• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Netherland Dwarf, has trouble standing and flops over when trying to run

Yes, it was .18. Sorry, busy day. We lost his pen mate Rene today. See the other post. Thanks and we will keep every one updated on Percy's progress. So far getting better each day.

That makes more sense !! I was a bit :shock: when I read 1.8ml !!

Great to hear that Percy is slowly improving xx

Percy has not improved in the last three days or so. He still has the slow shakes, about once every second. Does anyone know if this is a normal recovery for this parasite? He is still getting .18 mL a day. Still eating fine as far as I can tell.

Percy has not improved in the last three days or so. He still has the slow shakes, about once every second. Does anyone know if this is a normal recovery for this parasite? He is still getting .18 mL a day. Still eating fine as far as I can tell.

Any recovery from the effects of EC can take months, in some cases. As previously mentioned, Fenbendazole will not 'cure' the damage already done, it will just reduce the number of EC spores still remaining in the bloodstream. Some improvement in EC related neurological symptoms can occur, but that is due to the neurological 'rewiring' to compensate for the damaged parts. If you see what I mean. The reason that it is also necessary to give a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Meloxicam is that cellular damage is done as EC spores erupt into various organs/CNS causing an inflammatory response. Put simply- EC spores erupt into organ/CNS tissue- inflammation is the response - longterm cellular damage occurs- clinical symptoms present. So the idea of treating with Fenbendazole is to reduce the number of spores that could potentially do more damage and the Meloxicam is given to minimise the inflammatory response that occurs to erupting EC spores.

'Active' EC is not a condition that is always quick to resolve and there is no guarantee that all symptoms will ever fully resolve. It is a case of pressing on with treatment and giving any additional supportive Nursing Care that may be necessary. Even if EC does cause permanent neurological damage many Rabbits can adapt and learn to cope with their disability. EC does also effect the Kidneys, so this is something to be mindful of as EC related renal damage is not something that 'gets better'. A full blood profile at some stage would be a good idea, to assess renal function. If there has been any renal damage and kidney function is compromised then additional medication may be needed as well as some dietary modification. Also, if Meloxicam is given then it is especially important for the Vet to assess the Rabbit's Renal function. Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are contraindicated if the Rabbit has kidney damage. The Vet would need to have all the facts (from blood testing) to enable him/her to decide on the most appropriate longterm treatment for the individual Rabbit.

Have another read of the information about EC:

https://www.vets-now.com/pet-care-advice/e-cuniculi-in-rabbits/

Hi there :)

I'm sorry to hear that Percy isn't making any appreciable improvement of late. I can understand your concerns.

If the diagnosis is correct, and it is E.C., recovery times are very variable. As I mentioned at the beginning of your thread, I have known a rabbit recover on Panacur alone within days and show improvement literally overnight. However, sometimes recovery can take much longer, and you may always see residual symptoms of the original illness.

Fenbendazole does eradicate the spores from the system, but sometimes the damage that is done isn't reversed. Often I have found it can be, but not always.

Are you still giving Metacam - a non steroidal anti-inflammatory? This is necessary to prevent the eruption of E.C. spores into organs such as the brain and kidneys which are particularly vulnerable, and causing an inflammatory response. It might be a good idea to talk with your vet about having a full blood profile taken, because as I've mentioned previously, E.C. can cause issues in the kidneys. Your vet can then weigh up the pros and cons of prescribing Metacam, which it's believed can be particularly hard on the kidneys.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Encephalitozoonosis.htm

Wishing Percy all good vibes!

Back