Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bunny with a bite

Default Bunny with a bite

Hey,

I went out today to check on my little noctis and saw he had a medium sized red bite or lump on his nose that wasn't there yesterday, he has been vaccinated for RHD and myxomatosis, he is currently waiting to be vaccinated for RHD 2. Should I be worried about this bite/lump?

Thanks
    Owner of Noctis

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
    Hey,

I went out today to check on my little noctis and saw he had a medium sized red bite or lump on his nose that wasn't there yesterday, he has been vaccinated for RHD and myxomatosis, he is currently waiting to be vaccinated for RHD 2. Should I be worried about this bite/lump?

Thanks
    Owner of Noctis
    Hello

How long ago was the Myxo-RHD Vaccine given ? On very rare occasions a Rabbit can have a reaction to the Vaccine which can present as a 'mild' form of Myxomatosis

''In very rare cases the appearance of mild clinical signs of myxomatosis may occur within 3 weeks of vaccination. Recent or latent infection with field myxoma virus seems to play a role in this to a certain extent''.

Full details here:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455496
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Banned

Hey,

Thanks
    Owner of Noctis

Hi there Noctis and welcome to the Forum

Does he live with another rabbit?

If not, it could be a reaction to the vaccination. It's quite rare, but has been know to happen.

More info here:

Have you called your vet and told them about it? They may want to check that it's a reaction that will settle down.

Hi,
    thank you for the replies,

his Vaccinations were about a week ago now and he doesn't live with other rabbit. if it is the vaccination what does this mean for him, is his life in danger? I am calling the vets in the afternoon, as i'm at work atm and i'm not aloud to make calls till lunch time

Wise Old Thumper

Hi,

his Vaccinations were about a week ago now and he doesn't live with other rabbit. if it is the vaccination what does this mean for him, is his life in danger? I am calling the vets in the afternoon, as i'm at work atm and i'm not aloud to make calls till lunch time
    His life is very unlikely to be in danger. If and it is an 'if' it is a vaccine reaction then the symptomsa are usually mild and fully resolve. I expect your Vet will want to see your Rabbit as it is not possible to diagnose the problem without being able to see it. My suggestion of it being a vaccine reaction was just a possibility, not a certainty.
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

There are some images I was able get of the lump, but I don't know how to post them up.
    Last edited by Noctis; 30-08-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Wise Old Thumper

There are some images I was able get of the lump, but I don't know how to post them up.
    This thread may help

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...to-Post-Photos

thank you

here they are -

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    A dutch bunny named Noctis Lucis Caelum, or Noct for short 😁 .
    Estimated birthday🐰♂ - (7/2/2017)

For more cute pics -
    www.instagram.com/king_noctis_the_dutch/

Wise Old Thumper

thank you

here they are -

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    It may be the start of a Myxo nodule, but it really is impossible to say for certain just from a photo. Best wait for the Vet to take a look. I'd take a printout of the vaccine data sheet with you incase the Vet says it cant be a vaccine reaction. Unfortunately some Vets dont seem to read the data sheet in full.

Here's the link to the data sheet that I posted before

Banned

Hi,

If it's a reaction to the vaccine, then it's really unlikely that his life will be in danger. Symptoms are usually very mild and transient, so don't worry!

I would see what your vet says, and if possible, take him in for a look