• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange behaviour - mesmerized rabbits

Lagomorphine

Warren Scout
I was wondering if anybody has seen this and has an idea of what is going on.

Our two rabbits, Willow and Charlie have been living side by side for about two months now. My initial attempts at bonding did not go well, they always ended up fighting with Willow requiring some veterinary attention after the last attempt, and after that incident I decided to give the whole thing a rest. So they've been living parallel lives for a while now ("like the hostages in The OA", as one of my colleagues put it...).

But I haven't given up, so recently I started letting them out together with very close supervision. (I have a soft plastic broom with very fine bristles and whenever they look confrontational I stick the brush in between them. It seems to work. My wife says it looks like I'm playing croquet.)

In the last few days I had to intervene less and less and there doesn't seem to be too much aggression between Willow and Charlie. They have however developed a weird habit. They graze quite happily side by side for a few minutes, then suddenly they both turn towards each other and sort of bury their heads in the other's fur. They lie on the grass, completely motionless, hear-to-head, almost perfectly symmetrical, with each of them sliding his/her head sideways under the other's body up to the front legs. There is no movement, no action, no licking, in fact they seem almost mesmerized. The only thing I can see (and I'm not too sure about this either) is that both of them seem to be panting. Their bodies don't seem tense, in fact Willow tends to kick her legs behind her. The whole thing lasts about a minute or so, then one of them breaks the magic and they separate. There is no sign of aggression, biting, fur pulling but there is no affection either.

I'm not quite what to make of this - is this perhaps some kind of "lick me", "no, you lick me", "no, you lick me" stalemate that resolves itself?

Last edited:
I think from what you're describing, our pair did that when they first started bonding. I don't know what's going on, whether it's grooming or dominance related, so I'll leave it to someone with more knowledge to explain :) But it definitely sounds like something ours did, so I wouldn't worry about it!

It sounds like they are still competing for top dog spot. The behaviour you describe is a request to be groomed & its sometimes a dominance thing. Promising that they are no longer wanting to kill each other though

Thanks for the suggestions. I think you are both right. They haven't got worked out who is the dominant party. Well, it will be interesting to see how it works out. I somehow doubt Charlie will either accept Willow's dominance or want to be top dog. He's kind of "stand-offish". Keep your distance and I won't trouble you either. Having said that... it's complicated. Today they mutually showered each other with urine, yet there was no fight and they seem to prefer to be fairly close to each other. I don't think they know what to do with each other. Fascinating.

Back