in freezer).
Kaolin & morphine mixture.
Vitamin E capsules.
Latex gloves.
Syringes in a variety of sizes.
Lactol.

Still to get:
Antiseptic wipes.
Sterile scalpel blades.
Probiotic.
Calcivet.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a "holy trinity" of things to treat/prevent GI stasis or bloat in the very early stages... when the rabbit won't eat, looks more quiet than normal and may also be lying in an unusual position (before any other symptoms are seen):

[admin edit]
10ml pineapple juice
Infacol

The pineapple juice will help to shift any blockage, e.g. hairball.
Infacol to help with gas.

This combination, together with massaging the abdomen, can nip gastric problems in the bud. If it turns out to be more serious, conditions worsen or no improvement is seen after a few hours, then I would consult a vet. But the above remedies will not hurt if it turns out to be something else, and the pain relief will give the bunny some comfort at least until seen by the vet.

Oh thats fantastic Sue, bless you for that information, I will be shopping for those items at the weekend :D

Whats the pineapple juice for?

(please excuse my ignorance, still getting into the bunny way of thinking!!)

Back