• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Officially given up on bonding River

catherine09

Mama Doe
Today was her 10th failed bonding attempt. I've been to 4 rescues all over the south and been trying for the past 14 months to get her a friend, each time hoping the next bunny would be the right one.

I don't quite know what that means for her - I've always said I would never keep a single bunny outside and she can't come inside as OH is allergic.

Either way, I'm just devastated. I just so wanted her to have a friend. I hate seeing her on her own. Completely defeated and I know I'm going to have to consider what's best for her, and I know that's a house bunny home, and I know the only way for her to have that is for her to go to a new home :cry: I just can't face it

I'm so sorry Catherine. You've absolutely given it your all, 10 attempts its loads. She really doesn't like other bunnies does she :( Wishing you lots of vibes for difficult decisions ahead

I'm so sorry to read this Catherine. She is such a beautiful rabbit and I know just how hard you've tried.

I know you were dreading that this would be the outcome. Maybe if she was rehomed locally you would still be able to visit her. You couldn't have done more - ten attempts at bonding is above and beyond what most people would do. I'm so sorry, I know this must be breaking your heart.

I can see how upsetting, and frustrating, it is for you. You've certainly given her every chance to find a buddy x

It sounds like you've done your best and we have to accept there are certain things we have no control over.

I'm no expert on bonding, but how about keeping a companion rabbit next to River? My situation is a bit different in that I have the two rabbits that I have - I haven't tried different potential companions but my two rabbits are not bonded and even though I really tried hard, they always ended up fighting, so currently they live parallel lives, next two each other. Both have plenty of space, the can see each other (which I'm sure they get some reassurance from) but their runs are separated by a few inches, so they can't fight. I let them out whenever I can, sometimes one at a time, but when I have the opportunity and I can supervise them very closely, they can come out together. It seems to work reasonably well. They still don't really like each other very much but they are less confrontational.

Of course I do hope that one day they might accept each other. Who knows, maybe after several months they will be friends but if it doesn't work out, I still think they can live fairly contented lives and I still think it's better than one rabbit on her own.

I was going to suggest possibly having another but separated. I know thats not recommended but i think occasionally you do get rabbits that like being on their own. I remember as a child we had rabbits and the 2 girls didnt get on and then when one girl died we got a boy and they didnt get on either but lived next to each other and could see each other all the time. When the second girl died the boy pined for her even though they never actually lived together, he must have still enjoyed her company. After that we didnt get more and he lived about 11 years on his own and seemed okay about it.

Back