• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor house rabbit ideas

NixNax

Young Bun
I have a 4 month old french lop. At the moment her base is an extra large dog crate and while we're around she has free roaming of our lounge. I want her to eventually be able to go upstairs and downstairs around the house but will gradually build up the areas as she gets litter trained in each new area. As shes grown, shes managed to reach higher places than i thought she would and im worried when i go back to work, if shes left out she might hurt herself trying to reach new places, for example our tv unit which is almost my shoulder height! So the plan is I'll extend her base by joining another dog crate on and get a pen to attach while im out. Shes a bar climber too so would a sheet pegged onto the top of a pen be enough or is there anything else i could use to stop her getting out? Or would something better than a pen work? Some days she's happy just hopping around the carpet and then on her mischievous days i can see her eyeing up her new challenge!ive looked at the housing ideas thread but wondered if anyone had any other ideas that aren't on there.

The only other thing I can suggest is a custom made housing area for her, with a built lid. (Manor Pet Housing and Boyles Pet Housing are good places to look). My only concern is her breed, she's still got growing to do and will quickly outgrow any pen that is made. Could you rabbit proof a room for her to live in instead?

You may also find after neutering that her finding a challenge side will calm down. (No gaurentee obviously)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a 4 month old french lop. At the moment her base is an extra large dog crate and while we're around she has free roaming of our lounge. I want her to eventually be able to go upstairs and downstairs around the house but will gradually build up the areas as she gets litter trained in each new area. As shes grown, shes managed to reach higher places than i thought she would and im worried when i go back to work, if shes left out she might hurt herself trying to reach new places, for example our tv unit which is almost my shoulder height! So the plan is I'll extend her base by joining another dog crate on and get a pen to attach while im out. Shes a bar climber too so would a sheet pegged onto the top of a pen be enough or is there anything else i could use to stop her getting out? Or would something better than a pen work? Some days she's happy just hopping around the carpet and then on her mischievous days i can see her eyeing up her new challenge!ive looked at the housing ideas thread but wondered if anyone had any other ideas that aren't on there.
Hi.

We have our buns in two huge dog crates with a pen attached. Our tiny netherland dwarves can jump out, but have only done so by accident when doing a mega binky! They always seem surprised they are on the other side!
We thought about a sheet like you, but as I started putting one up they thought it was a fun challenge and jumped onto it whilst I was installing it! So we decided against that.

They are more mischievous when we are around and have recently decided to launch themselves on the coffee table! I wouldn't trust them outside of the pen whilst we are at work!

I think if your bun is a jumper a bespoke pen with a lid might be a good idea xx

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I did wonder about whether the sheet would work or not. I know she'll definitly climb over the top if theres nothing stopping her. My kids call her spider rabbit because of how she climbs then jumps down. I didnt know you could get lidded pens for indoors so I'll look into them, hope i can get something thst folds up for when we're around. Trixies favourite trick is jumping onto the back of the sofa then launching across to the dining table! Thank you both for the ideas. My lounge is gradually becoming surrounded with bunny things!

I did wonder about whether the sheet would work or not. I know she'll definitly climb over the top if theres nothing stopping her. My kids call her spider rabbit because of how she climbs then jumps down. I didnt know you could get lidded pens for indoors so I'll look into them, hope i can get something thst folds up for when we're around. Trixies favourite trick is jumping onto the back of the sofa then launching across to the dining table! Thank you both for the ideas. My lounge is gradually becoming surrounded with bunny things!
You will soon realise it's no longer a lounge but a bunny room! Haha good luck finding a pen for spider bun.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

If you message those two companies directly, they can make you something bespoke to suit your needs, available space etc but be sure to point out she's a giant breed, they'll probably only agree to something that's around 80 sqft in space.

Sorry for slow reply, ive been away and then straight back to work. Since i originally posted she can now reach my tv unit so am looking at ideas quickly. I love the manor pet housing rabbit homes. I'll make sure i mention shes a giant breed, and see what the options might be -dont think weve got 80 square foot in our lounge for a rabbit base. I'll look into those dog pens too. Might need a quick solution before we go for a better one!

Sorry for slow reply, ive been away and then straight back to work. Since i originally posted she can now reach my tv unit so am looking at ideas quickly. I love the manor pet housing rabbit homes. I'll make sure i mention shes a giant breed, and see what the options might be -dont think weve got 80 square foot in our lounge for a rabbit base. I'll look into those dog pens too. Might need a quick solution before we go for a better one!
I hope you had a nice time away :)

I forgot to say, you could always look to build a couple shelves in the set up with a roof to add to the floor space.

Thank you. We're going to rearrange our lounge and see what space we then have. I want something suitable for her when shes fully grown and for when we get her a friend after she's spayed so definitely need a good sized base for her. I didnt realise there was so much choice for indoor rabbit homes!

Back