• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving house rabbits outside

hoppin_mad

Young Bun
Morning,

I was wondering if I have left it too late to move my house rabbits outside? I am planning on moving them into an insulated shed with attached aviary.

No, you should just about be ok if you do it very soon. The nights aren't too cold at the moment.

Morning,

I was wondering if I have left it too late to move my house rabbits outside? I am planning on moving them into an insulated shed with attached aviary.

So long as we don't get a cold snap you and they should be fine.

If you leave it too late, they haven't got time to grow their furry winter coats. Here at the moment it's warm and mild - I would have no problem in moving them now :)

As MightyMax says - depends where you live - here in the South East of England I would not have any worries about it. Neither the horses nor the rabbits have started growing their winter coat.

In general, what I have seen with our rabbits is that they tolerate cold (especially dry cold) much better than heat. Our Toffy was a garden rabbit and although she had a warm hutch, with the usual comforts - thick bedding - she never ever used it. Even in the winter she preferred sitting on the grass. On a similar note, the two I have right don't know what to do with themselves when it gets hot. They are totally flaked out, lying in the shade.

They don't like it when the weather is very wet but you can always cover their run.

Back