• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding help

Hi,

I'm sorry for jumping straight into the forum with a question, but I hope someone can help me.

A month ago we lost a beloved bunny to fly strike, leaving one bunny alone. We have recently used a rabbit rescue centre to help rebond the surviving bunny and we welcomed 2 bunnies back home yesterday. The rabbits stayed in the shed yesterday and today we have let the rabbits into the run. The existing rabbit was straight down the runaround tubes into the run and the new bunny understandably took a little longer. Since the new bunny has been in the run he is constantly sitting on and chasing our existing rabbit (who is running away and hiding from him). Is this normal? I really want this bonding to work, but this is all new to me and I want to make sure I am doing the right thing for the 2 bunnies.

I really hope someone can offer advice. Thank you in advance.

welcome to ru . Chasing & a little fur pulling is normal in the early stages but needs a close eye keeping on them. Gradually they will (or should) gain trust & so long as war doesn't break out & they are eating all should be well & they'll get closer a fter a few days. Is your existing bun female? Did the rescue give feedback about how they bonded there?

I'm sorry to hear of the rabbit you lost through fly strike, that must have been tough

Thank you so much for your reply, I am stupidly worried about this!

Yes, the existing rabbit is female and they seem to be eating and drinking well. I think there was a bit of hair pulling during the bonding, our existing rabbit now has a few bald patches, not too much though. Im wondering if I let them into the run too early and should have kept the bunnies in the shed for another day.

you're welcome. Its often advised not to extend their space in the very early days but it doesn't seem like its had a too bad an effect so (personally) I'd leave them as they are but monitor closely.

Hi,

I'm sorry for jumping straight into the forum with a question, but I hope someone can help me.

A month ago we lost a beloved bunny to fly strike, leaving one bunny alone. We have recently used a rabbit rescue centre to help rebond the surviving bunny and we welcomed 2 bunnies back home yesterday. The rabbits stayed in the shed yesterday and today we have let the rabbits into the run. The existing rabbit was straight down the runaround tubes into the run and the new bunny understandably took a little longer. Since the new bunny has been in the run he is constantly sitting on and chasing our existing rabbit (who is running away and hiding from him). Is this normal? I really want this bonding to work, but this is all new to me and I want to make sure I am doing the right thing for the 2 bunnies.

I really hope someone can offer advice. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to RU :wave:

I am sorry you lost your bunny. That sounds awful.

What sex are the bunnies? The new one is male, and your existing one is .....?

If she's not fighting back, things are OK at the moment. He's being a bit domineering :roll:

Was she always subservient, or is she usually feisty?

I'm sorry, I forgot to thank you for they welcome earlier.

She was the more dominant bunny before. I've got to pop out for a few hours tomorrow, would it be a good idea to ask someone to check on them do you think?

I'm sorry, I forgot to thank you for they welcome earlier.

She was the more dominant bunny before. I've got to pop out for a few hours tomorrow, would it be a good idea to ask someone to check on them do you think?

That's OK :)

What about overnight tonight? Will they be shut in a smallish space? How were they overnight last night?

Sorry for all the questions!

The thing is, if you asked someone to check on them, would they know when and how to separate them if needs be?

Watch that she doesn't turn tail and put him (painfully) in his place. It's all sounding OK to me, I wouldn't be worried by what you've said. But keep posting and we'll field all your questions as they come :)

That's OK :)

What about overnight tonight? Will they be shut in a smallish space? How were they overnight last night?

Sorry for all the questions!

The thing is, if you asked someone to check on them, would they know when and how to separate them if needs be?

Watch that she doesn't turn tail and put him (painfully) in his place. It's all sounding OK to me, I wouldn't be worried by what you've said. But keep posting and we'll field all your questions as they come :)

Thank you so much for your advice, I'm feeling slightly less panicky now. They'll both be shut in the shed tonight, as they were last night. They seemed fine last night, both eating hay together this morning.

Hi Pink Panther - no advice to offer I'm afraid as I'm a bunny novice (also currently have a thread about bonding bunnies!!) but will be following with interest. My two have been together 24hours now and it's quite nerve racking! No aggression here, but a definite dominant female and a nervous male who isn't quite sure what is going on!! Fingers crossed they all work it out :)

Hi Pink Panther - no advice to offer I'm afraid as I'm a bunny novice (also currently have a thread about bonding bunnies!!) but will be following with interest. My two have been together 24hours now and it's quite nerve racking! No aggression here, but a definite dominant female and a nervous male who isn't quite sure what is going on!! Fingers crossed they all work it out :)
Ooh, best of luck. I can't believe how nerve racking it is, I wasn't this nervous when my children started nursery!
Poor munch (existing rabbit) looks so fed up. It's for the best long term though

Thank you so much for your advice, I'm feeling slightly less panicky now. They'll both be shut in the shed tonight, as they were last night. They seemed fine last night, both eating hay together this morning.

You're very welcome :)

And try not to panic. I don't know what percent of an owner's panic seeps into a bunny during bonding, but keeping calm seems to make a difference. I put myself into an 'I don't care' Zen-like state when I am bonding :)

And 4paws4 ... Have confidence! Male and Female is a bond I have never known to fail (and I've done hundreds). I know there have been the odd fail with peoples' rabbits, but on the whole it works very well :)

Ooh, best of luck. I can't believe how nerve racking it is, I wasn't this nervous when my children started nursery!
Poor munch (existing rabbit) looks so fed up. It's for the best long term though

Munch will thank you in the end. Put a bottle of Prosecco in the fridge ready to toast their honeymoon :D

Back