Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: newborn kits and mother rabbit

Wise Old Thumper

Hello again. Mums vary in their cleanliness of their nests. Some keep it very clean and at this stage the babies themselves won't be making any mess. The problem sometimes is Mum herself who will wee very close to the nest and you need to keep your eye on this. I have usually left the nest unattended until babies start to venture out, unless the Doe has been particularly messy then I have intervened. Can you see where Mum is doing her toilet? This cold weather it is best to leave things but top up with soft hay like you are doing and Mum should re-line the nest when she feels it needs it. She is a very young Mum though so take that into consideration. I am glad you've been able to move the hutch into a more sheltered position.

The nest itself is very clean. We have a litter tray the opposite end of the hutch and she does quite well going in there or in the main area where she sits, which we obviously clean. I haven't seen any droppings or wee in the nest itself, so that's good. Fingers crossed it's ticking along nicely.

Thanks Tonibun 😃

Hi again. Well the babies are now 11 days old and in the little peeks we have had, they seem to be doing well and grown amazingly. We have seen 2 of them briefly venture out of the nest then tuck back in again. They are soooo cute
    Dad was spayed last Tuesday and is doing fine too. He has been kept inside in a large enclosure overnight and roaming round the kitchen or garden (when it's his turn) during the day. Vet said he can still conceive for at least 6 weeks so staying apart still, but they are still able see and smell each other.

Had a close shave a couple of days ago though, mum was in the garden while dad was inside. I saw a cat on the fence looking down at mum and wasn't sure how this would go so dashed out, unfortunately followed by the lightning dad, making a beeline for mum. She dashed behind the bike shed, closely followed by him. I wasn't sure whether to be concerned they'd fight as they'd been apart for a while or mate! All was okay though, he was coaxed out quickly with a bit of cabbage and my daughter watched them all the time, they didn't mate, phew!

Now the babies are venturing out of the nest a question please. Mum and the babies are upstairs in our 2-tier hutch and dad is downstairs (although he's been inside since the op, will probably go back out today as the vet said it is okay). When mum is out we have been putting bales of hay at the entrance to make stepping stones for her. We did make a ramp but she wasn't keen to use it, preferred to jump so we used the hay. We are concerned that if babies venture out as far as the main living area and mum is out, the door is open and they may fall out. Is it okay to relocate mum and babies downstairs and put dad up? We would make sure mum was with us so she could see where babies are and understand they are now downstairs. If so, can we freshen up the nest with new material, keeping mums hair as much as possible, or should we keep as much of the original material as possible because of the scent.

Thank you.

Wise Old Thumper

Hello there. I was thinking about you and babies just earlier so am glad you have posted. So pleased babies are doing well and the scare you had sounded very familiar. I hope the cat doesn't become a nuisance, it probably smells the babies! I don't think it a good idea to move Mum and babies just yet, it might be ok, but I personally wouldn't risk disorientating Mum just at this stage. If Mum wants to go out then I would close the door so babies are safe and then open it when you want to get Mum in. She won't need to go back in for the duration of her free-range time. Pleased to hear Dad is recovering well from his op, bless him. Going back to moving Mum, any change for the babies tends to set them back. This is what I have read so I've always followed this. But you can clean up a bit if the nest needs it. Mum will probably drink slightly more at the moment as you may have noticed.

Thanks very much for your reply Tonibun (and for thinking of us). The cat in question I only ever see walking along the fence at the bottom for our 60 foot garden, and the babies are up by the house, so hopefully it's not aware of the babies. All the same, we're being very careful.

Thanks, I'll take your advice and not move the nest then. We can close the door when mum is out. I just thought it might stress her not being able to get to the babies, but that's fine if it's the best way. We tend to let mum and dad have an hour each then do a swap.

The nest is still staying quite clean, we have just picked up some of mum's dropping occasionally. Yes, she seems to be eating and drinking well.

Many thanks for your advice.

Another question i'm afraid. We have decided to get another 2-tier hutch to house dad for the time being as when babies start moving out of the nest more often we don't feel just the upstairs is enough space for them and mum. Are the babies generally okay managing the slope to the downstairs straight away do you know please. Don't like the thought of them falling down or going down then being unable to get back up. Thanks very much.

Wise Old Thumper

I have never had this situation but would imagine babies could easily slip down the ramp. I think if you were to put lots of hay, say, down the ramp, then if a baby does slip down it won't hurt itself. Baby rabbits are very adventurous and don't seem to have any idea of danger, they are very quick also! Just a thought - if you can get one of those tubes, not plastic, from PAH and attach it to the ramp then that would make it much safer as it should block the gap.

Thanks for that Tonibun. I think what I might do is put up a wall, kind of like a bannister, so that they can only access the slope from the top and not fall down the gap. I spoke to someone today who had baby rabbits and did that, seemed to work. I'll put the hay down too as you suggest. Many thanks.

Hi again. Hope everyone had a nice Christmas. Just thought I would post an update. Baby buns are doing great, nearly 5 weeks old now and sooo cute. Mum and dad have both been spayed and doing well. We have decided to keep two and family friends are having the other two, so we’ll still be able to see them, works well. Best wishes for the new year.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Alison67 View Post
    Hi again. Hope everyone had a nice Christmas. Just thought I would post an update. Baby buns are doing great, nearly 5 weeks old now and sooo cute. Mum and dad have both been spayed and doing well. We have decided to keep two and family friends are having the other two, so we’ll still be able to see them, works well. Best wishes for the new year.
    A lovely update