• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bank Holiday Stasis! Update page 7.

hoppin_mad

Young Bun
So today I have had my first (and hopefully last) experience of stasis.

I noticed this morning that my 15 month old doe Delilah had not produced any droppings over night. She was also very lethargic and reluctant to eat or drink anything.

We took her to the out of hours vet, who confirmed stasis. She had reduced gut sounds and he said her belly felt empty. He did her blood glucose there and administered a bolus of fluid under the skin.

We have been sent away with metacam, ranitidine, metoclopramide and critical care. I am syringe feeding her a little bit every hour until bedtime, and then the vet suggested feeding her 3 hourly over night.

She has been at home for 7 hours now and I am not seeing much improvement - is there anything else I should be doing?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that Delilah has Stasis. It's excellent that you have had her examined by a vet and have the correct medication to give to her. I would agree with the advice that you have been given.

I think, as well as syringe-feeding her, I would keep trying to tempt her with foods. Things like Dandelion, Brambles, Rose leaves, freshly cut Grass as well as any strong-smelling herbs like Coriander, Basil, Thyme, Dill. Parsley sometimes will be nibbled.

I hope she is feeling better soon.

Sorry your wee bun is in stasis. It's very worrying isn't it. Sounds like you and your vet have alot covered. Did your vet rule out a blocafe? Make sure Delilah is kept warm also. I found any time my buns were in stasis dandelion leaves were very temping firstly then herbs like corriander or parsley. Sending vibes x

Thank you for replying so quickly. I'm glad the vet's advice was sound. It was an out of hours vet that we hadn't used before so I was really concerned they wouldn't be very rabbit savvy.

I'm trying to stay positive but I am really quite worried. She isn't herself and I am really scared she won't make it through the night :cry:

If you find by morning that she isn't improving and is maybe teeth grinding (sign of pain ) she may need stronger pain relief. How much metacam did your vet prescribe and how often? Is it the dog or cat metacam and what weight is your bun? You r doing everything you can for her x

Hello. I'm sorry your rabbit is not feeling very well. Was the blockage ruled out? Did they check her teeth for molar spurs? Also did they give you any pain meds to administer at home? It's very important, because if rabbit is in pain, he just won't eat. Try to give her some fragrant herbs, like dill or basil leaves, this sometimes helps to make them eat again. Don't forget to give her some water from syringe, hydration is very important too. Recovery from stasis can sometimes be quite long, so just have some patience. Hope your rabbit gets better soon [emoji4]

Išsiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

The vet prescribed 0.6ml once a day. She is 1.6kg. She had her teeth checked 3 weeks ago and there wasn't any obvious problems then. The vet ruled out a blockage by touch - I did ask if she required an X-ray and he didn't think she did. I guess we need to get her out of the woods and then we can investigate the cause? I am taking her to our normal vet tomorrow for further advice.

So today I have had my first (and hopefully last) experience of stasis.

I noticed this morning that my 15 month old doe Delilah had not produced any droppings over night. She was also very lethargic and reluctant to eat or drink anything.

We took her to the out of hours vet, who confirmed stasis. She had reduced gut sounds and he said her belly felt empty. He did her blood glucose there and administered a bolus of fluid under the skin.

We have been sent away with metacam, ranitidine, metoclopramide and critical care. I am syringe feeding her a little bit every hour until bedtime, and then the vet suggested feeding her 3 hourly over night.

She has been at home for 7 hours now and I am not seeing much improvement - is there anything else I should be doing?

Thank you in advance!

Hi there and sorry to hear about Delilah (beautiful name :love:)

Can you remember what the vet said her blood glucose was?

Did he take her temperature?

I would also add in Infacol. Many of us have good experience of using it :)

Infacol.co.uk

I would also do tummy rubs. Good luck and well done for your fast action xx

ETA - in case they are of any use ...

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

Hi there and sorry to hear about Delilah (beautiful name :love:)

Can you remember what the vet said her blood glucose was?

Did he take her temperature?

I would also add in Infacol. Many of us have good experience of using it :)

Infacol.co.uk

I would also do tummy rubs. Good luck and well done for your fast action xx

ETA - in case they are of any use ...

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

He didn't take her temperature actually but her blood glucose was 11.2. How often do you give the infacol and how much?

I feel so awful for all the syringe feeding - Dilly hates it :( If only you could explain to them that you are trying to make them better!

He didn't take her temperature actually but her blood glucose was 11.2. How often do you give the infacol and how much?

I feel so awful for all the syringe feeding - Dilly hates it :( If only you could explain to them that you are trying to make them better!

Good to hear that blood glucose result :)

Infacol - 1ml every hour for three doses, and then subsequently three doses a day (of 1ml each)

Tummy rubs are fine, as there's no blockage. That can really turn things around fast :)

How is Dilly feeling this morning ? Any output yet ?

How is Dilly feeling this morning ? Any output yet ?

Morning, No output and she is still very lethargic. Her external body temperature feels quite cold too. I am going to ring our vets as soon as it opens and take her down there - I think she might need a bit more help than what I'm giving her :(

Morning, No output and she is still very lethargic. Her external body temperature feels quite cold too. I am going to ring our vets as soon as it opens and take her down there - I think she might need a bit more help than what I'm giving her :(

Oh dear :cry:

Can you provide her with a heat pad. As she is so poorly she will not be able to keep herself warm. I hope the Vet can help her xx

As we speak I am wrapping a hot water bottle up in a towel to give her. I am praying that she pulls through - she is usually such a feisty bunny.

They don't know it yet, but just this weekend I have ordered them a custom made 7ft hutch and run! I can't help but think it was a bad omen :(

Sending loads of vibes for Delilah and I hope your vet can help her this morning.

Thank you. The vet will see her at 9:15. Any ideas as to what else they might try? Or have I not given it long enough with the current regime yet?

The water bottle is good, did you try to get any dandilion leaves and herbs ?? I have had very sick buns eat a little of those. I think extra pain relief is required such as tramadol or vetergesic . Also ask your vet about cisapride it's a gut stimulant which I always found worked better than metacolpramide but not all vets keep this. Not long til vets now. Hope r they can help. X

The water bottle is good, did you try to get any dandilion leaves and herbs ?? I have had very sick buns eat a little of those. I think extra pain relief is required such as tramadol or vetergesic . Also ask your vet about cisapride it's a gut stimulant which I always found worked better than metacolpramide but not all vets keep this. Not long til vets now. Hope r they can help. X

I've tried herbs with no luck. I have every faith in my vet - they are very good (and often recommended on here). I am now trying desperately to tire out my 10 week old puppy so I don't have to take her with me too! Nightmare.

It's great that you have a good vet. It does sometimes take a few days for a rabbit to improve and of course it's necessary to continue with the gut medication during that time. The vet will be able to decide what to do once he's examined her. He may decide to keep her in to stabilise her if she's a bit cold. He may also give additional fluids.

Let us know how you get on.

Back