Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: newborn kits and mother rabbit

Default newborn kits and mother rabbit

hi
    sorry in advance for what might be a simple question but......

my 14 month of bunny had her babies this morning, it was her first time and she did amazing delivering all 7 kits into a blue ribbon nest. The problem I am having is that Minnie (mother) seems to be making very very loud gurgling noises coming from her stomach. She had not been eating a lot for the last week but still grazed and now the babies are born her stomach is gurgling very loud! she is eating a little more and drinking but I am just worried that this is not normal and she is in some sort of danger?

I have been in contact with my vet and they are happy that as long as she is eating even a little and drinking that she is doing ok.

Is this a normal behaviour/sound after they have given birth?

thank you in advance, xx

Quote Originally Posted by lyndsayb View Post
    hi
    sorry in advance for what might be a simple question but......

my 14 month of bunny had her babies this morning, it was her first time and she did amazing delivering all 7 kits into a blue ribbon nest. The problem I am having is that Minnie (mother) seems to be making very very loud gurgling noises coming from her stomach. She had not been eating a lot for the last week but still grazed and now the babies are born her stomach is gurgling very loud! she is eating a little more and drinking but I am just worried that this is not normal and she is in some sort of danger?

I have been in contact with my vet and they are happy that as long as she is eating even a little and drinking that she is doing ok.

Is this a normal behaviour/sound after they have given birth?

thank you in advance, xx

HI there and welcome to the Forum

I agree with your vet, so long as she is eating and drinking she doesn't sound in immediate danger. Can you give her some treats? More pellets or dry food, perhaps some strong smelling herbs such as dill, parsley, coriander or mint? Or perhaps some freshly picked grass or rose leaves or bramble leaves? Anything tempting to help keep her stomach contents moving?

There's a bit more info here in case you need it:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...king-on-Babies

http://www.rabbit.org/care/babies.html

http://www.curiousbunny.com/newborn_rabbits_detail.pdf

I should ring the vet in the morning if her input *and output* hasn't increased.
    Output is as important as what she's eating!

Thank you Mighty Max

Thank you Mighty Max

You're welcome

Mama Doe

I would want her to be examined properly and as a matter of urgency. The gurgling is not normal and could be a precursor to stasis, which is really serious. Any rabbit which is not eating properly needs a vet visit to assess why it is not eating and treat accordingly, especially one who has had the additional stress of pregnancy and birth. She should be eating more in order to feed her kits as well as herself. As the kits are totally reliant on mum, it is essential that she is able to look after them and is fully fit herself.

You may have to take mum and kits in together - but I would seek advice on this as she may not like the kits being moved or touched - or it may be advised to just take mum.

Thank you, Minnie is doing much better the gurgling has stopped and she has taken to eating a little more again! Her poops are a little sticky but not runny and she is cleaning herself up well and looking after the kits well.

I checked this morning and all were still alive and warm but didn't look like they had been fed, upon moving back the fur Minnie jumped in her nest and let them feed for quite a while and let me stroke her while she was doing so. All kits looked fatter and clean and Minnie is looking brighter and happier, she is just having a run around the kitchen as we speak!

Thank you x

Mama Doe

I'm glad to hear she is looking better today. Minnie needs to have unlimited food at the moment. I hope she continues to improve and the kits thrive.

Thank you shimmer, she has enjoyed free range of the house and is pooping normal hay ball poops now as well as eating more, I will of course give her unlimited food as well as hay and water and she is loving the fresh veggies she is used to.

Once I can figure out how to upload pictures I will do of both kits and Minnie and managed to get a lovely one of her on her nest while feeding.

Thank you x

Thank you shimmer, she has enjoyed free range of the house and is pooping normal hay ball poops now as well as eating more, I will of course give her unlimited food as well as hay and water and she is loving the fresh veggies she is used to.

Once I can figure out how to upload pictures I will do of both kits and Minnie and managed to get a lovely one of her on her nest while feeding.

Thank you x

These links may help you with posting photos:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...nother-website

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...to-Post-Photos

Photobucket isn't working, so you may have to register with Imgur or another photo-hosting site

Default Kits due to arrive very soon

Hi,
    Can anyone help with some advice please. We are new to owning rabbits and have a pair who are 4 months old. They have done the inevitable and just yesterday we spotted the female taking mouthfulls of grass into their hutch, starting to build a nest. We said from the start that we would let them have this one litter then get the ops done.

We have had such conflicting advice and would like some help please. Firstly, will the kits be okay outside in the hutch with mum or is it too cold? We live in London but have had some heavy frosts the last couple of days and very cold nights. Some have told me to leave her to her own devices and others have said to bring them indoors (which will be quite tricky with lack of space). We have added shredded paper, extra straw and hay to the existing wood chip and straw bedding in the bedroom area where she has already put grass from the garden. will this be warm enough? Is a nesting box necessary, or as she has already started putting grass in the bedroom area do we just leave it as it is?

Also, do we need to separate mum and the kits from dad? Apart from the obvious risk of her falling pregnant again, which we intend to avoid, some advice has said they should be separated from dad as mum might eat the kits if dad is around, whilst other advice has said generally dads are fine. We have a 2-tier hutch so if necessary mum and the kits can have upstairs and dad downstairs and let them out into the garden separately. However, if we do separate them, will they be warm enough outside at night without each other to keep them warm? Am I just over worrying? Such a lot to think about 🤔🤔

I would really appreciate any help.

Many thanks.