• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis in vaccinated bunny

Kit06

Young Bun
Has anyone any experience of Myxi in vaccinated bunnies? One of my bunnies is currently suffering with what is thought to be a mild dose of Myxi:cry:He is fully vaccinated and is not suffering too badly yet - just eyes and scabby nose but I'm worried he's going to get worse. Has anyone had one recover from this? I have eye drops and antibiotics for secondary infection. Any advice/support would be appreciated!

Has anyone any experience of Myxi in vaccinated bunnies? One of my bunnies is currently suffering with what is thought to be a mild dose of Myxi:cry:He is fully vaccinated and is not suffering too badly yet - just eyes and scabby nose but I'm worried he's going to get worse. Has anyone had one recover from this? I have eye drops and antibiotics for secondary infection. Any advice/support would be appreciated!

Hello

I have not had any first hand experience of this but some folk on here have. It is very likely that your Rabbit will 'only' have mild symptoms and that he will make a full recovery. Is he also on a Non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam ? This can help reduce swelling and also lower the temperature if Bunny is febrile.

Has your Vet reported the case to the vaccine manufacturer ?

These threads may be useful to take a look at:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-myxomatosis&highlight=myxomatosis+vaccinated

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...rviving-Mixi&highlight=myxomatosis+vaccinated

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...Officially-Well-again!!&highlight=myxomatosis

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear about your rabbit. That's a very worrying situation :(

A non-steroidal anti inflammatory such as Metacam is also recommended in these cases.

The vet should also call the vaccine manufacturers and let them know what has happened to your rabbit.

It's possible the only symptoms your bunny will experience is the scabby nose. This can get worse, but then begins to heal, taking abut 4 - 6 weeks to heal fully.

There have been quite a few cases of this on the Forum here.

If you put 'nodular myxi' into the search facility you will get lots of threads and be able to read what people experienced and how their bunnies coped with it.

Examples:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/Malcolm'sdiary-updatedSummer2011.pdf

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...Officially-Well-again!!&highlight=myxomatosis

Santa has written a thread about her experience with this:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...omatosis-at-invisabuns&highlight=nodular+myxi

and her blog has also got some useful info:

https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com/blog/

(scroll down to July and you'll see what she went through)

Good luck xx

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the advice and links. I will do some reading and get hold of some Metacam!

Hi, I was out all day yesterday, so didn't see this. I have experience of Myx in a vaccinated rabbit. It is, as you say, very worrying as the symptoms and severity will vary from rabbit to rabbit and at the beginning of the disease it's not evident how it's going to progress.

My rabbit began with a swelling above one eye. He was completely well in himself at this stage. My vet was undecided as to the cause and suspected an insect sting, but Myx was also considered. This developed over the next 3-4 days, when the other eye became mildly swollen and he started to refuse food, which was very unusual for him. The vet then decided that it was almost certainly Myx. He was already on eye drops and Metacam and she added injectable Penicillin every other day to cover secondary infections. I was syringe-feeding him. He deteriorated over the next few days in that he became very lethargic. It was discussed at that stage whether he should have been admitted to the vets, but I opted to nurse him at home. He very slowly improved and began to nibble Sow Thistle (his favourite food) and then would eat a small amount of Willow also. He was still on the same medication and was still being syringe-fed at this stage. The original swelling became more of a hard lump, which eventually scabbed and was then "helped" to fall off by my vet. He eventually became completely well again. This all happened three years ago this month. All that now remains is a scar above the eye and he is completely well otherwise (he's 7 years old).

If you wish to ask any questions, I'd be happy to try to help.

How are things looking today? :wave:

Sorry for late reply! He's still doing well. I'm using eye drops, baytril and metacam twice daily. Not much change to eye - not getting worse. other eye ok, few scabs round base of ears, nose very scabby and swollen BUT eating, drinking grooming normally - maybe a bit more subdued but not massively. I'm just going to keep going, foraging for tasty treats for him etc and see if we can ride it out. How long might it take? He's on day 7 now and it's not getting dramatically worse. The only thing I'm concerned about is the swelling round his nose making it hard to breathe but there is no congestion or snot and you can only hear it when he's stressed when handled. Just hoping he can keep fighting it!

Sorry for late reply! He's still doing well. I'm using eye drops, baytril and metacam twice daily. Not much change to eye - not getting worse. other eye ok, few scabs round base of ears, nose very scabby and swollen BUT eating, drinking grooming normally - maybe a bit more subdued but not massively. I'm just going to keep going, foraging for tasty treats for him etc and see if we can ride it out. How long might it take? He's on day 7 now and it's not getting dramatically worse. The only thing I'm concerned about is the swelling round his nose making it hard to breathe but there is no congestion or snot and you can only hear it when he's stressed when handled. Just hoping he can keep fighting it!

It can take several weeks for a Rabbit to fully recover. It sounds as though he is coping reasonably will at the moment. Is he due to be examined by the Vet again soon. Listening to his lungs would be a good idea to make sure there is no obvious signs of a secondary bacterial infection there. I would also keep a close eye on his weight- ie weigh him every couple of days. If he can maintain his weight that would be a very encouraging sign.

Another member of RU, Santa, relatively recently nursed a Rabbit through Myxomatosis. Santa does not have time to visit the forum much now, but she did keep a blog of her experience nursing the Bunny, aswell as details of her awful experience of an RHD2 outbreak. You may have already seen the blog, details about the Myxomatosis case (Delilah) starts on 22nd July 2016.

https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com/blog/

Thanks Jack's-Jane. I think I read about Delilah in this season's Rabbiting On magazine - sounded horrendous and can't believe she survived!

Still going....don't want to jinx things but looking pretty perky now. No new scabs, eye doesn't look bad at all. Fingers crossed!

Thanks Jack's-Jane. I think I read about Delilah in this season's Rabbiting On magazine - sounded horrendous and can't believe she survived!

Indeed it was win Rabbiting On :D

It can take a lot of intensive nursing to get them through that x

Back