• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

'Refreshing' old toys

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Thought I'd share this flash of inspiration I had earlier!

My buns regularly have one of those large woven willow balls. Aboleth LOVES balls, she likes to throw and chew them and the big 7" willow ones are her favourite. Lopsy also plays with them. They'd had a willow ball for much longer than usual (about a week?) and it was still mostly ball shaped but with a big opening I could get my hand in, so I wondered what I could do to make it more interesting.

The buns have carrot peelings as a treat, relatively regularly in summer as I have raw carrots with lunch :) I hang them over the top of the run rungs so they have to reach up at full stretch for them (or wait for the other one to do it and steal it!). Well, today, I did that and then put some in their ball in the playhouse. Aboleth went back inside first and spent ages chewing at it, and poking, rolling and throwing it about to get the carrot strips out :D Definitely on to a winner!

Thought I'd share this flash of inspiration I had earlier!

My buns regularly have one of those large woven willow balls. Aboleth LOVES balls, she likes to throw and chew them and the big 7" willow ones are her favourite. Lopsy also plays with them. They'd had a willow ball for much longer than usual (about a week?) and it was still mostly ball shaped but with a big opening I could get my hand in, so I wondered what I could do to make it more interesting.

The buns have carrot peelings as a treat, relatively regularly in summer as I have raw carrots with lunch :) I hang them over the top of the run rungs so they have to reach up at full stretch for them (or wait for the other one to do it and steal it!). Well, today, I did that and then put some in their ball in the playhouse. Aboleth went back inside first and spent ages chewing at it, and poking, rolling and throwing it about to get the carrot strips out :D Definitely on to a winner!

That's a great idea to revitalise a toy!

Rabbits always love it when something 'new' appears. So exciting :)

Rabbits always love it when something 'new' appears. So exciting :)
And this is the best kind of new :thumb: :lol: Although I have to say, Matt asked me to get some jingly balls to see if they liked them (DemiS' have noisy throw toys and he thought ours might be jealous :roll:), and I thought they didn't like them much because we never hear them and Aboleth was really scared of them at first. But today I discovered tooth marks in the plastic :D Good to see they like all their toys!

And this is the best kind of new :thumb: :lol: Although I have to say, Matt asked me to get some jingly balls to see if they liked them (DemiS' have noisy throw toys and he thought ours might be jealous :roll:), and I thought they didn't like them much because we never hear them and Aboleth was really scared of them at first. But today I discovered tooth marks in the plastic :D Good to see they like all their toys!

I rotate the toys and tunnels, and they seem excited when things come out again.

Can't beat being naughty though, and climbing on things to peek out the window (today's new naughtiness)... :roll:

I rotate the toys and tunnels, and they seem excited when things come out again.

Can't beat being naughty though, and climbing on things to peek out the window (today's new naughtiness)... :roll:
We can't really rotate tunnels, as they use them to get from area to area :lol: But I do swap things out now and again. Especially in winter, to give things time to dry off, or because they're unsuitable for the wet! Balls get replaced after a month if they haven't been destroyed., and they get different sticks every day :) As for climbing on things, mine love doing that! That's why they have their own windowsill :D If they were indoors, in the room I'm currently in, they'd have made it to the ceiling using the shelves by now, I'm sure :S Good luck with that one :D

Back