• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help hopefully Jack's-jane

Yet another question I have noticed that both of the girls have fur loss on their hocks Emma is just a little but phoebe has quite a lot of hair loss do I need to do anything other than deep hay what about free ranging the spare room I can pretty much seal off but the rest of the house is wood/carpet what do you all do if they are having access to carpet? I am probably being paranoid but I don't want them getting sore hocka if I can help it and considering they have been kept on woodshavings for the last month there is already more hair loss than I would like I feel blessed to have them and I want to do the best for them it's already a bit to cold to put them outside but is outdoor living better for Rex bunnies if they can be on grass or is it a catch 22 situation sorry for all the posts but as you can tell i'm going through the new mum stage,

Yet another question I have noticed that both of the girls have fur loss on their hocks Emma is just a little but phoebe has quite a lot of hair loss do I need to do anything other than deep hay what about free ranging the spare room I can pretty much seal off but the rest of the house is wood/carpet what do you all do if they are having access to carpet? I am probably being paranoid but I don't want them getting sore hocka if I can help it and considering they have been kept on woodshavings for the last month there is already more hair loss than I would like I feel blessed to have them and I want to do the best for them it's already a bit to cold to put them outside but is outdoor living better for Rex bunnies if they can be on grass or is it a catch 22 situation sorry for all the posts but as you can tell i'm going through the new mum stage,

Unfortunately if a Rex has significant fur loss on their hocks at just a few months of age it is likely to be in part due to genetics. Some breed lines just have 'sore hocks' in them.

As previously mentioned, my personal opinion based on 18+ years of caring for Rexes is that I would never keep any Rex on a carpeted flooring. Someone will no doubt be along to say that this is rubbish,there will always be someone who will claim they have kept Rexes on carpet since God was a boy and there was never a problem !! Each to their own, I am just giving my opinion :)

Lino can cause problems too as it does not allow the plantar region of the Rabbit's back feet and their toes to 'mould' into the ground. So the Rabbit takes more pressure on the back of the foot/hocks.

If having them on all hay indoors is not an option, which is quite understandable,I live in a stable not a house :lol: ,then perhaps in the longterm the girls would be better housed as outdoor Rabbits ?

I am quite happy to keep them outside its just I'm a little worried about it being to cold at the minute to put them outside I could definitely organise it for next spring also they haven't had in vaccinations at present i have a big enough garden that they could be kept outside if I was to get them a shed

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

I am quite happy to keep them outside its just I'm a little worried about it being to cold at the minute to put them outside I could definitely organise it for next spring also they haven't had in vaccinations at present i have a big enough garden that they could be kept outside if I was to get them a shed

A short term solution then could be to cover the carpeted area they have access to with old sheets/duvet covers. This will reduce the abrasiveness of the surface.

Thank you I will try that until I can get them outside I'm stressing that I'm maybe not the right owner for them but I'm going to do my best for them I just hope it's good enough

Could a Cotton sheet over carpet help prevent friction on the hocks JJ? Edit: ignore me. Just seen you put similar above :)

No advice, just wanted to say they are beautiful and I'm so glad someone who knows the breed and can provide them the correct home etc has got them.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you I will try that until I can get them outside I'm stressing that I'm maybe not the right owner for them but I'm going to do my best for them I just hope it's good enough

I would actually urge you to relax a little about them :)

Whilst it's certainly true that Rexes can suffer quite badly from sore hocks, they don't always and also they are not the only breed that can have this issue. I think Contis can have the issue and probably any rabbit that is not cared for properly and is overweight with overgrown nails could, I imagine, have sore hocks. You are aware of the possibilities and so will care for them accordingly. On the plus side, Rexes. because of their jaw shape, are not prone to have dental disease, which for me is a massive plus. Mind you, they consume so much hay, that it's possible that they would not have dental problems anyway. However, there isn't the soul-searching and trepidation experienced when someone takes on a Mini Lop or Dwarf Lop for instance, both of which can be prone to have dental issues.

Enjoy your beautiful girlies :)

I would actually urge you to relax a little about them :)

Whilst it's certainly true that Rexes can suffer quite badly from sore hocks, they don't always and also they are not the only breed that can have this issue. I think Contis can have the issue and probably any rabbit that is not cared for properly and is overweight with overgrown nails could, I imagine, have sore hocks. You are aware of the possibilities and so will care for them accordingly. On the plus side, Rexes. because of their jaw shape, are not prone to have dental disease, which for me is a massive plus. Mind you, they consume so much hay, that it's possible that they would not have dental problems anyway. However, there isn't the soul-searching and trepidation experienced when someone takes on a Mini Lop or Dwarf Lop for instance, both of which can be prone to have dental issues.

Enjoy your beautiful girlies :)

:thumb:

Prepare for a roasting... How dare you... From a pet stop? Oh wait I did a similar thing last week [emoji14] I went in for some hay etc and saw a tiny black rex bunny on her own they said no one wanted her which imo seemed impossible [emoji14] so yea I have no advice really altho I do now own 3 rexes haha but the picture you posted is gorgeous I'm so glad they've got a great home with you :) x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Prepare for a roasting... How dare you... From a pet stop? Oh wait I did a similar thing last week [emoji14] I went in for some hay etc and saw a tiny black rex bunny on her own they said no one wanted her which imo seemed impossible [emoji14] so yea I have no advice really altho I do now own 3 rexes haha but the picture you posted is gorgeous I'm so glad they've got a great home with you :) x

We can roast the pair of you together Gracie :lol:

Not everyone gets roasted for where they obtain their Rabbits. I can assure you that I am done to a crisp these days !! Certainly char grilled anyway !!

Not everyone gets roasted for where they obtain their Rabbits. I can assure you that I am done to a crisp these days !! Certainly char grilled anyway !!
I know :) to be honest it's no one's business where people get their pets - I personally tend to opt not to buy from pets at home just because normally they aren't in great health/condition :( I mean ima post some pictures on a new thread in a bit about some missing bits of fur on my new ones face - managed to get her to stop sneezing though now she's not on saw dust haha but that's just my opinion didn't stop me bringing the new one home haha x

I know :) to be honest it's no one's business where people get their pets - I personally tend to opt not to buy from pets at home just because normally they aren't in great health/condition :( I mean ima post some pictures on a new thread in a bit about some missing bits of fur on my new ones face - managed to get her to stop sneezing though now she's not on saw dust haha but that's just my opinion didn't stop me bringing the new one home haha x

You're right :D

I am on the rack for so many things, but no-one knows where my rabbits come from, so certainly not for that :lol:

Whilst I am no fan of PAH I know of far, far worse Pet Shops. One local to me is beyond awful :cry:

..... but there is the adoption section. They are bunnies in need! Perhaps you should go see now ;):lol:

Willowflower, apologies for the hijacking of your thread !

Just shout if you need any more help . I hope the girls are continuing to settle in well :)

Back